Dust bowl effects temp remedy.

Jon Clarke

The reported dust bowl effects at some of the Orbx XP airports like Cardiff and Shoreham can be temporarily removed.

The problem appears to be affected by the aircraft effects in some instances. This is probably not the whole source of the problem but is an influence.

To remove this anomaly you need to go into XP's Plane Maker which is in the XP directory.

Go File/Open where you will get a listing of the installed planes.Seek the plane you want fly and click on it.

A pic should appear.

Look down to the bottom of the screen and locate the option "Open Aircraft" and another pic appears. 

At the top of the screen are several options. Click on EXPERT and then Invisible Parts.

At the bottom of that screen there is an option to "Disable X-Planes Built-in Effects".

UNTICK all the boxes.

No more dust bowl.

I have not tried unticking a box at a time, you can try that, but I know that unticking ALL removes the dust bowl effect from appearing.

Unticking ALL  will also remove the heat haze exhaust effect from the rear of in particular a jet like the Cirrus. This exhaust effect is related to the Particles upgrade by XP and can be a bit of a resource hog. Up to you if you want to keep it, just don't untick the first box in the options "Use X-plane built-in engine effects"

Good luck.

@kaboki Hopefully this temporary fix will allow you to fly from the offending airports.:)

Whilst this suggestion may remove the mud and dust particle effect from displaying, it doesn't actually fix the main issue, which is that you need excessive power to keep the aircraft moving. You will also need almost maximum power to get moving from a standstill with certain aircraft when stuck on one of the effected hard taxiways.

4 hours ago, Andydigital said:

Whilst this suggestion may remove the mud and dust particle effect from displaying, it doesn't actually fix the main issue, which is that you need excessive power to keep the aircraft moving. You will also need almost maximum power to get moving from a standstill with certain aircraft when stuck on one of the effected hard taxiways.

That is not a problem I was attempting to resolve. The dust/mud effect was the initial primary problem raised, not the problem regarding motion friction. At least the dust and mud effect is temporarily resolved so let's be thankful for that. It wasn't necessary for me to do any research or effort to see what could be done let alone share the result. Maybe you would like to see if you can resolve the motion problem and share your results.

The devs are looking at a proper resolution so I will leave it to the experts.

Here have a cookie instead. :D

Do you really think people are bothered about a little smoke coming off their tyres?  Tyres and dust which they cant see from the cockpit might I add. The bouncing up and down like you are on waltzers and having to use huge amounts of thrust to move is what bothers people.

Hope you enjoy the cookie.

I know exactly what the problem is, they need to add a hardened surface in the equivalent of the AFD file for X-Plane. They use a texture for the taxiway, it's not a real taxiway as such as far as X-plane is concerned at the moment there is nothing there, it's just a field as far as XP knows, so they need to add an invisible taxiway surface in that AFD file under that picture of a taxiway. Laminar probably changed something in 11.30 that broke the particular surface they were using previously in the AFD. 

By the way I don't need or expect a pat on the back to help people.

Your onto something andy, what ever they changed already came befor 11.30. Actually i suspect they never added these invisible taxiways and runways, because i had this issue since goodwood was released. Dont even remember what build xplane was then.. 

12 hours ago, Andydigital said:

Here have a cookie instead. :D

Do you really think people are bothered about a little smoke coming off their tyres?  Tyres and dust which they cant see from the cockpit might I add. The bouncing up and down like you are on waltzers and having to use huge amounts of thrust to move is what bothers people.

Hope you enjoy the cookie.

I know exactly what the problem is, they need to add a hardened surface in the equivalent of the AFD file for X-Plane. They use a texture for the taxiway, it's not a real taxiway as such as far as X-plane is concerned at the moment there is nothing there, it's just a field as far as XP knows, so they need to add an invisible taxiway surface in that AFD file under that picture of a taxiway. Laminar probably changed something in 11.30 that broke the particular surface they were using previously in the AFD. 

By the way I don't need or expect a pat on the back to help people.

Many thanks for the cookie. It was a bit sweet for my pallet and maybe slightly overdone regarding the amount of sarcasm used in the recipe:P

Archived