Why no Tortola, BVI??

Mac6737

I asked a similar Q last year, with no reply, so here goes again:

The British Virgin Island of Tortola is not rendered in the default FSX or P3D scenery, not even when Orbx NA land class is installed; it has always shown up as a flat green expanse, even though its airport (Beef Island) is there, where it should be.

I don't get it.  What's different about Tortola?  It is a large island, and its Sage Mountain is the highest point in all the Virgins (US and Brit), with a rain forest at the top.  (Plus, I used to own a home there.)  There is a freeware scenery download, but it consists of 3 or 4 ginormous files. 

I don't expect a fix.  I am just perplexed as to why this one island, out of hundreds in the Caribbean, seems to be the only one without textures in FSX, P3D and Orbx.

Mac6737      

3 hours ago, Mac6737 said:

The British Virgin Island of Tortola is not rendered in the default FSX or P3D scenery, not even when Orbx NA land class is installed; it has always shown up as a flat green expanse, even though its airport (Beef Island) is there, where it should be.

Mac6737,

I have Orbx's Global Base, Vector, and openLC NA.

I also have FreeMeshX (a freeware terrain mesh).

This is what I am seeing taking off from TUPJ and flying past Tortola.

2019-7-16_15-25-58-900.thumb.jpg.8029c9250a5d1355b3e6692c7135187b.jpg

2019-7-16_15-28-17-560.thumb.jpg.1e9501717655f054d6b7f09a48c95ba4.jpg

2019-7-16_15-28-34-261.thumb.jpg.150d067edb25a155dd8ffe310d2ea97d.jpg

Remember that Orbx's openLC is just land class and NOT terrain mesh. 

If you are using the default mesh, and it happens to be flat, land class will not add hills.

However, land class should be telling the sim where to place trees, fields, grass, towns. 

So you should see those things in the correct locations (even if the mesh is flat).

Edit: This is P3Dv4.

I’ve been requesting Orbx to do a Caribbean region for years for several reasons, including this one.  

I used to have a great freeware airport for Beef Island in FSX.  I also had some freeware for mesh.  There were some FS9 freeware airports as well, but now with P3D, I’m only using Orbx stuff...at least when they used to make P3D stuff...seems like everything is x-plane now, at least from the consumer’s perspective.

Matt and Caleb,

Oh, be still, my heart! 

How do I get FreeMeshX?  I have other meshes, like Holgermesh for Australia, and I think something for South America.  Is FreeMeshX global in scope?  If so, does it conflict with other meshes?

Thanks for your wisdom,

Mac 6737

PS -- Of course, my academic question remains:  Why the heck is Tortola different?

41 minutes ago, Mac6737 said:

How do I get FreeMeshX?  I have other meshes, like Holgermesh for Australia, and I think something for South America.  Is FreeMeshX global in scope?  If so, does it conflict with other meshes?

Mac6737,

Just Google "FreeMesh X" and the first result will get you there (Nine Two Productions).

The web site has all the info and links to download it.

Yes it is global in scope.  The original does not include the USA, because the default USA mesh isn't that bad.  They also have a beta for the US.  Their website explains it all.

As far as I know it won't conflict with other mesh, because FSX and P3D both just use the best resolution mesh that is installed for the area that it is loading.

Say you have multiple mesh products,  FreeMeshX which has LOD10 (38-m) coverage of Europe and Orbx's EU Germany South, which includes LOD11 (20m) mesh.

FSX / P3D will automatically use the best resolution mesh for where you are flying.  It would use FreeMeshX's LOD10 until you crossed into southern Germany and then it would use the LOD11 mesh.  If you also had some LOD12 Switzerland mesh, the sim would then switch over to it if you entered Switzerland.

As for Tortola, this is what I see with FreeMeshX disabled.  It appears that the default mesh is just really poor at that location. 

Note that openLC NA is still telling the sim where to put vegetation and buildings, so you should not just be seeing a "flat green expanse".

2019-7-16_19-31-54-214.thumb.jpg.fc2484592db2ac1ecdcfa0a8bb2a7389.jpg

2019-7-16_19-32-52-578.thumb.jpg.de45ee26d422030842024dceee6b7f20.jpg

3 hours ago, aujeffk said:

I’ve been requesting Orbx to do a Caribbean region for years for several reasons, including this one.  

Same here.  Like for Hawaii,  OLC NA helps quite a bit wit a good mesh but a fat region is what is needed, ortho or LC. We've been flying the West coast of the US or Australia or Great Britain for so many years. Slightly disappointed as a consumer to see ObrX main thrust  is to revisit  its past glories instead of mapping new territories like the Caribbean. 

Matt:

My Tortola looks like yours, with the mesh disabled.  Maybe I shouldn't have said "flat green expanse," although it is flat, mostly green and is surely an "expanse."  But it is terrible compared to St. John next door, which shows the mountains. 

Follow-up Q: Your better Tortola shots were with FreeMeshX.  I spent some time on the Nine Two site, and see that they recommend downloading by region.  Since the Caribbean is covered by Orbx NA land class, and since you say the US is not covered by FreeMesh X Global, what region did you install to get your improved Tortola, etc.?

Thanks again

Mac6737  

Hello,

it looks like the island is right at the edge of the FSX/P3D USA mesh area,

which would explain the ridge and then flat area and indeed answer the original question

What's different about Tortola?

1.jpg

Freemesh X South and Central America does this:

2.jpg

You are right, Nick. I saw the same views as you posted before and after installing the FreeMeshX. Nice product and free, too. 

. So far I have only installed the South and Central America section which includes the Caribbean Islands. I just did a short flight from TUPJ, Terrance B. Lettsome on Tortuga to TIST, King. What a difference the mesh has made to my scenery. Just beautiful.

Here are some screen shots.

Howard

2019-7-26_12-20-7-373.jpg

2019-7-26_12-20-24-80.jpg

2019-7-26_12-28-14-815.jpg

2019-7-26_12-30-24-505.jpg

2019-7-26_12-31-12-657.jpg

2019-7-26_12-32-26-94.jpg

2019-7-26_12-34-48-250.jpg

Archived