Oh noooo! My video card!

Guest Dontay

Guest Northwest Pilot

For some strange reason my NVIDIA 9800GTX+ 1Gig died on me today.  :-\ I've had it for only about a year. So, my question to you guys is which card would you recomend I get? My current specs are : Gigabyte EP-45UD3P, Intel E8500 @ 3.1Ghz ( OC to 3.87), 4Gb RAM, Win XP.

I was thinking about the Sapphire Radeon HD5670 512M.  or the XFX GeForce GTS 250 512

I heard that 1 gig onboard mem does not really help in FSX...

Any thoughts?

GTX275 or GTX285

Dont bother with the GTS250 thing..

I haven't used an ATI since the almighty 9800pro so cant comment on that

I heard that 1 gig onboard mem does not really help in FSX...

I would disagree with that, it sure does help...it just needs to be 'good' memory..ala the GTX275/285

I use the GTX 275 896mb.  Get a card with at least 1Gb. Shouldve gotten the GTX 285 1Gb.  Dont cheap out.  I havent tried a ATI card would like to try the 5870-5890 because you can use multiple sceens, cant do that on nVidea. 8)

GTX 275 and 285 should be dropping now that the 300 series is all but released, so my computer store tells me.  If you principally fly countryside and don't care about a couple of frames less in built-up areas, the GTX 260+ or OC version is a good budget althernative.  Benchmarks showed it was only 3-4 fps less out of 50+ fps in WoW and other gamers games, that would nominally translate to 1-2 fps at 22fps in FSX.

But of course for the extra few dollars go the GTX 275 or 285.  But... brnad does matter, ASUS and Leadtek tend to outperform Inno3d, Gainward and the like.

Archived