ESSA Arlanda - No Approach frequency

Gents, this is very late in the day given how long the airport has been available for but wanted to post my news anyway.

I use P3D v4.5 and also use Radar Contact v4.3 for ATC. That program requires any airport that you are flying to using IFR rules to have either an Approach or Director frequency. Given the size of Arlanda this should be a given.

However, on my first flight there Radar Contact terminated the service at 40nm from ESSA. This is the point where you are handed over to Approach. Hmmm, not very good I thought. Let's find out why that happened. I used ADE to open the AFCAD - ESSA_ADEP4_SL_ORBX_P3D_NoStatics.BGL - and found there was no Approach or Director frequency. That explains why RC4 terminated.

But on checking for frequencies at ESSA using Sky Vector there is an Approach frequency so I edited the AFCAD and added one. Compiled the BGL and replaced the original with mine.

Today I flew into ESSA from ENGM and bingo! At 40nm out I was instructed to contact Approach. Problem solved. I'm just curious why there was no Approach frequency. Just an oversight perhaps?

Hi,

Such a good timing Nick, just got back actually :)

Honestly, this is the first time this is brought up to our attention and is clearly an oversight from our end.

I will have the ADE-dev have a look at it and we will address that with a patch at a later stage.

Thank you for letting us know,

Cheers,

Marcus

Hi Nick and Marcus. Thanks for your replies. I suspect only users of Radar Contact will experience the problem and not then realise what is causing it. It was a useful learning experience for me as it’s the first time I’ve had to fix that type of problem.

Archived