BUG REPORT - Ben Nevis mesh issue

17 hours ago, vfr_steve said:

I'm a little confused how something like Ben Nevis can be overlooked by your beta testing team, I mean it's the one area most will go when they install the product. Its the largest mountain in the UK. You need better beta testers ;)

We of the beta testing team are not au fait with the finer points of Scottish topography.  Even if I had seen the mesh issue in testing (which I wasn't privy to, my areas were further west), I wouldn't have known that Ben Nevis doesn't have that projecting slab of rock.  Ditto for the tester who was responsible for the area, who probably lives in California or somewhere equally far away. 

6 hours ago, John Dow said:

We of the beta testing team are not au fait with the finer points of Scottish topography.  Even if I had seen the mesh issue in testing (which I wasn't privy to, my areas were further west), I wouldn't have known that Ben Nevis doesn't have that projecting slab of rock.  Ditto for the tester who was responsible for the area, who probably lives in California or somewhere equally far away. 

Well then there is the major flaw, it would be better to use beta testers who actually have some knowledge of the area they're flying over. Having said that, I'm pretty sure everyone is aware of Ben Nevis 

10 hours ago, vfr_steve said:

Well then there is the major flaw, it would be better to use beta testers who actually have some knowledge of the area they're flying over. Having said that, I'm pretty sure everyone is aware of Ben Nevis 

Not a practical suggestion unfortunately, if you think about the vastness of the world and the limited number of beta testers that an organisation such as Orbx can reasonably be expected to have on board.

I just happened to fly over ben NEvis and it looks to me like the mountain might have the misfortune of sitting slap bang in one of the tile boundaries, causing a mesh issue.  you can see the line extending down each side of the mountain.

As far as I know mesh issues in X Plane 11 are difficult to overcome in some circumstances, so a fix for this might not be easy.  But hopefully the dev will be able to come up with something.

Archived