First XP xVision

Jack Sawyer

Read my lips! You don’t need100fps in XP11 for smooth flights.

Put everything out of your mind from your FSX/P3D days. XP11 is designed to give you smooth flights at 30fps. It will automatically increase world detail if it finds your PC can handle it.

30fps is super smooth and stutter free in XP because Laminar designed it that way.

If you are getting 100fps in XP then your settings are waaaay too low and you are compromising your visuals.

The biggest killer is reflections. Just turn it off unless you have an Uber CPU or GPU. Everything else can be set high or max including shadows.

Jack, eventually you will discover FlyWithLUA which is a script engine for XP. This will open up a myriad of pretty cool tweaks that tap into the “hidden” sliders and settings which Laminar removed since XP10. Google it.

Regarding camera views, don’t buy any addons, because the built-in XP camera view system (< > and the arrow keys) can change your viewpoint to precisely where you want and then you save it using CTRL + NUMPAD 0-9

Also learn about Shift+6, Shift+8, Shift+9 views, tweak them and assign them to NUMPAD 0-9.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, John Venema said:

Put everything out of your mind from your FSX/P3D days. XP11 is designed to give you smooth flights at 30fps. It will automatically increase world detail if it finds your PC can handle it.

30fps is super smooth and stutter free in XP because Laminar designed it that way.

If you are getting 100fps in XP then your settings are waaaay too low and you are compromising your visuals.

The biggest killer is reflections. Just turn it off unless you have an Uber CPU or GPU. Everything else can be set high or max including shadows.

Jack, eventually you will discover FlyWithLUA which is a script engine for XP. This will open up a myriad of pretty cool tweaks that tap into the “hidden” sliders and settings which Laminar removed since XP10. Google it.

Regarding camera views, don’t buy any addons, because the built-in XP camera view system (< > and the arrow keys) can change your viewpoint to precisely where you want and then you save it using CTRL + NUMPAD 0-9

Also learn about Shift+6, Shift+8, Shift+9 views, tweak them and assign them to NUMPAD 0-9.

Many many thanks John!  This really eases things quite a bit, because you’re right, even at lower FPS it’s smooth as silk.  I even shut the counter off.

Going to take your advice about the FlyWithLua research and especially the cameras.

This is very much appreciated!

8 hours ago, John Venema said:

Please read my lips as well !

There was never any intention to state that 100fps was needed. I only EVER use the fps count as a guide to how the system is performing and as a target figure. If you are running at 3 fps then you know you have something wrong. If you have 100 fps then you know you are at a lower setting than possible. Sumburgh is at 100fps because there is hardly anything there to cause any throttling and is by the sea and therefore lacking any resource demanding autogen/objects.. logic then states that one's settings could be a lot higher.  The same settings will not give me 100fps at EGLC so my settings are not too low at all. As you are well aware the fps indicator will vary depending on your location. A 100fps at Sumburgh does not equate to 100fps at KLAX with the same settings.

Jack posted pics over London showing 13 fps. That is not satisfactory at all. If, in your words 30fps should be smooth (as it is) then 13fps is totally unacceptable with Jack's hardware. Then Jack posted pics at Sumburgh with 35 fps. Great for Jack as he was now within the 30fps range, however it indicated to me that there was still some throttling going on somewhere because he should have been getting a lot higher and a lot smoother performance. If he flew from Sumburgh to EGLC he would experience 35-13 fps on his journey. THAT was my point. Nothing to do with how many fps you need for a smooth flight but pointing out that there is a throttling scenario happening in his system.

I hope that clarifies my point.

Archived