TEGB - EGLL / EGLC Out of Memory error

a340500

Hi Team,

I think I am going mad! Below are the specs for my rig.

i9-9900KS @ 5Ghz - water cooled. On an ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E with G.Skill 16GB F4-3200C14D-16GTZR DDR4 ram. 11GB RTX 2080 TI Asus STRIX OC Graphics card.

W10 x64 installed on Samsung 970 PRO M.2 512GB Nvme

P3Dv4.5 + addons installed on Samsung 970 PRO 1TB Nvme

Purchased and installed all of ORBX scenery on RAID 0 2xSamsung 860 PRO 2TB SSDs via Central v4.

I have a 3TB mechanical drive that holds all of ORBX backup installers.

The Good - 

I am able to successfully fly P3D default aircraft in every region (including TENL) with fairly aggressive settings (most sliders to the right) with REX Skyforce textures set to 2048. The textures in P3Dv4.5 hf2 are also set to 2048 with unlimited fames (not locked to 30 or any other figure).

The Problem- 

When trying to load default P3D aircraft and fly from EGLL with TEGB installed, P3D freezes and throws the error box "Your computer has run out of available memory... try lowering your P3D settings...." 

I then change P3D settings as per JV's P3D settings in this post "TEGB South P3Dv4.4 - settings for smooth performance at 4K" But textures set to 1024. I do not load REX Skyforce and keep weather to minimum.

I am able to load with default a/c on EGLL runway. But as soon as I takeoff (in external view) and turn 180degress towards London city, P3D freezes and throws the error box "Your computer has run out of available memory...

I restart the computer, fire up P3D and then try to load a flight from EGLC using JVs settings and no REX Skyforce. P3D loads the scenario upto 80% and then throws the "run out of memory" error box forcing me to close P3D.

Please help.

Cheers,

M

Also, I'd like to confirm the basics.

ORBX Global, Vector, HD Trees and Buildings and Orbx Libraries are installed in the simulator root folder.

All OpenLC, TE(GB and NL) and Airports (in fact rest of ORBX products) are installed in a library folder separate from the simulator.

I have ensured that Orbx Libs are up to date, and I have verified files of them from within Orbx Central.

Doug, I will verify the RAM and make sure it is installed properly and registering at 16GB and not 8GB.

2 hours ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Hi

I would first be checking the G.Skill 16GB F4-3200C14D-16GTZR DDR4 ram and make sure it is installed properly and actually registering at 16gb and not 8gb.

Doug, I can confirm that 16GB of RAM is functioning and registering correctly.

I am sure that it would.

However, before doing that, try monitoring your memory use.

You can, as I am sure you know, use the Perfomance tab in Task Manager

to give you a good idea of what is going on.

What should happen I believe, is that if you run short of physical RAM, Windows should use

your hard drive for the excess.

This should never run you out of memory but only result in a drop in the performance of your simulator.

Before spending any money, you will need to see exactly what is happening to confirm that the 16 GB is the problem,

or if it is not, what else might be running that is using it up and why the swap file cannot cope.

Setting up the virtual memory as follows seems to have solved the problem but am not sure if this setup is going to cause problems in the furure. Please advise what are the best settings for Virtual Memory vs performance.. Or should I just bite the bullet and upgrade to 32GB?

I am able to fly with REX Skyforce engine running as well.. Which I was unable to do so before this setup.

Also, are there any W10x64 optimisation threads out there for P3D ?

I found this thread by Nick N a bit dated.. with lots of references to W7.

https://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

This link is more up to date but I did not do any of the prepared.cfg updates.

https://www.simforums.com/forums/nvi-w7810-driver-setup-fsx-fsxse-and-p3d-update_topic59954.html

pHEsV8l.jpg

Hello,

logically, you should set the Virtual Memory options to Programs.

I believe that the general rule is that it should be set to match the amount of physical RAM,

in your case, 16GB.

Clearly, using a hard drive instead of a memory module will not be so fast but whether

or not to make your extra RAM virtual or physical is of course up to you.

If I were in the happy position of having a PC as powerful as yours, I would most certainly

add another 16 GB.

I am no expert but I do know that two matched sticks are required for RAM to run at Dual-Channel speed.

Without knowing what configuration you have, the ideal is 2 x matching 16GB sticks

or, as I have, 4 x 8GB sticks, ideally all matching but definitely each pair being matching sticks and

of course plugged into the same channel.

Hi Nick,

All I can say is WOW! 32GB made all the difference. 

Upgraded G.SKILL 14-14-14-34 XMP2 RAM from

[2X8GB] sticks - F4-3200C14D-16GTZR RAM

to

[2X16G] sticks - F4-3200C14D-32GTRS TZ Royal 32G Kit

Here's a screenie with most display and world sliders to the right with lost of headroom left !! Like I said, WOW!!

zkeFNXk.jpg

Archived