Huge hardware upgrade.

cirurgiao

I`m completing a new pc for simulation: Asus Prime X299 motherboard + I9-10940X processor + Geforce GTX 2080TI graphic card + 128GB DDR4 3000 RAM (8X16GB Corsair Vengeance). Will use the same 3 1TB SSD configuration that I have now in my "old" pc (one for OS, one for P3Dv4.5+, one for sceneries addons) and I have just one question for ORBX people.

After installing Win10 64bit Pro (new install) in C drive, with P3Dv4.5+ in 2nd SSD drive can I just plug 3rd SSD drive (containing ORBX and aerosoft's sceneries) and it will work or do I need to make a new install?

Tks

I really hope you are going to use this monster of a rig for something else than P3D... Otherwise, sorry to say, this is a total waste of money. For half of the price, you could have get yourself a i9-9900K which would provide more performance in P3D due to higher clock rates or a AMD Ryzen CPU with only two cores less but better results in many benchmarks...

To your question: I guess this will work, if you then re-install ORBX Central on your new rig and tell ORBX Central where your addons are stored. It might re-download some files, but generally it should work.

First of all tks for answering so soon, AnkH.

I'm not an expert so I thought that an I9-9900K (LGA1151-8cores@3.60GHz-up to 5.00GHz) would be much slower than an I9-10940X(LGA2066-14cores@3.30GHz-up to 4.60GHz) and I confess that I'll be very disappointed if you are right. My reason was that 8cores@3.60GHz would give a total 28.8 against 46.2 gross but if the only thing that matters is the 3.60(up to 5.00) or 3.30(up to 4.60) not considering number of cores then I really spent A LOT OF MONEY FOR GETTING A "FASTER" PROCESSOR AND EVERYTHING RELATED (LGA2066 motherboard for example). Since I paid for it and can't go back will have to live with this kind of mistake. I had an I7-4960X-6cores@3.60GHz & GeForce GTX 1070 and if you say that this rig will be almost as good as my new hardware I'll have difficulty not commiting suicide for my stupidity... :(:angry:

About reinstalling ORBX Central 4 can you explain how do I tell ORBX Central where my addons are stored? Sorry if it seems a dumb question.

It is absolutely like this. Those X299 based Processors are multicore monsters for rendering etc. Although P3Dv4 greatly improved the multicore support, it is still the "old" FSX engine basis and as such, it is still more beneficial if you have 8 cores running at 5.0GHz compared to 14 cores running at 4.6GHz (or even lower, I doubt that the all core turbo is 4.6GHz...). Even if it is not a huge difference and you will of course be able to run P3Dv4.5 nicely on the i9-10940X, the price difference is so huge that I consider it waste of money for Prepar3d. Also a X299 mainboard is way more expensive than a solid Z390 mainboard and 128GB of RAM is an absolute overkill for P3D, 32GB is already more than you need.

BTW: you calculation is just plain wrong, you can not simply multiply the clock rate of a core times the number of cores. I really suggest you do some reading about hardware. Example:  https://www.anandtech.com/show/15039/the-intel-core-i9-10980xe-review/12 You will see that for gaming, for example GTA 5, this monster CPU with 14 cores is not on par with a 9900K. And for P3D, it is about the same... So sorry, no other verdict possible: unless you use the rig for rendering and multicore applications, you wasted quiet an amount of money for nothing...

Topic: you can tell ORBX where to put your library. All in the settings. If you tell ORBX that your library/Prepar3d folder is on this specific drive, it will recognize your products. Maybe you need to once run "verify files" for every product. But there is a thread about this, I just cant find the link (maybe @Nick Cooper can help?).

Hello,

if you installed all your Orbx scenery into an Orbx Central Library,

once you have installed the SSD, you should use your new copy of

Orbx Central to create a Library in the same place.

Unfortunately, Orbx Central will not allow you to do this but the workaround is simple.

Rename the folder that presently contains your Orbx Central Library, just put an x on the end.

Create a new and empty folder in the same place with the exact name of your original

Orbx Central Library folder.

Open Orbx Central and create the library in that location.

Close Orbx Central and delete the empty folder.

Rename the original folder back to its original name.

This will only work if the file structure remains exactly as Orbx Central created it.

1 - AnKH -> Sorry not calling you Chris. Just now I saw your name. I will use this new hardware for multitasking not just for simulation (tks for that) although I'm really disappointed with my naiveness (and yes, it cost A LOT OF MONEY but thankfully this money didn't come from my savings - it was an extra unexpected money :D - and I decided that my hardware needed an upgrade so I choose some of the best, like GEFORCE RTX 2080TI & 128GB - 8X16GB_CORSAIR VENGEANCE because while running P3D I run other programs too). Anyway, just so I can't feel that bad, this hardware will make P3Dv4.5+ run easily?

2 - Nick -> This was just what I needed to know

Tks both

• 6 months later...

It's been awhile since I was here and many things happened (some of them very bad indeed, covid-19 the least of them)

1 - just now I got all my equip ready for use. Could Chris give me some help (link maybe) so I can try an overclocking (trying to get more from my processor)?

2 - Nick, I followed your instruction for an Orbx folder outside P3Dv4 and it worked just fine but now I built a new pc, got a new license for P3Dv4 and followed the same instruction (Orbx empty folder inside an P3Dv4_addon drive, right-clicked in it but there is no option to create a link). Any clue?

Archived