Missing most AI traffic!

Mac6737

I recently purchased the Orbx AI traffic packages for AU/NZ and North America.  Didn't notice anything amiss, but eventually realized I was seeing MUCH less AI traffic.  For instance, in a half hour flight around Chicago (KORD), I spotted only one AI plane, a 747 landing.  Same story in Australia, Cairns and Bundaberg.

I upgraded to P3D less than a year ago.  There is no scenery other than Orbx on my rig.  Someone on the FlightSim forum suggested that I download a freeware program called "AI Flight Planner" to search for possible FS9 files in my system and convert them to FSX (which he says P3D uses for these purposes), but I am skeptical, and don't like to mess with files when I have no idea what I am doing.

I can't claim my recent Orbx purchases have anything to do with this.  There is at least some AI traffic.  And yes, my traffic sliders are right up there.  And yes, there are boats and cars as appropriate.

Thanks all,

Mac6737     

Hi Mac.

If you have just one FS9 AI model, you will see no AI traffic at all. A FS9 model kills the AI system all together.

If I remember correctly,  the Orbx Australia package does contain some airline traffic, but not all and the schedules are very out of date. I don't think the package has been updated.  As for the North American package, for memory again, it only contains GA aircraft, so you won't see much at KORD, only the default traffic that came with P3D.

If you want to have heaps of AI traffic, go to the Alpha India web site and get yourself a copy of AI Manager- One click Installer (free).

Then go to Wikipedia for the airport you are interested in and see what airlines fly into that airport, there is a list at the bottom of the page, passengers and freight,  then select those airlines from the AI Manager page.

Do that for every airport you use and soon you will have a sky full of AI traffic with realistic models.

I believe the AI Manager One Click Installer is one of the best AI programs out there, and is continually updated.

Hi Chris,

I fly mainly in Oceania these days, and am pretty happy with my AI here, but I occasionally venture into US territory.

One such venture was into Orbx's Honolulu, with FSDT's PHNL …. but the airport is desperately crying out for AI traffic.

Would Alpha India's AI software allow for the trafficking of just a single airport  ….. is it just a matter of nominating PHNL, and listing  a bunch of airlines that fly there 

to generate the traffic and "bingo", or do all the airports they fly from have to also be entered etc etc?  If it is that simple, it would seem the ideal solution (sounds too good to be true), and if it isn't, it would probably not justify the effort.    Sounds good though.

Your thoughts ….. cheers

Hi Tom,  Not really.  Like I said above, select the airport in Wikipedia and get the list of airlines that fly to that airport, then select those same airlines in AIG-OCI list and then PHNL will fill up.

Of course, each aircraft will fly to its intended destination, and arriving aircraft will come from their respective departure airports.

They all leave and arrive at their real world counterparts at the correct times.

So, for example, Air New Zealand will leave Auckland at the schedule time and arrive in PHNL at the correct time.  If you happen to be in Auckland at the right time, you will see that flight depart.  If you happen to be in the middle of the Pacific in the right place at the right time, you will see that aircraft fly by.

Chris. 

List for PHNL

Kuala Lumpur–International, Osaka–Kansai [78]
Air Canada Vancouver
Seasonal: Toronto–Pearson
[79]
Air New Zealand Auckland [80]
Alaska Airlines Anchorage, Los Angeles, Oakland, Portland (OR), San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose (CA), Seattle/Tacoma [81]
All Nippon Airways Tokyo–Haneda, Tokyo–Narita [82]
American Airlines Dallas/Fort Worth, Los Angeles, Phoenix–Sky Harbor
Seasonal: Chicago–O'Hare
[83]
Asiana Airlines Seoul–Incheon [84]
China Airlines Taipei–Taoyuan [85]
China Eastern Airlines Shanghai–Pudong [86]
Delta Air Lines Atlanta, Los Angeles, Nagoya–Centrair, Osaka–Kansai, Salt Lake City, Seattle/Tacoma, Tokyo–Haneda (begins March 28, 2020),[87] Tokyo–Narita (ends March 27, 2020)[87]
Seasonal: Detroit (ends April 10, 2020), Minneapolis/St. Paul
[88]
Fiji Airways Apia–Faleolo, Kiritimati, Nadi [89]
Hawaiian Airlines Auckland, Boston, Brisbane, Fukuoka, Hilo, Kahului, Kailua–Kona, Kapalua, Lanaʻi, Las Vegas, Lihue, Long Beach, Los Angeles, Molokai, New York–JFK, Oakland, Osaka–Kansai, Pago Pago, Papeete, Phoenix–Sky Harbor, Portland (OR), Sacramento, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose (CA), Sapporo–Chitose, Seattle/Tacoma, Seoul–Incheon, Sydney, Tokyo–Haneda, Tokyo–Narita [90]
Japan Airlines Nagoya–Centrair, Osaka–Kansai, Tokyo–Haneda (resumes March 28, 2020),[91] Tokyo–Narita [92]
Jetstar Airways Melbourne, Sydney [93]
Jin Air Seoul–Incheon [94]
Korean Air Seoul–Incheon, Tokyo–Narita [95]
Mokulele Airlines Kahului, Kailua–Kona, Kalaupapa, Kapalua, Molokai [96]
Philippine Airlines Manila [97]
Qantas Sydney [98]
Southwest Airlines Hilo (begins January 19, 2020), Kahului, Kailua-Kona, Lihue, Oakland, Sacramento, San Diego (begins April 20, 2020),[99] San Jose (CA) [100]
Sun Country Airlines Seasonal: Los Angeles, Portland (OR), San Francisco [101]
United Airlines Chicago–O'Hare, Chuuk, Denver, Guam, Houston–Intercontinental, Kosrae, Kwajalein, Los Angeles, Majuro, Newark, Pohnpei, San Francisco, Tokyo–Narita, Washington–Dulles [102]
WestJet Vancouver
Seasonal: Calgary, Edmonton
[103]

Cargo[edit]

Airlines Destinations
Aloha Air Cargo Hilo, Kahului, Kailua–Kona, Las Vegas, Lihue, Los Angeles
Amazon Air Riverside
Asia Pacific Airlines Guam, Kiritimati, Kwajalein, Majuro, Pago Pago, Pohnpei
Corporate Air Kalaupapa, Kamuela, Kapalua, Lanai, Lihue, Molokai
DHL Aviation Cincinnati, Fairfield, Fussa, Kadena, Osan, Sydney
FedEx Express Auckland, Los Angeles, Memphis, Oakland, Ontario, Sydney
Ohana by Hawaiian Hilo, Lihue
Transair Hilo, Kahului, Kailua–Kona, Lanai, Lihue, Molokai, Waimea–Kohala
UPS Airlines Guam, Hong Kong, Kahului, Kailua–Kona, Long Beach, Louisville, Ontario, Phoenix, San Bernardino, San Diego, Seoul–Incheon, Sydney

Thanks for the reply Chris.

Yes I understood that I would have to get a list of Airlines flying into PHNL from Wikipedia, and enter them into the Alpha India software, and I presume the list could be somewhat abbreviated, whilst at the same time being sufficient to generate an alive airport as opposed to currently almost dead. Hawaiian Air alone would generate  a heap of movements. 

Would a comprehensive listing generate computer demands that would stretch capacity …. I have an i7 7700k oc'd to 4.8, and a GTX 1080Ti …… I suspect just the listing of a dozen airlines would generate enough traffic for my needs. It's a pretty busy airport …. I was there a couple of months back ….. we got in early from Sydney with Hawaiian, and had to sit on the taxiway for some 20 minutes waiting for our bay to become vacant.

Cheers and thanks again, if just a handful of airlines will work, I'll go down that track.   T.

• 2 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 4:06 PM, Chris.D said:

If you want to have heaps of AI traffic, go to the Alpha India web site and get yourself a copy of AI Manager- One click Installer (free).

Then go to Wikipedia for the airport you are interested in and see what airlines fly into that airport, there is a list at the bottom of the page, passengers and freight,  then select those airlines from the AI Manager page.

Do that for every airport you use and soon you will have a sky full of AI traffic with realistic models.

I believe the AI Manager One Click Installer is one of the best AI programs out there, and is continually updated.

Chris,

I finally returned to this issue after my AI traffic went to ZERO (except in Australia, where I have installed the freeware AI package).  I have no idea what's going on, and I get no answers from several forums.

So I thought I'd try your fix.  I went to the AIGroup website.  No way to download AI Manager.  Went to their forum.  Required to register: requires answers to 5 questions, including Heathrow's IATA code and the number of engines on a 767.  The answers are EGLL and 2.  The registration wizard said those responses were wrong, and therefore denied my request to register.  There is no way to contact anyone at AI Group through the website.  

Not your fault, obviously, but I need to vent.  AI Manager may be a great program, as you say, but whoever designed their website needs a brain transplant.

Mac6737 

Sorry Mac, the IATA code for Heathrow is LHR.

The quote is from Wikipedia.

Heathrow Airport, also known as London Heathrow[3] (IATA: LHR, ICAO: EGLL), is a major international airport in London, United Kingdom.

Once you get logged into the forum, you will have to navigate here  https://www.alpha-india.net/forums/index.php?topic=28686.0  

to download the software.

You have to be logged in so the program can download the flight plans and the aircraft.

Just be careful where you install the software, mine is on a separate drive with plenty of free space. My files have grown to 30 odd GB.

Even though you will have a lot of data, the performance of the sim is not impacted.

To install, make a new folder first on your selected drive, I called my folder "AIG AI Manager", and put the downloaded zip file in there and then unzip the file to the same folder.  This helps with the updates down the track.

Once unzipped, have a good read of "Manual" and "Tutorial_OCI"  .pdfs

Easy to install and easy to use.

PS.  Missed a bit, you will have to have accounts at Flightsim.com and Avsim.com so you can get the aircraft models.  The downloads are automatic once you are setup on those sites.

A couple of samples.

KLAX  Terminals 4 & 5, International at left.

VBjbu7a.jpg

KLAX Terminals 5, 6, & 7

k688FOP.jpg

KORD 8 am

Cg2Bb63.jpg

Chris.

Just a quick followup that may help fellow simmers.

You can go to  https://jcai.dk to get updated and enhanced AFCAD files for lots of airports.

This will place aircraft at the correct gates at the correct terminals. and cargo aircraft at the cargo terminals.

Also, if you are missing Dynamic lighting at older publications of airports, eg. Orbx YBBN, you can pick up the enhancement files here, plenty to choose from.

https://www.inibuilds.com/dynamic-lighting

Chris.

Mac, Orbx North America AI is General Aviation only. You would need to use another package (with the Orbx AI GA) to get a full range of airline AI. The Australia/NZ AI has both GA and airline traffic but of course only for those airlines that fly into or within AUS/NZ. You need to set the volumes of traffic in P3Dv4 which you say you have done. I see plenty of AI at Australian major airports and have Traffic set at around 30% for the airports like Melbourne.

Bernie

14 hours ago, BernieFlyer said:

Mac, Orbx North America AI is General Aviation only. You would need to use another package (with the Orbx AI GA) to get a full range of airline AI. The Australia/NZ AI has both GA and airline traffic but of course only for those airlines that fly into or within AUS/NZ. You need to set the volumes of traffic in P3Dv4 which you say you have done. I see plenty of AI at Australian major airports and have Traffic set at around 30% for the airports like Melbourne.

Bernie,

I understand that.  I am content with Australia now.  As for NA, I would be happy with the default as it was before about 4 months ago.

Meanwhile, I discovered something that may be relevant:  In P3D/scenery/world/scenery I found a folder styled "trafficAircraft.bgl-disabled-by-aitraffic-aunz-p3dv4."   Doesn't that mean that I shouldn't expect to see AI traffic at all except in AUNZ?  If so, can you tell me how to get back to where I was before?  I don't really care about special AI in AUNZ.

Mac6737  

17 hours ago, Chris.D said:

Sorry Mac, the IATA code for Heathrow is LHR.

The quote is from Wikipedia.

Whoops.  But please don't tell my a 767 does not have 2 engines.

Maybe I don't have to get onto the forum to DL AI Manager.  We'll see.

Those screenshots look great.

Also, please see my response to Bernie.  I can't believe my problem doesn't have something to do with the fact that trafficAircraft.bgl is "disabled."

Mac6737

3 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

you can either use the control panel or you can manually rename the file to trafficAircraft.bgl

Thank you Nick.

Sorry I am not more adept.  "Use the control panel"?  You mean the Windows 10 control panel?  If so, what could I do there? 

I know how to rename a file, but doing that would not seem to get rid of the .json file I found in P3D/Orbx/config that contained the instruction to disable trafficAircraft.bgl. 

In any case, since my posts this morning, and discovering the disabled bgl file, I went to Orbx Central and uninstalled AUNZ AI traffic.  That returned trafficAircraft.bgl to its former glory and also completely rewrote the .json file, so it no longer contained an instruction to disable.  Then I opened up the sim, and had traffic at the gates and in the air!  Oh joy!

Not to belabor the point, but I tried this in December.  Not sure why it didn't work then, but if the problem crops up again, at least I'll know where to look.

Finally: the AUNZ traffic package is freeware, but still: why are we not warned that installing it will disable all other AI?  That's kind of an extreme negative.  I understand that the AUNZ manual (p. 5) indicates that you can "select global P3D default AI," which might have fixed my problem.  However, the same page tells the user to access the "AI Traffic Control Panel" from the FTX Central interface Configure button.  Sorry, we all had to convert to Orbx Central.  There is no FTX Central Configure button!

Mac6737 

Hello,

each Orbx AI installation has a control panel.

In Orbx Central, the control panel for a product is accessed by visiting that

product's Orbx central page and clicking on configure.

It seems that the manual is accurate except for reading FTX instead of Orbx,

after all, there was no "Configure" tab in FTX Central, it was labelled "Control Panel".

7.jpg

The Australia and New Zealand AI control panel has a cleary labeled tick box at the top

which allows the customer to switch the default AI on or off.

8.jpg

Customer intervention in this very simple process is entirely unnecessary and not supported, however the simple renaming of the 

file to trafficAircraft.bgl remains valid advice, as it is what the tick box in the control panel does.

Nick,

Yup.  If I had found that screen when I entered Configure from the AU AI Traffic screen in Orbx Central, I would have had no problem. 

At risk of wasting time (hey, I'm retired!) I actually reinstalled the damn thing.  Again, it disabled trafficAircraft.bgl.  And here's what I now see when I go to the Configure screen:

As you can see, I never had the option of "selecting" the P3D default traffic. 

I notice, BTW, that your panel does not include "P3Dv4" in its heading.  Just a thought.

Mac6737

AUNZ AI Traffic Configure.jpg.jpg

21 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

If it is not yet installed, yes, install it first and then replace the file.

Nick,

Well, I tried.  Perhaps I don't understand the procedure.  I reinstalled AU AI Traffic and then put the "attached file" in Orbx/scripts.  But it is not an xml file.  It is an "internet interface."  If I DL the file, I get about 2 pages of text on my screen, which I suppose is the readable content of the xml file.  But I do not know how to retrieve the xml file itself.

Mac6737 

53 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

of course it is an .xml file.

Save the file first and then copy and paste the whole file.

Don't open it.

I was about to post you to say "Oh, never mind."  I figured it out. 

However, FWIW:  Even after I overwrote the old xml file (4 KB) with the new one (5.73 KB), the trafficAircraft.bgl was STILL disabled by the json file.  So I moved the json file out of the sim and manually renamed the bgl to what it should be.  It snapped back to 22 MG!

Then I opened P3D to YBBN, and everything was there at the gates, plus some air traffic.:rollmyeyes:

Mac6737

Hello,

the idea was to replace the control panel xml file and then use the revised control panel to make the changes.

I am not sure that we have, at any point during this exchange, been on the same page.:)

As you have chosen your own course of action and achieved the same, I have marked this as resolved.

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 5:31 PM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

the idea was to replace the control panel xml file and then use the revised control panel to make the changes.

Yes, I believe that's what I did.  I agree it's resolved.

Thanks again for your gracious help.

Mac6737

• 3 months later...

Archived