I am outta here...

Ok, This is probably as good an opportunity as any for objective test comparisons between the Yorkfield and Bloomfield quads as it relates specifically to FSX and FTX. What foolproof way is there for me to replicate exactly the same scenery the same way? Any ideas?

Should I just jump in a plane and shoot a screeny out the window somewhere with what I have now, post it somewhere on here, and then try to reproduce it on the new computer? Can anyone think of a better way? Of course, settings and times would have to be exact.

What about just loading an aircraft into particular airports and turning a specific exact direction toward the terminals and recording the numbers as it sits there, without touching anything? That is the only way I can think of to get as close as possible to apples for apples.

Since I will be ghosting hardrives instead of a fesh install, the FSX modifications should be exact I would think.

If so, which airports?

Stephen

I would create a flight plan with a few checkpoints and have autopilot fly that route.  Use Fraps to find out the average FPS for the whole route.

Just use a pre-determined zoom settting in a straight ahead VC view and compare the averages.

Best idea imo would be couple days before new rig to format hard drive, install fsx and FTX only (maybe rex too...) then save couple flights and fly out of the airports... (like one at KSEA, one at darrington muni airport and somewhere else, maybe vancouver testing the fps. take pic/ fraps benchmark of desired duration and then with new rig do same steps.

Sounds like a working plan to me.

The i7 route is the way to go.  The fastest CPUs on the market, but buy the fastest you can afford.  It's better to have a fast native speed than overclock a cheaper one, and carry the risks that go with it.

I haven't quite tamed the microstutters, but I do find keeping autogen at Dense or Normal seems the way to go.  So far most of the other tweaks are only so-so when it comes to improvement.

On top of that you will have a clean OS and FSX install, which of course frees the whole system.

You'll love it, and it will make the snow and ice of New Brunswick tolerable.

To compare with screenshots from my new computer,

Here are four screenshots taken today by my existing machine. Tomorrow my new i7 930 should be here and the work to get it up and running will commence.

The plan is (at this point) to ghost everything over to the new hard drive without an OS or fresh FSX install. I have nearly 200g of FSX and addons so there is no way I want to start over. However, who knows whether that will work out as well as planned.

I will take the exact same screenshots with the new machine to be able to compare the existing performance with the new. Just so that the image host files are not lost somehow they are posted here:

#1 End of runway at Tamworth, looking left:

Posted Image

#2 End of runway at Sydney looking ahead:

[img width=951 height=700]http://www.fsfiles.org/imagehost/uploads/1268873594.jpg

#3 End of runway at Melbourne looking left

[img width=953 height=700]http://www.fsfiles.org/imagehost/uploads/1268789116.jpg

#4 End of Runway at Jandakot looking left

[img width=952 height=700]http://www.fsfiles.org/imagehost/uploads/1268883238.jpg

Stephen

Stephen:  I know you won't regret it, but that's really good performance on your existing system.

Nothing to do with FSX, but I brutalised, ruptured, crashed and otherwise ruined my system.  So the techies have put it back together again,  However they believe the OS and the game should be on the same VRaptor disc, the idea of having them seperate is a hangover from old hardware, and the overclock should be through the ASUS motherboard software and not the bias. There is also a way of setting up absolute FSX priority on the four cores through the Task Manager they tell me.  Better than through an instruction in the config file.

I'll keep you posted if it is true or not.

signed;  40% proof spirit flyer, single malt.

I dunno how well transfering fsx from old comp to new will work out. If you install same harddrive(s) sure, but if you're going to just transfer to all new computer, then its going to be tough. Need the registry edits for all addon softwares to know where the files are, and straight transfer cant be good for performance (at least fsx performance). I highly suggest you install new os and fsx, and if you have some freeware airports, airplanes etc. just copy your addon scenery and airplanes folder to new one. Just alot easier to just install freshly and install the addons as you need them. That way you don't need to have long loading times all the time, since you don't have so many addons.

so, my advice; save the flights, take screenshot, copy the .flt saves to a usb memorystick, then paste them back to new fsx install and then just load them. take pictures and then compare to previous test.

Also you can copy ur fsx.cfg and take the tweaked edits from it, but NOT just copy+paste over the fresh one. That way the old hardware specifications may inflict something. Here again my best advice with my own experience after long time tweaking is just have a fresh fsx.cfg, add jobscheduler tweak to it and then just fly! (also Texture_max_load i have changed to 4096)

edit: And also don't forget to enjoy your new computer, i still need 250$ to have enough money to upgrade mine to 930. (being 15 yrs old you cant work cuz of school, only in summertime... so i think that will be my estimated time of acquiring enough money to upgrade...)

Nothing to do with FSX, but I brutalised, ruptured, crashed and otherwise ruined my system.  So the techies have put it back together again,  However they believe the OS and the game should be on the same VRaptor disc, the idea of having them seperate is a hangover from old hardware, and the overclock should be through the ASUS motherboard software and not the bias. There is also a way of setting up absolute FSX priority on the four cores through the Task Manager they tell me.  Better than through an instruction in the config file.

They may have told you that the overclock should go through the Asus software because of your first sentence  :)

I don't know any professional or builder that would do it through software rather than the BIOS.  I have not seen that software particularly, but they usually give you much less control than the BIOS, but it also means you can get yourself in much less trouble.  They may have been talking about the Affinity selection under processes in task manager, but FSX is goofy with that.

Back on topic, looking forward to your post replacement results Spirit Flyer.  I , also, would be wary about ghosting over to a new HD though.  You'll find yourself suspecting that as the culprit if anything peforms not as you might expect and you'll end up doing a clean install anyway.  Admittedly, that's my own experience talking there  ;D

There is also a way of setting up absolute FSX priority on the four cores through the Task Manager they tell me.  Better than through an instruction in the config file.

There's a program called Prio that can do that, it's free just google it.

I can't seem to get it to work with the java framerate limiter tho'

Hey,

I am here on the other side and into my new computer digs! I chickened out and kept my same hardrive and just installed the new one as a backup. The chip runs well stock speed, but I will now begin the overclock. I took a quick unclocked (2.80 mgz flight and although the FPS were lower than my overclocked Q9550, it seemed definitely smoother. Well, time to get into the bios!

Stephen

PS: The Prolima Megahalems Rev.B is a real beautiful work of art, and the tempertures do not exceed 52c under full load test, idles at 30-32c. Incredible.

Findings

Both machines have the same hard drive install and settings, time of day and exact place and aircraft, so the comparison is apples for apples.

Comparison Screenshots

1 (a) Jandakot -Q9550 @ 3.65ghz, 4g DDR2-1066 Ram, Win7-64, P5K MB, GTX275-1792,  Nhancer  24.3 FPS

Posted Image

1 (B) JandaKot - i7-930 @ 4.2ghz, 6g DDR3-1600 Ram, Win7-64, P6TD MB, GTX275-1792, Nhancer 45.2 FPS    86% increase

[img width=950 height=700]http://www.fsfiles.org/imagehost/uploads/1268997067.jpg

2 (a) Sydney - Q9550 @ 3.65ghz, 4g DDR2-Ram, Win7-64,  P5K MB, GTX275-1792, Nhancer 17.3 FPS

[img width=951 height=700]http://www.fsfiles.org/imagehost/uploads/1268873594.jpg

2 (B) Sydney - i7-930 @ 4.2ghz, 6g DDR3-1600 Ram, Win7-64, P6TD MB, GTX275-1792,  Nhancer 26.4 FPS  52% increase

[img width=952 height=700]http://www.fsfiles.org/imagehost/uploads/1269000908.jpg

3 (a) Tamworth - Q9550 @ 3.65ghz, 4g DDR2-Ram, Win7-64,  P5K MB, GTX275-1792, Nhancer 23.0 FPS

[img width=954 height=700]http://www.fsfiles.org/imagehost/uploads/1268813106.jpg

3 (B) Tamworth - i7-930 @ 4.2ghz, 6g DDR3-1600 Ram, Win7-64, P6TD MB, GTX275-1792, Nhancer 40.6 FPS  76% increase

[img width=954 height=700]http://www.fsfiles.org/imagehost/uploads/1269077283.jpg

4 (a) Melbourne - Q9550 @ 3.65ghz, 4g DDR2-Ram, Win7-64,  P5K MB, GTX275-1792, Nhancer 9.6 FPS

[img width=953 height=700]http://www.fsfiles.org/imagehost/uploads/1268789116.jpg

4 (B) Melbourne - i7-930 @ 4.2ghz, 6g DDR3-1600 Ram, Win7-64, P6TD MB, GTX275-1792,  Nhancer 17.7 FPS  84% increase

[img width=956 height=700]http://www.fsfiles.org/imagehost/uploads/1269002032.jpg

Average 74.5% increase in FTX  FPS from Q9550 @3.65 and i7@4.2

Stephen

now that sounds good, makes me thinking about a PC update for myself, thank you for the comparison

I would like to know how you moved your complete FSX installation with all addons to the new OS without reinstalling

or did you just throw in the new hardware and let Windows do the rest ?

Spirit Flyer,  you win the "Best Post of the Year" award from the Royal Order of Flying Beavers. My goodness, that is dog gone impressive! That is the best comparison and review I have ever seen, the visual comparison is excellent.  I am selling my Q9550 and getting a i7 930 unit like yours. just ordered an Asus MB after reading your post. Thank you for posting this. 

now that sounds good, makes me thinking about a PC update for myself, thank you for the comparison

I would like to know how you moved your complete FSX installation with all addons to the new OS without reinstalling

or did you just throw in the new hardware and let Windows do the rest ?

H Gilbert,

I just took the older hardrive and installed it as C drive, and put the new one as a backup. Other than having to call Microsoft about FSX Acceleration to get fresh codes, it was seamless. I was going to ghost it over, but I chickened out.

Stephen

Spirit Flyer,  you win the "Best Post of the Year" award from the Royal Order of Flying Beavers. My goodness, that is dog gone impressive! I am selling my Q9550 and getting a i7 930 unit like yours. Thank you for posting this.

You won't regret it - fast and smooth. The cooler is a piece of beautiful abstract high tech art. Under 100 load, it keeps tempertures under 70c.

Stephen

Stephen:  I know you won't regret it, but that's really good performance on your existing system.

Thanks for the suggestions Ian. I ended up using settings provided for me that I adapted from those for a i7-920.

Stephen

Nice! Really nice! Thanks for making this more painful, now the wait for new computer is even harder :P Can't wait to upgrade to i7, your benchmark is absolutely magnificent, maybe more so becouse old and new system is allmost the same as i am planning to get.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have just ordered a Gigabyte HD5870 (The one with the fancy fans) which should be here this week. I perserved an exact copy of FSX on a separate drive when I build this machine so when it comes in I will fire that version up and retake the same pictures to document the variation.

That should show the difference between team green and team red since everything else will (or should be) exact. I have however since then increased the CPU speed from 4.2 to 4.34 so there will have to be an adjustment made in the results somehow, but I don't know what. Thanks to Dan (Drumsonly 2002) from Nova Scotia who suggested doing this.

Stephen

Hi,

I have just ordered a Gigabyte HD5870 (The one with the fancy fans) which should be here this week. I perserved an exact copy of FSX on a separate drive when I build this machine so when it comes in I will fire that version up and retake the same pictures to document the variation.

That should show the difference between team green and team red since everything else will (or should be) exact. I have however since then increased the CPU speed from 4.2 to 4.34 so there will have to be an adjustment made in the results somehow, but I don't know what. Thanks to Dan (Drumsonly 2002) from Nova Scotia who suggested doing this.

Stephen

Excellent! looking forward to see these results!

Just got a new rig myself and am wondering what virus software to put on it?  Have McAfee at the moment but want to jettison that.  What works well with FSX and has the ability to be paused so it doesn't do its thing while I am running FSX?

Stiletto2

Archived