New to XP...Q: how to install XP & ORBX True-earth GB on seperate SSD drive?

Capt Pugwash

As per my comments in the hardware thread...I have recently put my P3D & OS etc on a new 2TB ssd and intend to put X-PLANE & ORBX True Earth GB on my seperate formatted 1TB SSD...

Before I proceed with purchasing X-Plane & ORBX TEGB ...a couple of questions for the knowing;

1/ Where is the best place to purchase X-Plane? ...(not the cheapest place, but best for updates /support etc) Aerosoft appear to offer additional airports...but X-PLANE site directly I presume would be logical to ensure faster updates etc?

2/ How to install  ORBX True Earth GB on a Seperate SSD drive without any drama? has anybody a step by step installation procedure for doing this please?

Can’t wait to dip my toes into the X-Plane world and see how True Earth GB looks/ performs B)

tks

Hi. You won’t regret it Captain and yes you could just buy it off the site or the box edition. It does take a bit of getting used to especially setting up the controls and getting it just right for your computer and getting the scenery in the right order can be a bit of a pain sometimes. Plus yes you can put Xplane on one drive and using a junction link is it called, the scenery on another drive. It’s brilliant. Derek.

On 1/28/2019 at 3:53 PM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

why would you want to install your Orbx X Plane 11 products on a "separate SSD"

and from what please?

Many folks such as myself have tons of scenery, mesh and ortho ( TE GB north will put me officially over 4 TB i fear) so we end up moving things to separate drives and linking them back via a symlink to the main XP install.  My Main XP drive is nearly full, so TE GB north won't even install on that drive.  It would be very nice for FTX to allow us to put them in the linked drive and not just the XP drive.  I'm using my Beta install, then will move it to the correct drive and link it over to the main XP drive FTX will think I don't have it installed but untill i can manually tell it where things are i have to deal with it.  Its not hard at all however to use symlinks to link up all the scenery, mine is now across 4 different drives.

On 1/27/2019 at 2:29 AM, Capt Pugwash said:

As per my comments in the hardware thread...I have recently put my P3D & OS etc on a new 2TB ssd and intend to put X-PLANE & ORBX True Earth GB on my seperate formatted 1TB SSD...

Before I proceed with purchasing X-Plane & ORBX TEGB ...a couple of questions for the knowing;

1/ Where is the best place to purchase X-Plane? ...(not the cheapest place, but best for updates /support etc) Aerosoft appear to offer additional airports...but X-PLANE site directly I presume would be logical to ensure faster updates etc?

2/ How to install  ORBX True Earth GB on a Seperate SSD drive without any drama? has anybody a step by step installation procedure for doing this please?

Can’t wait to dip my toes into the X-Plane world and see how True Earth GB looks/ performs B)

tks

Hey mate , for me the Steam platform (https://store.steampowered.com/app/269950/XPlane_11/)  works great  ; automatic updates and beta opt in also . The Orbx scenery of course is run thru FTXC .

Cheers

John

24 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Thanks.

I am aware of all of that and you should be aware that FTX Central version 4 is intended to address most of it.

However, the question was addressed to Captain Pugwash and his proposed drive configuration.

I'm eagerly waiting for V4 of FTX, fully intend to see if I can stream line my install of Orbx stuff using it.  Meanwhile, i've gotta burn up 3 hours as FTX converts TE GB North.

On 1/28/2019 at 10:53 PM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

why would you want to install your Orbx X Plane 11 products on a "separate SSD"

and from what please?

Nick,

I already have my WiN 10 OS, P3Dv4 and all my many Orbx products on my new 2TB SSD...perfect!

So now I wish to purchase x-plane11 and TEGB South,Central & North and install on a seperate 1TB SSD...is this possible to segregate the two sims completely between different drives?

many thanks... 

PS; will also be buying TrueEarth England for P3D as well,  so I will probably have the best of both Worlds regardless8) 

TKS, CaptP

Archived