Fairoaks

Before 1931, this was 'Dolly's Farm' - used by the RAF during the war - now a busy little general aviation airport.

fair1.jpg

The site of what was a great prewar motor racing track - Brooklands.  A Vickers factory during the war then, postwar, part of the Concord team.  

fair2.jpg

Little airports everywhere.  This one is 'Russett Farm, Chessington'.

fair3.jpg

Base leg for what was RAF Kenley - along with Croydon and Biggin Hill, the designated defense fields for London.  Home to such names as Malan, Bader and Johnson it was heavily damaged and very busy.

fair4.jpg

• 1 year later...

Very interesting.

As 4 engined planes were landed on the short airstrip (for the museum)  as recently in the early 21st century do you think we could suggest that Orbx consider making a novelty airport at Brooklands with Wisley as a bonus when they have some spare time? Which I don't suppose will be anytime soon.

I regularly walk my dog on the runway.

Maybe it would be an interesting challenge for a budding designer.

Taking a VC10 from Brooklands all the way to Wisley (all the way to the other side of the A3) would have buckets of appeal to all pilots that enjoy the interesting bits. Take off and landing.

It could be the airliner communities answer to the short hop from Westray to Papa Westray.

Re the farm strip.

RUSHETT FARM: Private airfield

Operated by: Mr B Woodhall

Location: E of A243, S of B280, 2nm W of Epsom, 4nm NNE of Leatherhead

Period of operation: Early 1970s to -

Runways: 2001: 02/20   350x15   grass

2007: 02/20   450x30   grass

NOTES: A very unusual private strip, just outside the London (Heathrow) CTR. Although today a base for several aircraft plus a aircraft repair/restoration business in 1976/7 it appears that only the Helio H.295 Courier G-BAGT was based here.

http://www.ukairfieldguide.net/airfields/RushettFarm

While I am at it some might be interested to know that the line from Waterloo to Chessington South opened 6 weeks before WW2 began. That was the end of the project. The line was intended to go on to Leatherhead and there would have been a station at Malden Rushett. Some preparatory work got very near to the crossroads at MR. There was for a time a bridge over Chalky Lane.

6 hours ago, Haydon the Womble said:

Very interesting.

As 4 engined planes were landed on the short airstrip (for the museum)  as recently in the early 21st century do you think we could suggest that Orbx consider making a novelty airport at Brooklands with Wisley as a bonus when they have some spare time? Which I don't suppose will be anytime soon.

I regularly walk my dog on the runway.

Maybe it would be an interesting challenge for a budding designer.

Taking a VC10 from Brooklands all the way to Wisley (all the way to the other side of the A3) would have buckets of appeal to all pilots that enjoy the interesting bits. Take off and landing.

It could be the airliner communities answer to the short hop from Westray to Papa Westray.

Re the farm strip.

RUSHETT FARM: Private airfield

Operated by: Mr B Woodhall

Location: E of A243, S of B280, 2nm W of Epsom, 4nm NNE of Leatherhead

Period of operation: Early 1970s to -

Runways: 2001: 02/20   350x15   grass

2007: 02/20   450x30   grass

NOTES: A very unusual private strip, just outside the London (Heathrow) CTR. Although today a base for several aircraft plus a aircraft repair/restoration business in 1976/7 it appears that only the Helio H.295 Courier G-BAGT was based here.

http://www.ukairfieldguide.net/airfields/RushettFarm

While I am at it some might be interested to know that the line from Waterloo to Chessington South opened 6 weeks before WW2 began. That was the end of the project. The line was intended to go on to Leatherhead and there would have been a station at Malden Rushett. Some preparatory work got very near to the crossroads at MR. There was for a time a bridge over Chalky Lane.

Out of the past, Haydon - thanks for the additional info.  Those shots remind me we hadn't quite got the handle on Orbx green yet.

Archived