South American Land class issue

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I can replicate the problem if I disable Orbx Vector.

This problem is nothing to do with open LC South America, but is caused by

adding a more detailed mesh to the flight simulator.

It will be seen whether or not open LC South America is installed.

Evidently, the default water bodies are hopelessly misplaced, in both location and elevation.

Unfortunately, in both FSX and P3D, water bodies inexorably pull the terrain up or down to their level,

as well illustrated in the above screen shots.

There are two choices.

1. Do not use any mesh addon when you fly in South America, not even the Orbx free version.

2. Use a vector product to correct the water levels and placement and then any mesh addon can be used.

Hi Nick

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

When I uninstall the freeware SA Mesh (but leaving OpenLC SA installed) then I do not see the problems shown in chrisd6340's screenshots - as soon as I install the free mesh the problem returns. But unfortunately South America looks pretty bad with the standard P3D terrain mesh!

Grateful for your advise on how I should go about troubleshooting this problem which appears to be Free Mesh SA related?

Thanks

Ads

Hello,

1. The flight simulator's terrain is notoriously inaccurate in South America.

2. The default mesh is very poor also but it does match the atrocious placing of the water bodies.

3. When you add another and better mesh, you change the elevation of the land around the default water bodies.

4. Because of the way that FSX and P3D work, water bodies do not move with the mesh, they stay where they are and pull the land to them.

5. This is why holes are seen and in other places, misplaced hills with water on top of them.

There are only two ways to avoid seeing the anomalies.

They are:

1. Do not use any addon mesh. It is not the fault of the mesh, it is the fault of the default simulator.

2. Use another addon, Orbx Vector being the obvious one here, to correct the water elevations. Then the addon mesh terrain elevations and the water

elevations will be the same and there will be no more holes in the ground.

OK - thanks for the clear answer.

One final question, please:

If I purchase Orbx Vector will that also correct the default airport elevations issues which are also apparent when using the Free Mesh SA?

Thanks

Ads

My answer to that is probably, yes.

Vector includes something called Airport Elevation Corrections, the purpose of which is to mitigate

the problems around airports caused by adding Pilot's mesh products.

However, as good mesh products are all roughly the same, AEC should also work with Freemesh X.

I should add that Vector data for some parts of South America is not very good quality, so you might still

see some minor anomalies.

However, adding Vector to your openLC and mesh products will vastly improve the experience of flying in South America.

Archived