XP 11 general question

Benny

Yea.... I was ready to buy a plane today, but for 70$ USD... nah.
Yes I could ask that question elsewhere but I am  not on any other sim forum.

So I will take the plunge into XP. Mostly for TE GB stuff ( I don't want t re-buy (for now) all that I own for P3D and AF2)

So a few question if I may and thanks in advance guys

1- I have plenty of room on a HDD, I don't want to invest on another SSD for now, is that ok?

2- I want a weather engine, but no Active Sky this time? Or is the standard XP weather is fine?

3- Since I like to do video :wub: I need a camera system ?

4- Anything that is a must have (free if possible) I would like to know.

5- Best freeware plane or helicopter ?????

My gold today is to start with GB North, my question is: EGPB Sumburgh show that only Orbx Libraries are needed, I thought that it was part of TE GB North?

Thanks for any feedback, if that as already been explain somewhere please point me to the thread.

Ben

Hello Benny, I can answer some of those questions.

1. an HDD is perfectly good enough to use for all your X Plane 11 files,

I use one myself.

An SSD is good but by no means necessary.

2. Active Sky is available for X plane 11.

X Plane 11 does also have a built in real time weather feature.

3. your source for all kinds of addon software is https://store.x-plane.org/

and http://x-plane.org/

4. I will leave this for others to contribute.

It depends so much on what you want to do to X plane 11.

5. the consensus seems to be that the best freeware airliner is the "Zibo"

modification of the default Boeing 737. I am sure that there are many more

recommendations to come. Some of the default aircraft are pretty good too.

There are separate Orbx X Plane 11 libraries.

You will see a link to them if you scroll to the bottom of the airport product pages.

You need to add them to your Orbx Direct account, like all freeware and

then they will appear in FTX Central.

I switched from a HDD to an SSD a few months ago.  I did not notice a difference in performance while in X-Plane.  The SSD did halve the load time and decrease the time for updating the sim.  One of the great tings about X-Plane is that the sim does not put parts of it all over the system.  When I switched drives all I did was copy the X-Plane folder from the old drive to the new drive. So if you decide to upgrade to a SSD the switch is very easy.

I have three different weather add-ons for X-Plane, including Active Sky.  They improve on the basic weather system but the base system works quite well.

For essential add-ons I would recommend the alpilot version 4 mesh.   It improves the mesh and land class beyond the basic X-Plane mesh.

Doc_Z -

I have TEGB, installed with higher priority than the alpilotx mesh, so there would not be any difference due to the alpilotx mesh.  X-Plane has a file in the custom scenery folder named scenery_packs that is similar to the Library function in FSX and P3D.  It sets the priority for add-on scenery, with the higher priority being closer to the top of the file.  If you add the alpilotx mesh per the instructions it will be at the bottom of the file with TEGB above it.  Thus TEGB will show instead of the the other mesh.  You can edit scenery_packs with the Notepad app in Windows.  When I have problems with custom scenery not working properly that is the first place I check to make sure the scenery is in the proper sequence.

Archived