KORS, KFHR, S31 freezes

Hello,

I am returning to this area, that I enjoyed so much some months ago (I think I was still under FSX at that time).

But today, I am facing a high number of freeze which is too frustrating.

So far :

1 - I did search the forum concerning these airports and found some with "heavy stutters", others (with very high end configuration) happy, but did not found solutions to my problem....

2 - I have verified with SysInternals Process Explorer that outside of freeze points, the CPU (I5-4690K @ 4.3 GHz) and the GPU (GTX 1080) are not overloaded.

3 - I have very conservative graphic setting (I have tested with even more "modest" settings)...

Spoiler

Display
- FXAA Off
- 8MSAA  (I have tried with lower values with no improvment)
- Anisotropic 8x
- Textyre resolution 1024

- Target Frame rate 20, with Vsync on and Triple Buffering
World
- LOD High
- Tessalation Hign
- Mesh 5m
- Texture 1m (only)

- Scenery Complexity Normal
- Autogen and scenery Draw distance Medium
- Autogen vegetation normal
- Autogen buildong normal
- dynamic 3D vegetation Off
- Water detail High
- Special effect details Medium
- Special effect distance Medium

Lighting
- HDR On
- No dynamic refletions
- Dynamic lighting On

- Shadow quality Medium
- Shadow draw distance Medium

- Casting : Internal vehiculen external vehicule, Simulation Objects, Clouds
- Receiving : Internal vehiculen external vehicule, Simulation Objects

Weather
- Cloud draw distance 80mi
- Cloud coverage density  High
- Detail clouds with Volumetric Fog

I have several print screen showing peaks of CPU and IO at time of freeze, while the GPU usage goes to zero.

The positions of freeze are always the same (several in that area) - I did tens of test this last few days :(

Just one, in case it suggest a "solution"...

1348173091_ORBXPNW3p3D4.4.thumb.jpg.c455f3aa978bfab4f78c374551702933.jpg

I can provide others, with P3D4.4 and P3DV4.5HF if useful, but don't want to overload this topic.

I would be very happy if I can get advice on a P3D setting I would have missed.

Any suggestion welcome - I am really missing this area.

Gérard

Hi Doug,

Thank you for looking at my problem.

I selected the venerable C172 and run with only TrackIr and ChasePlane to get the minimum "competiting" programs.

The directories (on SSD) of the simulator files (including the user's folders) are all excluded from Antivirus.

What surprise me is the VERY low usage of the GPU (GTX 1080) : always lower than 25% and 2/3 Go memory usage....
Is this a "normal" figure : I am always surprised to see comments about the must powerful graphic card improving the simulator experience.

622783987_ORBXPNWGPU.jpg.b8e1bda000bdde9f273a4582576c5250.jpg

I am really out of ideas :(

Gérard

Hi Gérard

Thanks, but I honestly do not know what could be causing the freezes for you, but I also am not using ChasePlane or TrackIR. 

In regards to the GPU usage, there are so many variables and differences between systems and it may not have anything to do with your issue. P3Dv4 apparently is supposed to delegate more workload to the GPU in certain conditions than previous versions of simulators, but it is still a mostly CPU bound program. Also, I think the GPU depends a lot on the ability of the rest of the hardware to feed it data to process. My system for example, while flying around that area shows CPU and GPU usage mostly balanced, but there are also brief moments of CPU or GPU usage spiking higher.

Hi Doug,

Apparently your PC specs are more or less of the same power. But in that area, I get always 2-3s freezes at the same spots (about 6 on the flight plan you can see on the screen shoots).

I was expecting that the scenery developer would look at potential "quirk"...

One can always dream :(

Thanks for showing up

Gérard

Hi Gérard

These unexpected and isolated crashes are notorious; some have never been solved. Frankly, Doug and Nick are your best bet because they deal with so many unusual problems.  If you get lucky, perhaps you might  find a magic answer that someone has stumbled upon.

This won’t help you per se, but during the testing of the last LM hotfix I kept having similar unexplained crashes although not in that area. I spend hours and hours trying everything I could think of to isolate the problem including a clean install but never succeeded. After one update the issue disappeared.  That does not automatically  mean it was a P3D issue; I might have had a problem with my install. Who knows.

Rather than just monitoring total CPU usage, you might want to monitor it for each core. (Click on the  CPU tab in Process Explorer.)  P3D will typically have very high usage of Core 0.  That's normal. In my case above, at some point the usage of Core 0 would go to 100 percent and stay there no matter what. That suggested something was loading at that point but I never figured out what it was.

My only suggestion(s) would be to disable  TrackIR and ChasePlane  and test again first just with PNW active, then adding sceneries one by one.  If that does not work and it’s important to you,  consider a complete clean install where you regenerate all runtime files and first check with only the pertinent Orbx scenery active, nothing else. 

You might also want to do a good search for issues related to ChasePlane. TrackIR too for that matter. 

Cheers

Thanks Larry, for taking the time to give some advices.

I have already taken a detail look at each core and run with as less addons as possible... and reinstalled PNW, Friday Harbour, Orcas...

Seams to have improved (a little) the freezes - placebo effect ?

I was interested by the long related CPU and IO burst.

4CPU.jpg.886d06d230563b7030ba9efc5439ecbf.jpg

And I continue to experiment various compromise on  settings.

I am considering a fresh install in few months, when switching to Win10, ORBX Central 4, Prepar3D V5 and a new PC (for TE Washington...)  ;)
Will try to accomodate freezes until then.

And continue to enjoy your beautiful serie of CAG8, CAE3, CAC8, CAX6...

1630890863_P3D2019-05-1817h38s5418.thumb.jpg.338e350e407c4544ced2fbb9fd393e3b.jpg

Thanks for your encouragements.

Gérard

Archived