Capt’s log: Stardate-Valentines Day...Mission X-Plane & True Earth

Capt Pugwash

CaptP has been preparing his systems (The good ship... er...PC Cosmos) for this next step into Flight Simulation Discovery...

This will be a totally ‘Alien’ environment I head into...not sure what to expect, but the journey has today commenced at full warp!

Checklist:

X-Plane purchased and awaiting download

Orbx True Earth South, Central & North Purchased

Think I need some other programs, but I will get around to that once I know the good ship Cosmos is stable in Warp cruise...

The flight deck has been equipped with the finest beer & light snacks for this epic adventure....wish me luck chaps, I am not sure if I will make it back from this alien world of X-Plane in one piece :unsure:

I would suggest adding (mandatory) xVision and (optionally) Ultra Weather to the shopping list, turning the ugly khaki-grey ducklet into a well--colored swan . Settings can be found here on the forum.

Kind regards, Michael

55 minutes ago, pmb said:

I would suggest adding (mandatory) xVision and (optionally) Ultra Weather to the shopping list, turning the ugly khaki-grey ducklet into a well--colored swan . Settings can be found here on the forum.

Kind regards, Michael

Thankyou for the info, Couple of XP newbie question already...

Q: ...Can I just download UK & some areas of Europe from Laminar and then install Orbx True Earth? I do not want to waste time downloading US/Aus etc when I am only at this moment interested in UK  and True Earth 

I will move onto x-plane support here should I need it...

Tks,

CaptP :)

You install the default scenery at the initial stages of installation.You won't miss it but don't forget to choose the areas that you want from the map shown.Any default scenery that has not been loaded appears as a 'waterworld''.

Don't know about installing ORBX TE.

Arrived at destination X-PLANE...it is indeed very alien to me, but this Alien World is somewhat attractive...I am yet to beam down to ‘True Earth’ ...but as soon as I learn their language, I shall be amonst them!

Non of my P3D shortcuts work..I need to learn how to communicate with them, I shall learn before I enter their atmosphere...need more beer!!!

Capt’s log...out

OK... so I have just taken off from East Mids (EGNX & Donnington race track in all its glory) and flew over/around Coventry & Birmimgham...OMG...What amazing detail and performance in x-plane with True Earth , well done indeed ORBX, bloody amazing software, so glad I tried this as well as Central & North in XP,  just stunning....beam me up Scottie...to Scotland to fly there next for some full on sight seeing around the Highlands and lochs  :) 

Guest Colin M

Nice one Capt and thanks for some reminders of where to explore in this great new scenery whilst discovering XP11 too. Have visited Donnington many times for race meets and open air rock concerts too in real life :)

Did you buy XP11 from Steam or Direct? I don't think it makes a difference in the product, apart from it was slightly cheaper for me to buy direct from LR.  Was not sure at first about the whole adventure, had bought XP10 when it came out on Steam ... and nothing to do with Steam, could not get into the sim after the friendly UI of FSX and P3D, that's all changed with XP11 though, its not perfect, but its about a 100 times better and much more accessible now for a home simulator.

Have all three UK ORBX TE vols installed now, and as I live in NE Scotland had to go exploring the moment it was downloaded and ready to use ... I live very close to RAF Lossiemouth. My town has a big 24/7 Tesco store ... in the sim an appropriate looking building is in the right place and has a Tesco sign on roof that looks like our store ... I thought oh wow right there, flew over to next nearest town who have a Tesco store too, and yup ... same thing, not checked yet to see if Asda ... my preferred store have their grocery sign illuminated in my town, but I'd not be surprised if it was ... flew further west towards Inverness Airport and all looks pretty good ... were some slight scenery errors and seemingly unfinished road jump ramp bridges going nowhere ... but its an early release and hopefully will be patched with service packs as we go on, mesh needs improved I think too ... but I'm not beating down this product, absolutely love it.

Oh ... and look out for a certain Scottish shy creature of legend that lives in water but rarely makes an appearance.

Agree entirely Colin...TEGB is superb and runs in x-plane like a dream, still getting used to x-plane, but have to say I am most chuffed with it, it may be some time before I get back into my huge P3D setup/add-ons, I bought my x-plane direct from Laminar, I think better for updates that way maybe... bought the Aerobask Epic E1000 today so I can fly slow were needed and the up to 325 knots to get to another part of True Earth quickly (awesome aircraft and avionics)...did the length of the UK just following the motorways and A roads today...

I will have a butchers for the Tescos rooftop when I fly up that way, I was up at Dunkeld at the Land Rover experience centre before Christmas, stayed over at Fonab Castle at Pitlochry and plan to fly over that area in the sim soon for a butchers, then over to Prestwick Airport, Culzean Castle and the isla craig/Turnberry, Electic Brae & Arran...I am often up in Scotland and it will be awesome to fly these places in the sim in all their glory...this is a hell of a vfr simulator with True Earth...my P3D will be used for airliners and the rest of the world with ftx sceneries still, but the UK just got seriously interesting now it is beautifully detailed by the ORBX boyz :)

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 3:42 PM, Capt Pugwash said:

What amazing detail and performance in x-plane with True Earth...…. :) 

I just started using X-Plane a few days ago too.  If you haven't seen this recommendation from JV yet, try it for your settings while using TE.  Cranking some sliders max right may sound counter-intuitive, but it was a game changer over London for me (along with turning the Reflections down as JV recommended).  And it lets you use maximum objects everywhere else too.  Using his settings I can fly over London in the Cirrus SF-50 at 250 kts at 1000 feet with no stutters, blurries, etc.  Awesome performance in X-Plane.

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/161216-recommend-xp11-slider-settings-for-trueearth-gb/

(Note:  I didn't change my FOV to JV's 90.  I use 60 on my 65" Samsung TV)

On 2/16/2019 at 4:29 AM, Colin M said:

Nice one Capt and thanks for some reminders of where to explore in this great new scenery whilst discovering XP11 too. Have visited Donnington many times for race meets and open air rock concerts too in real life :)

Good times at Monsters of Rock at Donnington as well...used to go to a lot of car & bike meets there...the museum there is awesome if you are into Formula one

I am doing a ‘race track’ search and fly by in the True Earth soon, the detail is great for searching them out, hope the Orbx guys add race cars going around some of the tracks...Silverstone, Brands, Mallory ,Snetterton, Top Gear Track, Knock hill for instance...

Here a guide of track shapes/info for those not from the UK...go explore & find them in True Earth GB :)

http://www.motorsportcircuits.co.uk/html/uk_track_guides.html

On 2/14/2019 at 11:40 PM, pmb said:

Kind regards, Michael

Hi Michael, I just can't find the XVision setting for TE Britain. Could you point out a link please? Thanks!

3 hours ago, yanlaoge said:

Hi Michael, I just can't find the XVision setting for TE Britain. Could you point out a link please? Thanks!

There is no specific setting for TE GB but a general suggestion on ORBX scenery under XP11. This one can be found here

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/163493-ultra-weather-xp-xvision-settings-xp11/

I use it with TE GB and find it looks really well and natural (... to my taste, of course).

Kind regards, Michael

12 hours ago, pmb said:

There is no specific setting for TE GB but a general suggestion on ORBX scenery under XP11. This one can be found here

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/163493-ultra-weather-xp-xvision-settings-xp11/

I use it with TE GB and find it looks really well and natural (... to my taste, of course).

Kind regards, Michael

Great! Thank you so much!

Guest Colin M
On 2/17/2019 at 8:13 AM, Capt Pugwash said:

Good times at Monsters of Rock at Donnington as well...used to go to a lot of car & bike meets there...the museum there is awesome if you are into Formula one

I am doing a ‘race track’ search and fly by in the True Earth soon, the detail is great for searching them out, hope the Orbx guys add race cars going around some of the tracks...Silverstone, Brands, Mallory ,Snetterton, Top Gear Track, Knock hill for instance...

Here a guide of track shapes/info for those not from the UK...go explore & find them in True Earth GB :)

http://www.motorsportcircuits.co.uk/html/uk_track_guides.html

Thanks for that Capt, did many a track day at Knockhill racing circuit in Fife in my mad youth on a GSXR750 and more :)

Nagged the Scotflight Guys (back in the day) to get that track into FSX/P3D and they did, recently asked them if they would consider a Scotflight for XP11, sadly the answer is no and we have to respect that decision, bought ORBX Sumburgh today though and looking fwd to exploring it from an XP11 perspective.

BTW Capt, was down in your neck of the woods, 2016 to see the return of Ritchie Blackmores Rainbow at Birmingham Genting Arena show, me and a couple of mates drove down, bad timing from NE Scotland, arrived far to early ... but I'd spotted a good Motorcycle museum sign on the motorway turn off ... and wow what a find it was, hours before our hotel would take us in and so we had to find something to do ... it turns out it was not just an ordinary Motorcycle museum, but the UK National British (All British Bikes ) Motorcycle Museum, 5 or more halls of British Bikes, old and new, thousands of amazing bikes .. so glad we found that place before our hotel was ready to take us in and then for the Ritchie Blackmore show later on too ... magic weekend :)

http://www.nationalmotorcyclemuseum.co.uk/

Heading down south again in June for the Manchester Metallica show in June 18th, road trip again, its gonna be fun :)

Archived