TE Vancouver City

paulk

At the beginning of the year Orbx announced TE Scenery for PNW etc. At the time British Columbia Canada was to be included prior to finding out that the Canadian Government wanted too high a price for the ortho’s.

OK where am I going with this you may ask. Also announced was Cities-development for these TE areas. The Canadian ones mentioned were Victoria (which is included with TE Washington and looks great) plus Nanaimo and Vancouver. I just wondered how far the development had come along with Nanaimo and Vancouver and if they could be offered as a stand alone add-on for a fee for X Plane 11 and p3d. The late Jon Patch did a great Vancouver FSX addon which I have managed to get working with p3d and Orbx PNW along with Dreamteam Vancouver airport. However, Jon’s Vancouver City is a little FPS heavy and is sadly showing its age a bit.

Its just a thought and any comments welcome. 

The biggest issue in X-Plane is that it's not easy just to provide a small area as a mesh/ortho because X-Plane enforces a 1x1 degree tile system. You basically have to distribute mesh scenery as a 1x1 degree tile, or not do it at all. Victoria was included because it was in the same tile as Port Angeles.

For us to make a Vancouver TE, we'd either have to just stick to the city centre and not modify the mesh, or do the entire 1x1 tile which would cost a huge amount of money to get aerial imagery. So it's just a question of what people would be will to accept (i.e. A cityscape, or a very expensive mini-region :-))

27 minutes ago, paulk said:

I will keep my fingers crossed for an Orbx P3d Version of Vancouver City one day. It is perhaps one of the most beautiful cities I have ever visited with a multi function harbour, with cruise ships, float planes etc.

Only been there once, but fully agree.

Jon's and Holger's Version did it fully justice, however, it is completely out of sync with the real city now, and installation into P3D is a nightmare for the average user. I would pay a fortune of an up-to-date version.

Kind regards, Michael

Yes I am more than happy to pay the going rate for a P3d Vancouver City Scenery. I have managed to get Jon and Holgers version working, don’t ask how I did it, it was two years ago and it wasn’t easy going. Not all of it works no AI Boats or Floatplanes but it’s ok.

Fingers crossed someone from the development team thinks it’s a good idea or perhaps already started making a Vancouver and Nanaimo when they were planning a TE British Columbia Canada version.  

PS Larry’s freeware version of Nanaimo is a must it’s very good.

• 6 months later...
On 9/2/2019 at 3:56 PM, paulk said:

The late Jon Patch did a great Vancouver FSX addon which I have managed to get working with p3d and Orbx PNW along with Dreamteam Vancouver airport. However, Jon’s Vancouver City is a little FPS heavy and is sadly showing its age a bit.

I would love to see Jon's Vancouver+ legacy be honoured in either TE Vancouver, or even within the PNW scenery. It's definitely FPS heavy, but I've purposely built a power PC to enjoy this add-on to the fullest.

I'm running P3Dv4.5 and would be more than happy to throw more money on supporting a Vancouver update!

On 9/4/2019 at 1:05 PM, paulk said:

PS Larry’s freeware version of Nanaimo is a must it’s very good.

Also very happy to run this add-on in P3D. Keep up the good work!

Archived