CAC8 Nanaimo SPB: FPS < 1

hjmx

First, I wish everybody a Happy New Year.

Unfortunately my first sim day this year gave me the worst performance I've ever experienced during the last few years. Landing with Aerosofts DHC-6-100 float plane at Nanaimo Water Aerodrome [Area B] towards Southern direction gave an extreme stutter shortly after landing. FPS go down to 0.7 fps (coming from 30 fps). After a while fps goes up but only for a short period of time to fell down to 0.7 fps again. Even with moderate settings (and I have a beefy system) this is reproducible. That means the scenery is not usable with P3D 4.4 and Aerosofts Twin Otter Extended.

Please, could somebody try to verify this issue?

Hello,

I wish I could give you a quick and easy answer: with a system that is not as powerful as yours and pretty much all settings maxed out, and running Active Sky, I'm still getting frame rates in the neighborhood of 25 plus with few brief dips to say 17 or 18 at CAC8 and this with the rather complex Milviz Otter.  What are your settings for reflections and shadows?  But if this is only happening at CAC8, I have no solution, so sorry. At least it didn't cost that much.

Maybe Doug or Nick might help you address more general issues if that's  the problem.

This problem is only at CAC8. At all other regions/airprts in PNW/PFJ I have 25-30 fps with high settings. Did you land in Area B coming from North/East direction landing southwards. As I said, it happens only after the landing when I am directing to the peer. When I start at the peer aand take off dir North, everything is ok.

Hello,

Thanks for clarifying that this only occurs landing in Area B coming from the NE.  I have just made two test flights in different seasons using the Milviz  Otter and cannot reproduce the problem.  This with a clean install of the release version of 4.4.  I also did dozens of landings in area B using P3D v4.x both from the north and from the south without problems while working on the Service Pack. And I can’t remember anyone reporting the issue prior in over 10,000 installs.  Have you tried landing in Area A by the way?

I can only think of a couple of possible causes:

Resources being used by AI boats which happened to be active during landing:  uncheck AI Foot Ferries and  AI sailboat, uncheck AI Seaspan tug  in the Control Panel and test using the same time and date where the problem occurs.  Try setting  the Ships and Ferries slider full left. Set the Leisure boat slider full left too.

One of the AI traffic programs installs a fake seaplane base in Area B, can’t remember the exact designation or the problem it causes;  CAC7 or CAC9, something like that. Check the map associated with the traffic program.  If you find the fake SPB, disable it.  Try disabling all AI aircraft to confirm that this is not the source.

If neither of these are the cause, and since I can’t reproduce the issue you would have to approach it as I would ---  if it’s important enough to you.  Start by disabling  CAC8 and test to confirm the issue requires CAC8 active. Use the verify files feature in FTXC3 to check the CAC8 files.  Check the PNW files too. With CAC8 active, try another aircraft, try a different time and date, try with and without AI aircraft active. Try with and without Active Sky.  Try disabling everything in the CAC8 Control Panel, then adding things back one by one.  If the problem is still not isolated it’s a long process of temporarily disabling half the scenery files then testing to see if this solves the issue. If it does, you add half the disabled files back, test again, and so on.  One would do this with the .agn files in the texture folder too.  On occasion, even this process will not pick up some more subtle problems, say conflicts with other installed products.  In any case, the disable half and test procedure requires that the problem be consistently repeatable (which I gather it is).

5 hours ago, Larry_R said:

Hello,

Thanks for clarifying that this only occurs landing in Area B coming from the NE.  I have just made two test flights in different seasons using the Milviz  Otter and cannot reproduce the problem.  This with a clean install of the release version of 4.4.  I also did dozens of landings in area B using P3D v4.x both from the north and from the south without problems while working on the Service Pack. And I can’t remember anyone reporting the issue prior in over 10,000 installs.  Have you tried landing in Area A by the way?

I can only think of a couple of possible causes:

Resources being used by AI boats which happened to be active during landing:  uncheck AI Foot Ferries and  AI sailboat, uncheck AI Seaspan tug  in the Control Panel and test using the same time and date where the problem occurs.  Try setting  the Ships and Ferries slider full left. Set the Leisure boat slider full left too.

One of the AI traffic programs installs a fake seaplane base in Area B, can’t remember the exact designation or the problem it causes;  CAC7 or CAC9, something like that. Check the map associated with the traffic program.  If you find the fake SPB, disable it.  Try disabling all AI aircraft to confirm that this is not the source.

If neither of these are the cause, and since I can’t reproduce the issue you would have to approach it as I would ---  if it’s important enough to you.  Start by disabling  CAC8 and test to confirm the issue requires CAC8 active. Use the verify files feature in FTXC3 to check the CAC8 files.  Check the PNW files too. With CAC8 active, try another aircraft, try a different time and date, try with and without AI aircraft active. Try with and without Active Sky.  Try disabling everything in the CAC8 Control Panel, then adding things back one by one.  If the problem is still not isolated it’s a long process of temporarily disabling half the scenery files then testing to see if this solves the issue. If it does, you add half the disabled files back, test again, and so on.  One would do this with the .agn files in the texture folder too.  On occasion, even this process will not pick up some more subtle problems, say conflicts with other installed products.  In any case, the disable half and test procedure requires that the problem be consistently repeatable (which I gather it is).

Larry, thank you for your perfect answer. Yes indeed, it was not the scenery nor the setting rather it is the AS TwinOtter which causes the problem here. Meanwhile I purchased Milviz DHC-3 and repeated the situation ... No problems anymore.

Thanks for the update Harry,

I vaguely remember something about the Aerosoft Twin Otter compatibility but forgot to mention it.   For me, the Milviz Otter with the Harbour Air livery is the perfect aircraft for the SPBs.

6 hours ago, Larry_R said:

Thanks for the update Harry,

I vaguely remember something about the Aerosoft Twin Otter compatibility but forgot to mention it.   For me, the Milviz Otter with the Harbour Air livery is the perfect aircraft for the SPBs.

Thanks for the recommendation, Larry.  The Milviz Otter is on my wish list.  Word is Aerosoft will be coming out with a Twin Otter redux, or some such, as the current version is in serious need of a remake, given P3Dv4 is on the books.

Archived