retro SFSX with already installed Orbx

G'Day Nick ------ et al

Would you answer this here please  - or ship it across to Central Forum for an answer?

I want to set up a separate SFSX sim in addition to my P3D and XP11 sims which have Orbx products exclusive.

and all installed/set up by Central in respective sim library.

I have P3D sim and Orbx - on it's own 2 TB disc -(with ample room for SFSX sim) - or I have an exclusive Steam 500 GB disc

for all my Steam games - planty space for the sim - but would not have enough space for the all the Orbx @ 204 GB current

Can I  - in Central - having installed my Steam FSX again - ask it to install selected Orbx (eg TE UK pack) 

as installed in P3D Sim directory -  to the SFX sim Directory. I don't really want to have a separate area as a library - as mooted

when others want to save disc space

(Or --- is there a simple way - like copy Orbx in P3d and paste in SFSX) ??????

I am taking the retro step -  because quite a few old models of FSX aircraft - particularly SFX only warbirds - are going cheap

in Just Flight i.e. - the older GA and pre jet British A/C - Vickers Viscount - Dove etc -  aircraft of my generation

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

the True Earth products are not available for FSX, so I am afraid that for them, the answer is no.

You can use Orbx Central to install all Orbx products that are available for FSX.

Thanks Nick

I still have UK1.6 - so that will do me fine - with the Global and Europe LC for BEA flights 

and will check all my Oceana stuff for original Qantas/NZ aircraft. I know the airfields haven't changed.

Hi Nick - sorry to have to come back

How can I get Central to recognise that I have Steam FSX installed ??

It's only showing P3D and XP11 - and of course in P3D it shows Any of my scenes as already installed

and I cant get beyond that point  to Steam FSX

Steam SFX

It is definitely installed - just did the basic test flight - full file in Explorer

Just tested Central again - only brings up P3D and XP11 - no FSX!!

Scenery lists just the usual FSX basic install - but mentions Orbx 2nd line

which may be a hang on from earlier install that I dropped in May - Australia is the 3rd line

Just reinstalled Central  - no change - I don't think is i the cause - But  one strange thing -  is the page doesn't fit in full

ie  extend downwards to show the settings button etc as shown on the Orbx home screen Central Downloads

Sometime ago - I tried to tell the Central guys that it will not fit on my 43"4K screen - which means that I can.t access all of the screen at once

I tied all they suggested inc screen shape etc. Screen is TV but run by Nvidia @ 3840x2160  native

I think they gave up - I heard no more 

This SS is what I always get - and after sliding the screen 1833470791_Annotation2020-01-03201513.thumb.jpg.50012fbcf0163a0d9001ce15566bfdbb.jpgaround   - I get to read and download/install  what I want

Hello,

you might be able to resize Orbx Central by editing

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Orbx\Central\central.json

The red numbers determine the size.

Also what level have you set the Windows scaling to?

"window": {
    "height": 880,
    "width": 1506,
    "x": 102,
    "y": 40,
    "isMaximized": false

Try resetting the FSX registry entry this way.

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

894232808_Annotation2020-01-03213228.thumb.jpg.063bbc73c43aef4f951671fc6e1df07c.jpg63679083_Annotation2020-01-03212322.thumb.jpg.b78f6f357d408437bf931d16067ef907.jpgHello,

you might be able to resize Orbx Central by editing

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Orbx\Central\central.json

The red numbers determine the size.

Also what level have you set the Windows scaling to?

"window": {
    "height": 880,
    "width": 1506,
    "x": 102,
    "y": 40,
    "isMaximized": false

Try resetting the FSX registry entry this way.

Hello Again Nick

Sorry to be a pain

First I tried you Central sizing trick but it didn't work - on Opening Central oversizes width by 5"/6 " on the 43 " screen

and the height is short by  "x" amount which equates to all on original splash screen Orbx Direct missing from

aircraft downwards

In other words the mods failed

2 screenshots show what I am missing - and what I get  ------ and the other - the mods and original entry

I went thro the whole of your Tweak trick - exactly - but no change apparent when Central loaded

ie No FSX offered for installation as per previous SS --- each step was exactly as you demonstrated

I repeat FSX is working OK

Me again Nick - "one Small Step for some - But for me???

I have again (3x) gone thro the Registry Tweak as per your instructions - see SS 1

Can you see anything I missed? - (and yes! - I did press exit each time)

Second SS shows exactly what I get on my 43" - when bringing up Central

Just a thought ?? - If somehow (???) -  I can reinstall the old Central - maybe that will work??

Annotation 2020-01-04 172032.jpg

Hi Nick

I didn't have 3 hours ago when the boss lady was screaming for me to come and  get my dinner - 

but by mistake - I turned the comp off  --something that I do not normally do - preferring it to "sleep"

I've just come  back on the comp. - started the Comp. -  and got a Central that fit the screen immediately

with the words Steam - FSX - and I went to Global - and it said --- "INSTALL" 

Bingo!!!!!!

Nick - many thanks for your precious time and your help - may I offer a small piece of advice??

Just add "Restart" immediately after press "Enter"

• 3 weeks later...

Just when you think you have it good - fate attacks you again !!!

To recap all above - I finally got Central to install all my Orbx scenery - into FSX.SE

except the UK TEs as pointed out by Nick - and I thought Central gave me a full screen

The reason for going back to FSX was purely mercenary in that I found I could get some of the old 

British A/c of my time in the war and the 50s/60s - cheap on just flight and some freebies elsewhere

Ever since I went from my 43" HD monitor (N vidia driven) - to the latest HDR 4K  -  I have had lots of problems

with all the sims from picture size - small print - etc - the list is long - P3D not so bad - XP 11 just  tolerable at 200%

- but it is was particularly bad with FSX.SE - that all the foregoing was all about.

(No sim seems to have caught up with 4K resolution - and 8K is on the horizon)

So today I changed my whole set ups - to  return my PC to the old 43" HD 1K monitor - and just use the 4K for X Box One X gaming

Testing P3D and an improved XP 11 - FSX.SE was back to how it used to be years ago  - when I could read the settings etc

Took my first flight  - Tiger Moth - from GC airport YBCG - and one again there were Trees sticking up on the hard standing

I remembered Graham Eccleston's solution given to someone else in November - and worked for me as well last month - 

and I also tried my Orbx Moorabbin A/P and lots of little black squares all over the place

" - select Settings/Insertion Point. Tick the option Enable Legacy Layering and close Orbx Central."

I went to Central - which updated itself from 033 - to 048? - and once again I could not get a full screen as I should that shows 

Settings - personal info etc.- so I couldn't try Grahams solution - because since - Utilities were added to the page - the greater depth is not available

for  ---- Settings - Orbx customer - My products - Downloads etc

In windows I changed the HD 1K size settings from 150% recommended -  to 100% and 125% as offered.

and now Central will not appear in full window no matter what size is set - although it sits in the task bar.

Complete Uninstall - (inc CC registry) - and reinstall - gives no change

So my problem of trees etc - and use of settings in Central - is not available to me - because I cannot get any Central  - of any size!

Nick - I need your help again -Please

Hello John,

please try deleting C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Orbx\Central\central.json.

This will remove all your preferences but should also reset the screen position and location

of Orbx Central.

As an aside, I now have two identical 2k monitors. They are both connected by Display Port.

The PC does not therefore detect them when it boots unless they are already on.

I find that if neither is on at boot time, I see very small icons and text when one is switched on and

that if I have one switched on, load P3D and then switch the second one on, when full screen is 

selected, P3D disappears from both screens.

If both are on when I start P3D, it works as expected.

I suppose the crux of my point is that software of all kinds does not respond well to changes to the

configuration of monitors and/or their screen resolutions.

Thanks Nick - Have done that - but no change - Central still on task bar - admin privs - no main picture

its way past an old man's  bedtime - so first thing tomorrow  - I will do another clean out - of both \local and \roaming

in user - crap clean - re-install  -- reboot with monitor on - (Samsung 43" tv 1980 x1080 - driven by N vidia 1050TI)

and cross fingers

Should Central appear on screen - I will then try the window resizes - they recommend 150%

or is there anywhere else I can find the settings

With the new Central - ie in the last 36 hours - can you scribe down in the P3D page  - down to the bottom

so many items on the page - lot more than XP11- but no settings there either

nitre nite John

Hi Nick

Fingers crossed seems to have worked - TW!!

I did all that I said - deleted every thing I could find on Central - crap cleaned - restarted.

Orbx direct - installed Central  - all sims showing - and went thro all installation questions - restarted

Went to Page P3D and page stopped at Utilities - XP at me (JTH) - FSX.SE stopped at utilites

All attempted in windows screen set up 150%

Dropped window setting to 100% - full central screen obtained on all sims - and no reduction in font size

Did the Graham Eccleston solution - in FSX SE - and now I can park my Tiger Moth on concrete that  has no trees

YCGC back to normal - exercise completed - returned to 150% because in other functions EG Browser - Fonts are tiny.

So - it looks to me  - that 2 things need to be sorted with developers of various sims and accessories

They have not yet caught up with 4K monitors of any size - ie - 3840x2160 UHD resolution. ( 8K is here already)

and are not designing size elements for large screen monitors - ie 43" TVs of either 4 K UHD - or 1K HD - 1920x1080

This is partly recognised by Windows automatically recognising large screens -  and recommending 150% for HD  - and 300% for UHD - in settings

and XP11 that makes provision for 200% screen size - except for the font size of screen menus.

Nick - you said - 

"I suppose the crux of my point is that software of all kinds does not respond well to changes to the

configuration of monitors and/or their screen resolutions."

I think we have just proved it!! - (please chat with the Central developers in the case of Orbx Central)

(PS - JV is on record of using 8K for sizing tests)

4 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello John,

please see here.

I took step one since it was the easiest and comments on google seemed to think that

direct X wasn't important in  FSX - P3D is taken care of with direct 11

So no blocks any more - as I can see in 3 short flights around OZ and Paris

Thanks again -but I have another query leading from all above in the next Item 

Moorabbin Airport - no blocks.jpg

Archived