Darker scenery tiles that 'lighten'

Just taken a flight from ORBX PAVD and also using ORBX Southern Alaska.  I noticed that in an area I was seeing these darker tiles of texture which would then 'switch' to standard lighter shade.  I wondered if it was something to do with shadow but this isn't the case.  For example a cloud shadow will be displayed on both lighter and darker tiles at the same shade level.   I also see it on some areas of water.

Also using PTA and Envtex

Would anyone have any ideas?

RLSy8nd.jpg

kBLwznN.jpg

Thanks Karsten.  I am still running V4.4 so can't update to PTA 2.66 yet as it is only for 4.5 apparently

I had that issue on the water when I updated PTA to 2.64 but turned off the Water Surface Tuning tweak and that seemed to fix that particular problem at the time.  I didn't think these two were connected but sounds like there is another issue from what you say.  This looks different and I think the PTA issue was related to coastal waters whereas this is effecting the glacier also.

As you can see from this video the aircraft is surrounded by darker tiles.  Looking to the rear they seem to lighten again as it passes away.  I am not sure if it is connected but yesterday crossing the Irish sea, for a moment I had land tiles popping up under the aircraft in the same was as these dark tiles but only briefly and not seen elsewhere.

Video below gives a better idea of what I am seeing on the water.  Similar effect seen on the glacier.

8 hours ago, KVSandleben said:

Looks like that exact same issue to me.

You could try restoring the original shaders through PTA and see what happens.

Unfortunately that didn’t work.  This is a top down view of what I am seeing   It is a patch of darker tiles following the aircraft.

Ok from what I can see this seems to be an issue only at Valdez.  Flying out to sea from FTX EU England and then also taking a flight round the Nantucket Island scenery I am not seeing this issue.  

Having uninstalled Valdez I am not seeing this issue in that same location.

I will reinstall Valdez and see if that has fixed it.  Have flown here many times before without problems so I am sure it is just 'one of those things' that has crept in during some change of some sort and hopefully the reinstall will set it straight again but if anyone has any ideas what might have caused this I would be interested to hear them.  I always like to think of these things as a learning experience!  :banghead::D

Still none the wiser on this.  I have removed Envtex just in case but issue still there.  I have emptied scenery and shader caches multiple times.  The scenery layering looks right with PAVD up with my other airports and certainly above FTX Southern Alaska.  Baffled, especially as I have run this scenery before without an issue.

Still no luck in solving this, in fact it seems to be getting worse :banghead:

I now have these strange features in the scenery....

An area of water a different colour/opacity around the refinery area that has jagged/sawtooth edges at the end

rdyG28f.jpg

And this strange texture/shading in the water.  No idea if this is all linked but no amount of reinstalling and clearing shaders is doing the trick.

3kcSGlr.jpg

Hello,

you might wish to try this.

1. delete C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Shaders

2. delete (P3D v4)\ShadersHLSL

3. run the P3D client msi installer and select "Repair".

This will replace the ShadersHLSL folder.

4 Run P3D.

8 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

you might wish to try this.

1. delete C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Shaders

2. delete (P3D v4)\ShadersHLSL

3. run the P3D client msi installer and select "Repair".

This will replace the ShadersHLSL folder.

4 Run P3D.

Hi Nick,

Have done the above but unfortunately all the issues above are still present.  Outside of the PAVD scenery things seem to be ok

PD3DtyR.jpg

wGtYeVz.jpg

ljnNsuv.jpg

B6P2RNE.jpg

ms5Zhc3.jpg

Bit of an update.

Just for the hell of it I verified files on PAVD and also Libraries, something which I had tried before restoring the shaders, and that seems to have got rid of those odd texture shapes in the water however I am still left with the creeping tiles of darker shaded water.

3 hours ago, Lawrence Hickerson said:

Have you tried using a setting for Water Detail at "Medium".  Scenery Objects at Extremely Dense except for Autogen and scenery draw distance at High.

Unfortunately this hasn't done the trick.  

I don't see this issue outside of the Valdez scenery.

Wow!  I would really recommend upgrading to 4.5.  I did the short update and had no problems.  Only took minutes. 

I would also recommend that you try some different settings in your "image and texture quality".  I used one of the You Tube, that took a different approach.  I am using two 27" monitors with wide aspect, which really puts a load on my Alienware machine, but the changes made the difference and all my black blocks disappeared. 

This is the only reason I replied because your screen shots reminded of mine before the changes.

Good luck!

It is certainly an odd one because

a:  It ONLY happens at the PAVD scenery.  As soon as I fly out of Port Valdez and down into Prince William Sound and into the ORBX NA Southern Alaska the problem vanishes

b:  Other scenery areas that have specific sea/water texture tiles eg Nantucket Island display perfectly well.

c:  It used to work absolutely fine! :banghead:

I have tried different settings but I don't think it's a performance issue.  For some reason as I fly over the water it is replacing the sheen of the tiles with what looks like the normal look, almost like tile by tile, it is slicing off some layer that makes up the scenery.  I wondered if it might be a clipping issue but then I haven't changed my clipping settings and I don't even know if that would cause a problem like this in the first place!

Thanks for your help Lawrence, it sure helps having another brain look at it too :)

2 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Shame, I have Chaseplane too and don't see what you do.

It has certainly got me baffled.  Why it would cause an issue at PAVD but not, for example at Nantucket Island or the FTX NA SA region is a bit of a mystery to me.

And the fact it worked before lol

Just in case it helps narrow it down this is a closer shot of the issue.  The darker 'shinier' water to the left is the shape that is moving with the aircraft and the lighter, more matt water to the right is what the water looks like everywhere the aircraft isn't flying over.

pqhCWkZ.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Spent a large part of today trying to fix this but not really making progress.

I noticed that the pier off by the town had a duplicate baked in pier (as below) and if I disable the Southern Alaska region then this disappears as do the vivid jagged edge silt stains.

tvb3aJa.jpg

If I disable the PAVD bgls in Southern Alaska, but re activate the region, the baked in pier and silt stains come back so it doesn't seem to be the SA region PAVD files causing that.

Either way I still have these moving water texture/shine squares around the aircraft.

Frustrating as I really would like to use this scenery but for most of this year I have been unable to.

I had this problem some months back on a couple of scenerys.  The line between light and dark moved along with the aircraft as it traveled over water.

You might like to try this. 

At the opening Scenario Panel, select Options, Lighting, then set Shadow Quality to High, and Shadow Draw Distance to Ultra.

This worked for me.

Hope it helps.

Chris.

Well the great news about the squares is that I posted about this over on Avsim and within 24 hours Rob Ainscough has diagnosed the issue.

I was using the TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 entry in the .cfg file, which works everywhere else in the world I have flown, but here it causes this issue of the water blocks changing texture.  As Rob suggested I switched to 8 and problem gone!  Only issue now is how do I get round having to lower this setting if I want to start in PAVD but fly to another area where TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 would work ???

Starting a new thread about the other issue as it has gotten lost in amongst everything here.

Hello,

good news.

Presumably, as he uses and in fact I believe made the original post about

tinkering with the P3D settings, along with the caveats, he had also seen the 

anomaly and solved it for himself.

I am sorry it took so long, a suggestion that could have been made to return

your P3D configuration files to default would have identified and solved the problem.

I confess that I did not think of it at the time.

2 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

good news.

Presumably, as he uses and in fact I believe made the original post about

tinkering with the P3D settings, along with the caveats, he had also seen the 

anomaly and solved it for himself.

I am sorry it took so long, a suggestion that could have been made to return

your P3D configuration files to default would have identified and solved the problem.

I confess that I did not think of it at the time.

Just one of those odd quirks from fiddling with configs Nick!

Irony is I had reinstalled a couple of times but probably always set that texture to 10 not thinking it would be the culprit!

Archived