ESSA flat mesh after landing

Peter w

Hello everybody,

I have recently in my FSX the strange behavior that whenever I land in Arlanda after a flight, for example, from Visby, the airport is like 'flat rolled'. Textures, objects etc are displayed correctly, it's just like the mesh is missing. For example,  the taxiway bridges in the infield, which simply run over a flat surface, so there is no difference in height to the terrain around the bridges. Or, for example, the spotter hill, which is simply flat. If I start a flight from ESSA everything is fine, only after landing that occurs. Looking forward for help, regards Peter

Hi Peter!

I'm sorry, this problem has been around for years and we've succeded in limiting it somehow but it still appears for some users. We don't know what causes it, it might be the complex mesh adjustments that somehow causes FSX to not to load it in some cases.

This has been bugging me for a long time, if we get to find a solution I will for sure implement it the second I hear about it, for the moment I'm sorry to say that this seems to be the way it is, especially on the older platforms.

Sorry for not bringing better news,

Cheers,

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

thank you for the information. It's strange, I've never had this problem in Essa before. I know the problem well from Taxi2Gate LFPG, where everything is 'flat' every time after landing, but as I said, this is new to me in Essa. Is it possible that FsGlobal 2018 is causing this? Until recently, I only had FreeMesh in use.

Regards Peter

44 minutes ago, Peter w said:

Hi Marcus,

thank you for the information. It's strange, I've never had this problem in Essa before. I know the problem well from Taxi2Gate LFPG, where everything is 'flat' every time after landing, but as I said, this is new to me in Essa. Is it possible that FsGlobal 2018 is causing this? Until recently, I only had FreeMesh in use.

Regards Peter

If the mesh is high-definition enough that could perhaps cause an issue. The combination of "flattens", as they are called, and high resolution mesh can create some other issues like floating autogen houses etc, so it's not impossible that could actually be part of the problem.

If you would ever switch mesh again and it gets solved please let us know!

3 hours ago, Peter w said:

Is it possible that FsGlobal 2018 is causing this?

Hello Peter,

if you have registered your FsGlobal 2018 with Pilots, they have a small program called AFM for flattening aerodrome mesh, that you can download free from their site.

Hi, thank you,

yes I have installed Afm. And I already tried to install the tool for ESSA. The problem with flat ground after landing occurs nevertheless. And there is a second problem when using the afm tool for ESSA. It does not work correctly and causing an edge north and south of the airport, visible on final for 01R and 19L. Regards, Peter 

17 hours ago, Marcus Nyberg said:

If the mesh is high-definition enough that could perhaps cause an issue. The combination of "flattens", as they are called, and high resolution mesh can create some other issues like floating autogen houses etc, so it's not impossible that could actually be part of the problem.

If you would ever switch mesh again and it gets solved please let us know!

Hi Marcus, it reinforces my assumption, that FsGlobal is causing the 'flat mesh Problem'. I deleted the bgl file for the Arlanda region from Fsglobal folder, and did a flight from Gardermoen to Arlanda, and indeed the airport mesh worked perfectly, all bridges and spotter hill were shown correctly!

I remembered a second possibility still. Could also be, that the departure airport has an influence on it. Because the last two times the flat mesh occured, i landed from Orbx Visby. But i'm not sure.

Regards Peter

Great Peter, thanks for the testing!

The area around ESSA is (terrain-wise) not that spectacular so I hope disabling that file is not causing any other issues for you?

If you could keep the bgl file removed for the Arlanda region and let us know if the problem comes back or seems solved, that would be very helpful.

I can in that case try to make a custom mesh for the area that might override the FsGlobal one, otherwise the only solution is probably to delete that file as you did.

Anyway, if this is the problem then a multi-year issue might finally come to a solution (or end at least) :)

So far there seems to be no further problems caused by the deleted file. I have not seen any ugly terrain crossings yet. And yes, you are right Marcus, the Arlanda area is not very spectacular, such as Bergen or Innsbruck. I think in this case for me it is more important that Essa itself is working correctly, so no flat bridges, no edges or airport plateau, as the terrain 10 or 20 miles away. For those who want to test it themselves, the corresponding file in FsGlobal 2018 Europe is DX052010.bgl

Regards Peter

Archived