Lost wave effect...

Hi all, I know that some people do not like the coastal wave effect, but I do and now somehow in the last weeks, I obviously lost the effect. As I am not that much on my simming rig for flying those days, I did not notice it instantly and as such, I have no clue what I did wrong.

But, I remember that I once tried the "new" waves from ORBX:

Now, my question: are those beta waves working in P3Dv4.5 at all? If not, this would explain the issue. However, in above linked thread, it is written that each update of the ORBX Libraries would restore the default waves. As I did update the libraries several times after trying those beta waves and still no coastal waves are visible, I wonder what I am doing wrong (again)... Any ideas how to get the waves back?

Regards

Chris

The wave effects work in P3Dv4.5  You will not see them when custom scenery has redrawn the shore line.  This shot of Key West demonstrates that.  The small islands of default scenery show wave action.

h9yl6gn.jpg

fWRwJV1.jpg

Hello,

To add to what Dex has said,  it looks like the screen above illustrates a default effect. (The default effects have a rather odd twinkling character.)  Not all coastlines or shorelines have wave effects so the first thing to do is check areas where they are known to be.  The new AU v2 is not a good place to look for example. Holger would be the one to give the definitive answer,  but I think for AU v2 all of the wave effects associated with shoreline vectors had to be removed for technical reasons. However Holger may have tediously hand drawn some areas of surf effect.  If you have Orbx PNW, check the coastline just north of Grays Harbor. 

Wave effects are odd: if you start a flight over a shoreline, the wave effects typically do not display in the immediate area. (They often appear in time as you follow the shoreline.)  The best bet to  make sure they appear is to approach a shoreline from an area several miles away where they do not occur. That should work 100% of the time.

The Open beta wave effect works fine in P3D v4.5 but it replaces only one type of Orbx wave, the one used along the Strait of Georgia for example.  I might mention that I've continued to work on the different wave effects and now have a way to optionally replace all wave effects everywhere including the default ones without modifying any default files. (P3D v4 only.) The plan would be that the user can easily  toggle new effects or stick with the current effects.  How and when this may be distributed is unknown at the moment.

• 3 months later...

Hello,

Just a suggestion : may be it is time to review the waves effects.

Due to the  Add-Ons.xml  approach introduced by Central, they are now duplicated on a lot regions.

It would be great to move these widely used files to the library folder, so that every region would benefit automatically to enhaccement or fixes (the Ground Decal for P3DV4 for example).

Gérard

Stay tuned. There may be some developments on the wave effects front but I don't know how or when they may be implemented. At the users discretion, new effects would replace the current ones, meaning the current effects will still be an option. For P3D v4 a small xml add-on may be used. My guess is that *if one chooses the xml add-on installation* for new scenery products the current effects will be handled as they are now but this is something that would be decided by the Orbx Central programming team. 

The problem of vertical waves after installing one or two specific products is just a matter of fixing the installer(s).  I don't know if that's been done yet.  In any case, that issue would be solved by the new wave effects.

Thanks for mentioning the Flight Sim Jewels wave effect replacement.  Looks like it replaces the default ocean wave effect only and does not modify the controller. (Replacing Orbx effects would be a no-no of course.) This default effect is used in some places in Orbx scenery products but many locations use custom Orbx effects. There are 8 different Orbx wave effects all of which would be modified in a reversible way  by the solution I have mentioned.

Archived