ESGG Dynamic Lights - Performance Drop

Ste_88

Hello Guys, in this weekend I've Enjoyed ESGG Really much.

Unfortunately I've noted a performance drop when Flying during the night and dynamic lights are on.

I've noted it, also with Aircraft parked cold&dark at its stand, and i'm moving the external visual view to the main terminal.

Could you please double check it? It's a pity disable this specific setting. I've double checked with other airports i have (E.g. Kiruna, Arlanda and Beograd) and i don't suffer of this issue

Regards and congratulations for this Amazing scenery 

Hi Stefano,

Glad you enjoy the scenery and a pity that the Dynamic Lights are causing an issue for you.

We use the same effects but with slightly different colors and intensity for both ESSA and ESNQ. Compared to ESSA the number of dynamic lights are of course significantly less in number so I'm surprised you have a bigger impact at ESGG. ESGG is using more complex models and texturing than ESSA though so might be the overall complexity that adds to that.

I'll think about if something can be done to optimize them further. I've noted that the AA settings and shadows setting have a huge impact so just a tip of something you can have a look at.

Cheers,

Marcus

Hello Marcus, thanks for your appreciated support.

I'll try your suggestions, shadows should be OK, I'll see if i can act on AA Settings trying to sort it out. 

Expect some news in less than 24h 

Regards

Stefano

• 1 month later...

Hey,

Sorry, we haven't found any issues with the lights on our end. It might be that the objects are more complex at ESGG than ESSA, with some PBR-elements and normal maps, that might add to the DL impact. However, I did some testing with ESGG & ESSA to see what settings that seemed to make most difference in impact (as you said ESSA works fine) and for me it seems like autogen shadow settings and shadow quality can have a quite a big impact difference between the products. 

Shadow quality will in most cases have a big impact, especially if having autogen to cast shadows (vegetation & buildings).

As you can see in the screenshots, the drop is from 60 fps (which is as far as my P3D goes for some reason) -> 8 fps with the difference settings, however at ESSA it jumps a bit between 30-50 fps with the same settings and 60 fps when having them unticked.

Might be worth looking in to those settings in your sim? In that case it would mean that the autogen is the main difference, which could actually in some part make sense as the autogen is denser and more in the DL coverage area than at ESSA, but still, I'm surprised it is that big change (at my computer at least, with those settings).

We use the same DL (with slightly different colors) for ESSA and ESGG, and we have way less placements of the effect at ESGG due to the size, so there is not that much we can do regarding the effect itself.

DL_1.thumb.jpg.da36b280b7942df94daeda44afd58f62.jpg

With higher shadow quality and vegetation & buildings ticked. With only higher shadow quality set I got around 30 at ESGG.

DL_2.thumb.jpg.7a2c9f3f74f7fc1ce93727dbfd6fc4d2.jpg

ESSA same settings.

DL_4.thumb.jpg.051a8bb40bf8e206b2abdfe5c29692f2.jpg

Since a few weeks now I have significant slump in full screen mode. This affects the entire P3D. I think it is an interaction between Win10, NVIDIA Control Panel, NVIDIA Inspector, P3D graphic settings and my LG monitor menu. It is very difficult to find out the reason. There are many solution s in forums. But I think it always depends on your own system.
I am on the long way for a solution and my beard is getting longer.
If I have it (for my system), I will report and hopefully I and the forum will still exist.

• 2 weeks later...

What AA level do you use? And what are your computer specs? Sometimes, there can be done nothing about bad DL performance, as it is very heavy on performance. In my case, I have to reduce my AA from 2xSSAA I use normally to 8xMSAA on most airports in night time, as my 1080Ti can simply not deliver enough FPS with DL on and SSAA on heavy airports...

We haven't progressed in this matter since we spoke last time. To be honest we haven't been able to reproduce the issue and the amount of users having problems with fps at ESGG in general or DL in particular are very limited, so where we stand at this point is that we don't really have any clue why it is performing so bad on a few systems.

As Chris mentioned, AA setting for sure also has a big impact on DL, but as you also said you have it working great at ESSA which uses the same DL so...

Only thing I could think of would be the PBR somehow messes with your system or the snowpiles.

You could try changing these files from .bgl to.off or just remove them from the folder while trying:

ESGG_GRD_PBR_Rain.bgl

ESGG_GRD_PBR_Rain2.bgl

Also untick all options in the ESGG Config tool to make sure it has nothing to do with grass, or snow-effect. Those effects differ a bit from the ones we used at ESSA as well (well we didnt have snowpiles at ESSA to be fair).

Thanks @Marcus Nyberg and @AnkH for the suggestions. The AA seems not a problem. I've tried also with the .off suggestion on PBR bgl.

The only way i have to resolve this issue is to remove the option "Dynamic Lights" from the configurator no other things. 

My rig spec: Win 10 X64 Pro, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-I Gaming, Intel Core i7-8700K 6x 3.70GHz Coffee Lake (Turbo: 6x4.7GHz), 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Kit DDR4-3000, ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB, SSD Drive, Corsair Hydro Series H115i Pro.

On 2/11/2020 at 10:00 AM, Ste_88 said:

Hello @Marcus Nyberg any news on that? 

Regards

One more thing though. Have you tried uninstalling the scenery and checking the area so it performs well without the scenery?

You could also try to disable some files and see if we can narrow it down to what files are causing the huge drop.

The terminal bgl is ESGG_BLD.bgl, you could try removing that from the folder and see if you get good fps then with DL.

You should of course get better frames as that bgl covers a lot of the airport, but if it would be a huge increase that cant be explained by just the lack of objects, maybe we can troubleshoot that file in that case. In that case maybe it can be the normal maps for the terminal that causes the issues for you. DL will cause a drop, for sure, but I'm trusting you when you say the drop is not within what seems normal.

I'm sure you have already done it but also a proper uninstall of the scenery and reinstall it is always a good start.

Regards,

Marcus

Hello @Marcus Nyberg I've done a full clean up - set up of ESGG and the frame, even with Dinamic Lights remains good. I've never got these when i've tried ESGG.

I'll do in these days couple of more tests and get back soon. Up today (now) the problem seems completely solved

Meanwhile thanks for your kind support

Stefano

11 hours ago, Ste_88 said:

Hello @Marcus Nyberg I've done a full clean up - set up of ESGG and the frame, even with Dinamic Lights remains good. I've never got these when i've tried ESGG.

I'll do in these days couple of more tests and get back soon. Up today (now) the problem seems completely solved

Meanwhile thanks for your kind support

Stefano

Glad to hear!

Archived