texture flow ymml ,has anybody gain performance?

timmo32

hey guys has anybody gained any performance ,i think i only gained 2-4 frames ,tho im running dual monitors ,one dedicated to the cockpit view and the second one with the out side view,one question i have looked at the Orbx manaul and unticked the ymml Orbx scenery boxes ,but it wont let me untick the land side detail box it keeps saying cant be done?,well i have set the pc up to the Orbx recommendations,im pulling arround 9 to 14 frames at ymml ,i redownloaded ymml from the fss store ,and it did say the texture flow edition,?any ideas guys would graphic card settings help ,im using a ATI 5870,my autogen in flightsim is normal ,i have the 10.3 drivers installed in my graphics card latest ones,to give you an idea all the settings in flightsim are not all maxed out,my pc specs are posted in my signature ,your help would be great guys,many thanks.

How can I say this tactfully, hehe?

If you install YMML V1.5 and then set the sliders to what is recommended in the user guide you will see a noticeable improvement in performance. On my PC with autogen set to "Dense" I never go below 34FPS with AI traffic at 40%. I can get 50FPS locked if I use the control panel to disable eye candy and then also reduce sliders in FSX. This does not kill any visuals crucial to needed for an accurate approach, taxi and gate docking at all.

However, if you install this version, crank up all the sliders and have AI at 100% and get 14FPS then that's understandable. You just cannot run this airport with sliders maxxed - we don't even do that ourselves. Again, we emphasise that the autogen slider is all-important at YMML, as is the AI traffic slider.

YMML is a big texture airport. You need to set your expectations accordingly.

Some customer feedback over at AVSIM - http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?s=&showtopic=280175&view=findpost&p=1739824

I got a lot better performance from the Textureflow version, in terms of texture load times and framerates versus version 1.2).  For me, textureflow is obviously a very effective new feature.

However on my system the gound poly or runway textures seem to really tax my system using the Textureflow version.  Even with the 15 cm photoreal off, I get large black squares intermittently in the area around ymml and lower framerates than I get with the original YMML release in FSX native mode.

I think the sweet spot for me would be to use the textureflow version without the ground poly (ie using fsx default runway and taxiway textures).  So, my question for Marty or John is, can I manually implement 'fsx native mode' with the textureflow version?

Definitely a great improvement on my system.  The airport textures load beautifully and this is without me reading the manual and optimizing, sorry John.  A great improvement!  Well done ORBX.  When flying frame rates slow down to at worst 15 and get some black squares which fill out fairly quickly, but better than before.  But still a great improvement and when I RTFM I hope to get better.  Thanks Orbx this is great.

I hope to see Orbx demo's out at Canb airport on Sunday.  Been waiting for YSCB since Matt demoed to me at Avalon last year.

I think the sweet spot for me would be to use the textureflow version without the ground poly (ie using fsx default runway and taxiway textures).  So, my question for Marty or John is, can I manually implement 'fsx native mode' with the textureflow version?

Yes I think this would be the sweet spot for me also, so I too would like to know if with 1.5 you can revert to FSX native mode as you can with the original YMML release.  With YMML SP1 my fps are in single digits with the usual complex aircraft on approach and modest FSX settings on a middle of the road system (E8600 @ 3.3, 9800GT, Vista 64, 4 gig ram). However, I get a quite flyable 14-16 fps with the original YMML and native FSX runway textures. 

Bruce

I haven't done any "scientific" tests yet because I mostly ignore the red info like fps. All I can say is I couldnt use YMML before and now I can and not too badly at that. A big improvement for me . Cheers Team

well guys i have reset the graphics card back to defalt settings and the performance seems to be better with two monitors going i get arround 12- 16 frames,with one upto 23-25 frames not bad i thought for an awesome Orbx airport . :)

I can't say I've noticed much difference in performance.  I've been lucky I suppose and have always had acceptable performance at YMML with all items in the control panel ticked and using the same settings I use for the rest of Auistralia. 

However, I do like the texture flow effect very much and hope though updates ORBX will extend it to all areas.

John

Massive difference for me.

Before Texture flow I HAD to turn practically everything off in the YMML control panel, turn my commercial traffic down to under 10% and GA traffic to 0%, autogen lives at either Normal or Dense anyway. Every other slider set as per ORBX recommendations. Even with that I avoided flying into YMML and could never enjoy it the way Orbx intended. Indeed, it was largely wasted for me.

Now with Texture flow, I have only done one quick flight in the A2A cub (god I love that thing), YMML control panel had everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) turned on, commercial and GA traffic at 50% and all other sliders as per Orbx recommendations, and whilst still taxing on my system I CAN fly here now and enjoy this scenery. Average frame rates are around the 14-15 mark with occasional dips and peaks, heck turn the traffic down and tweak some on the control panel settings and this will be sweet. Certainly better then the 2-3 frame slide show and system overload I used to get.

My system isn't a super duper one either, its an unclocked Q6600 @ 2.4ghz, 4gb ram (only 3 used as still running Win XP) and a GT9800 512mb vid card.

I was sceptical of the claimed improvements, but I shall never doubt Orbx claims ever again! Now off to dust the PMDG 747 off and check it out!

Wade

I'm seeing just about the same as you, Wade.

Have my AI traffic set at 50% for both Commercial and GA, have everything ticked in the Control Panel except for Fences, and am getting 14-15 fps, but more importantly it is smooth, and am getting good texture loading with no delays to draw buildings etc or black squares as I was having before.

My system is much the same as yours but with an Nvidia 8800 Ultra 1Gb card and Win Vista.

I'm really pleased with this performance improvement, good job ORBX  :)

Jack

I have hardly used Melbourne since purchase because it was practically useless on my Egyptian Abacus. Frame rates were between 4-5. After loading the new file it has jumped to 9-11. I have not changed any settings so with a bit of tweaking it might become a new place to fly from. I might add that the PNW demo also runs well with the suggested settings so out with the credit card again.

Well done guy's.

• 2 weeks later...

Installed YMML 1.5 today. Sitting at Rwy 16 in the default LJ, on my laptop I did get up to 8 fps before. This has now gone up to 12 fps, so it starts to become usable now. Still hope that new H/W will deliver much more in the future.

Siggy

i run two monitors at this time with fsx spread wide across and yes it gave me a big improvement on my system it is alot smoother. so yes it does improve the performance. If your not seeing it then your doing something wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to try the texture flow version, however I purchased ymml on 18th March 1 week before v1.5 release (d'oh). I ordered cd version as I only have crappy Optus wireless usb internet. Tried downloading v1.5 from FSS but will take 4 hours and keeps dropping out around 40mb (my internet problem not FSS). Is there any way to get this v1.5 update on cd?

I would like to try the texture flow version, however I purchased ymml on 18th March 1 week before v1.5 release (d'oh). I ordered cd version as I only have crappy Optus wireless usb internet. Tried downloading v1.5 from FSS but will take 4 hours and keeps dropping out around 40mb (my internet problem not FSS). Is there any way to get this v1.5 update on cd?

Send a PM to Adrian Lehmann and he may be able to send you a DVD for the usual fee ok?

Thanks John, I managed to download at a cafe in 50 minutes (still shaking from the caffeine imbibing....).  I am trying to convince "she who must be obeyed" that we need to junk the usb modem and graduate to the world of ADSL2+....

Archived