AMD Ryzen 9 3900X or the Intel Core i9-9900K for VR

andrew22222

Hi.

I’d like to make a new build within the next 2 months which will be dedicated to VR in general, VR in X-Plane 11 and probably the upcoming MSF 2020 just to give it a spin ;-)

Even after reading many reviews / comparisons I’m very undecided about whether to choose AMD Ryzen 9 3900X or the Intel Core i9-9900K as the processer.

I already have the following

• RTX 2060
  • Power supply
  • Noctua NH-D15 cooler

and need to get

• Mobo (depends on which CPU chosen)
  • 2 X Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz Memory to make it 64GB
  • 1 X Samsung 860 QVO 2TB 2.5" SATA III (for windows 10 and other software)
  • Seagate ST6000DM004 6TB BarraCuda PRO (for all XP11 scenery)

Could anyone please offer any advice on the AMD Ryzen 9 3900X or the Intel Core i9-9900K as my brain appears to be truly frizzled at this point and it's all that's slowing down the build.

Thanks for your time,

Andrew

Hi

With the AMD platform there will be a very good upgrade path and it is based on a new 7nm CPU architecture that is making amazing performance gains, the 3950X will be released on the 25th, and then the 4000 series will be very soon and looks like even larger performance gains.

With the Intel platform, there is no upgrade path an it is still based on the ancient 14nm CPU architecture.

Appreciate the reply Doug.

In did see your notes about this in the previous post  'pc hardware upgrade?' which then got me reading up even more.

To go that route then I just found these on the well known Aussie online store.

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core Socket AM4 3.8GHz CPU Processor + Wraith Prism Cooler

ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming AM4 ATX Motherboard

Perhaps a good combination and I could get the rest of my things from the same store also?

I guess I already have the Noctua NH-D15 Cooler to use if it's any better than the Wraith Prism Cooler

Thanks,

Andrew

17 hours ago, andrew22222 said:

I guess I already have the Noctua NH-D15 Cooler to use if it's any better than the Wraith Prism Cooler

Like night and day. Why would you use the stock Prism when the Noctua is one of, if not the, best air coolers on the market.
Sold my Prism cooler in combination with my old CPU when I upgraded to my 3700X.

It's difficult to recommend any component upgrades without seeing your current PC specs first. Could you list them please?

One thing: Do you really need 64 GB of RAM?
32 GB is usually plenty at the moment.

Thanks for post.

Yes I already use the older Noctua NH-D14 on my current build and have been happy with it despite it's crazy size. I purchased the NH-D15 a few months ago when I had some spare cash so it's sat in the box waiting patiently.

Also have the following in a box that I purchased.

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 Gaming 6G OC Pro

Corsair RM850 PSU 

Need to get

• CPU
  • Mobo (depends on which CPU chosen)
  • 2 X Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz Memory to make it 64GB
  • 1 X Samsung 860 QVO 2TB 2.5" SATA III (for windows 10 and other software)
  • Seagate ST6000DM004 6TB BarraCuda PRO (for all XP11 scenery)

The idea of the 64gb is so that I have them all the same and don't have to worry about trying to match in the future or the damn things are discontinued like my last set. I don't mind if 32gb is sat there doing nothing as it eventually will.

Cheers.

Just be aware that especially for VR, the processor is not that important anymore (and nobody can tell you what will be for MS2020). Instead of aiming for the top-notch processors, I would rather go one step or two step lower (Ryzen 3600X or 9700K) and instead invest into GPU power. This RTX-2060 is a very decent card but I doubt that it has the performance for VR, neither in P3D and for sure not in MS2020.

Just check some benchmarks, with such high resolutions you will need for VR, it is basically irrelevant what CPU you combine with, you will run into a GPU limited scenario 99% of the time.

Archived