Wow!

loveclose

I hope this is an appropriate area to post this - please move if not, but.....

Just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed my first day or so with my first Orbx scenery pack.  Took advantage of the Valentine's Day sale and purchased the GB South scenery package which installed and completed the file conversion overnight.  I found the installation files had gone in perfectly and despite a longer loading time, the first flight worked first time.

This scenery is simply stunning - by far the best I've seen just about anywhere.  On the strength of my first couple of flights, I went straight back to the sale and bought Southampton Airport (my local, if you can call and airport a 'local'), and GB Central.  Had I bought GB North as well, I think my wife may have disowned me, so the North package will have to wait awhile.

In terms of accuracy, it's just great.  My buildings setting is only on High at the moment as I now have every excuse to update my RAM and graphics card, but despite these issues I was getting just about a stutter-free frame rate, enough to be able to enjoy what I'm seeing.

I'll be downloading the other two purchases overnight!!

So this post is really just a post of appreciation for a really great job.  It's transformed XP11 into the best flight sim I have on my PC right now, and there's more to come.

11 minutes ago, John Venema said:

It’s pretty safe to set world objects to Maximum in XP11. The biggest FPS killers are Reflections (turn them off basically) and too high AA settings.

+1

I just started using X-Plane 11 a few days ago.  Bought TEGB South and went "Ugh" at first due to stutters and occasional frame rates that would cause X-Plane to yell at me with "I can't run in real time at this frame rate!"

Then I saw JV's post about the recommended Maximum World Objects and turning down Reflections.  Even though it sounds counter-intuitive after all the time on FSX and P3D, just do it.  I can fly over London City and Aerosoft's EGLL now maintaining the X-Plane recommended 25 - 35 minimum frame rate.  And that's using the Cirrus SF50 flying at 200 kts.  No blurries, stutters.  Just do it.

Thanks JV. 

Hi folks, and thanks for your replies.

I had all reflections turned off in XP10 when I had to upgrade my current PC.

In doing so, I lost a dedicated ATI card which was quite dated.  In fairness, my on board graphics are better than that previous ATI card.

The truth is that I have known for some while that XP11 is pretty graphics heavy, and needs more system ram by comparison to say FX which I can run with all sliders high.

Despite the default ATS being poor on XP, XP11 is my sim of choice now for the variety of control on offer, with greater emphasis on user involvement and less automated decision making.  Having made that choice, I think a proper graphics card is justified instead of on board graphics.

And this Orbx scenery deserves a decent graphics card to run it.

Oh, and Southampton airport and GB Central are in the library!!

After getting South to run great using JV's recommendation, I purchased Central earlier today.  It ran great too.  So I'm downloading and installing North as I type this.

And ordering a 4TB SSD to add to my 2TB ones already in my computer.  Newegg loves me. 

5 hours ago, John Venema said:

Thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it!

It’s pretty safe to set world objects to Maximum in XP11. The biggest FPS killers are Reflections (turn them off basically) and too high AA settings.

Currently my fps drops from 45 to 30 if I set to objects to maximum because even my i5 6600k @ 4.3Ghz bottlenecks my 1080Ti.

Having reflections on would kill it stone dead.

30fps is actual very good for XP11. The sim was not designed to be running at 60fps, despite what most people believe to be the "ideal" frame rate.

Don't be hung up on getting 45+fps - 30fps is just as smooth because XP11 automatically increases detail based on your CPU's performance (unless you use fancy lua scripts to force it to do otherwise).

I run at 4K resolution and mostly sit around 30-37fps and believe me, it is butter smooth. Sure, I can get 50-60fps by reducing LOD and playing with sliders or flying over coastal/remote areas, but after a few sessions XP11 creeps the fps back down again as it adds in details to compensate.

The world looks much better with maximum objects, and if you're getting 30fps then just relax and enjoy the experience.

Archived