General Discussion for XP

Jon Clarke

With Orbx now firmly in the XP market place and influencing newcomers to both XP and Orbx, should we not have a XP General Discussion forum? There appears to be one hidden away in the Tips and Tricks forum for some reason. Orbx has been FSX/P3D centric since it's beginnings but now has evolved with products for additional sims. Maybe the forums need to evolve accordingly.

Tips and Tricks is exactly for advising users about tips and tricks not really the place for a subforum for XP General Discussion.

I will probably get responses quoting user and purchase figures showing that FSX/P3D users are a huge majority as far as Orbx customers are concerned but that is not my point. The new to Orbx sims should be considered as equal in importance and customer discussion and customer support. Currently XP support is very limited and relies heavily on Orbx forum users who happen to use XP either solely (few in reality since they were part of Orbx community due to FSX/P3D and not XP) or in tandem with FSX/P3D/AF2.

I have some comments to make about the new TEGB South SP1 but don't know where exactly I should post them. I am not looking for support so the XP support forum is not the place. If I post in the Tips and Tricks subforum of XP General Discussion it won't be seen as there are only about 20 posts in there since it started. If I post it in the General Discussion forum it will no doubt get moved to the XP General Discussion sub forum in Tips and Tricks.

Hello,

the X Plane 11 discussion forum was recently created at customers' request

to cater exactly for those who wish to share their knowledge of X Plane 11

with other customers.

It has few topics because so far only a few customers have contributed.

The more you add, the more there will be to read.

It is in the Tips and Tricks section because it will hopefully be used to post

tips and tricks to enhance the user experience of X Plane 11.

The Prepar3D discussion forum is more or less redundant now and is

commonly used for misplaced support requests.

It might in fact be better to remove that altogether.

These are support forums for Orbx products, not for simulators, although

there is sometimes simulator related advice needed to correct problems

with the Orbx software.

As Richard writes, if you wish to put forward matters of opinion on an Orbx

product or a simulator, please use the General Discussion forum.

If you have a complaint or a suggestion for a specific improvement about an

Orbx product for X Plane 11, please use the X Plane 11 support forum.

If you have something to share with customers concerning the use of X Plane 11

which will be of value to them, please use the existing X Plane 11 discussion sub forum.

I agree with your response in most aspects but not all. You say that the forums are designed to support Orbx products and not sims. Considering that ALL Orbx products for FSX/P3D are FTX products then surely there is no need for separate Support forums for P3D v4, P3D v3, P3D v2 and P3D v1. They all conform to support under Full Terrain Experience (FTX) Payware and not under a specific sim heading. The only changes in P3D occured when it went to 64 bit from 32 bit and Orbx had to rework with the 32 bit addons to make them 64 bit compatible.

I will use the Public General Discussion forum for both any XP or P3D non support related opinions or dialogue with other users. I am assuming you didn't mean that particular forum was becoming redundant? You mention that the "Prepar3D discussion forum" was becoming redundant but I don't see such a named forum. No Public forum is becoming redundant as far as I can see but there certainly are more than necessary P3D Support forums and then FTX Vector, FTX Global, FTX central 2&3 etc which are all FTX payware covered by that named support forum anyway.

My point is that if you look  at all the P3D/Orbx forums versus XP for example, P3D outnumbers XP vastly. P3D support forum options is bloated and many are redundant and could be amalgamated.

Just my thoughts. Nothing too serious:)

Thank you.

There are indeed an number of redundant forums which may well in due course be

cleaned up. It has been discussed internally several times.

In the meantime, a forum with no posts is eating no grass and can be left well alone.

I wonder that you cannot see the Lockheed Martin PREPAR3D Discussion Forum

There is the Full Terrain Experience (FTX) Payware Support Forum, so named because

when it was, all development was for only one simulator.

There are four P3D forums to go with each of the four iterations so far of P3D.

There is one X Plane 11 forum because there were no products made for earlier versions,

this being a product support forum and not a simulator support forum.

It is not a competition as you seem to be inferring but a result of how the forums have

reacted to progress.

Thanks Nick. I must have a blind spot as I truly didn't  notice the P3D discussion forum!!

I will leave this topic alone now, but just to say that the forums need to be revised to give equal forum topic classification to all 3 sims, whether that be Support or Public General Discussion.

Archived