Greebles please!

Fizzelle

Whilst I am delighted with the TEGB products, I have noticed, particularly in Londinium, that many buildings have flat featureless roofs. I think these are ORBX roofs, but feel free to correct me!

Any chance of some greebles, please, in a future SP?

Thank you ORBX

OK I admit I had to look it up...

A greeble (/ˈɡriːbliː/) or nurnie is a fine detailing added to the surface of a larger object that makes it appear more complex, and therefore more visually interesting. It usually gives the audience an impression of increased scale.

Do facial wrinkles count?

7 hours ago, Fizzelle said:

Whilst I am delighted with the TEGB products, I have noticed, particularly in Londinium, that many buildings have flat featureless roofs. I think these are ORBX roofs, but feel free to correct me!

Any chance of some greebles, please, in a future SP?

Thank you ORBX

At this stage, at $50 for the sheer complexity of the scenery, compromises have to be made, and using building models with a limited range of available textures etc is one of those compromises. 

Thanks John. When I was doing 3DS Max etc a simple script file would add greebles automatically. It took no time at all, at no extra cost and made a big difference to the visuals. As one is flying above the scenery, it would make a nice addition for the future, perhaps. 

But thank you for the info which I'm happy to take under advisement. 

1 hour ago, Fizzelle said:

Thanks John. When I was doing 3DS Max etc a simple script file would add greebles automatically. It took no time at all, at no extra cost and made a big difference to the visuals. As one is flying above the scenery, it would make a nice addition for the future, perhaps.

I am not sure if this would be really the problem. Those standard buildings are used many, many times to fill the scenery, so every tiny detail that these buildings contain has a big impact on the resources at run time, even with tricks like indexing. And you don't really can't see where critical areas might be, since there are many places where they can appear. Improvements can be done at a later time, when they simply have more time.

And since they are in the process of hiring new people tiny details are normally a good way to bring a new guy up to speed, when he has to learn new tools.

Archived