Approach lights - too high

ianb2469

Hi,

I love the products, and am now almost fully converted to X-Plane! I've had one issue - see attached photo - the approach lights for RW07 at Newcastle EGNT (using TE CENTRAL) are far too high - and are actually an obstacle on approach (or departure on RW25).

Thanks,

Ian.

b738_98.png

• 2 months later...
On 12/24/2018 at 2:48 PM, tonywob said:

Hmm, this one is pretty baffling as we don't touch the airports, so X-Plane must be doing something very odd with the approach lights when it uses TE terrain. My only guess until I can look into this more is that default EGNT is being flattened and it's causing the approach lights to be unusually high up.

As the most recent contributor to the X-Plane gateway for EGNT I can say the 'always flatten' flag is disabled from within WED, the only flattening will be the airport boundary.

Hi Miller745 & thanks for the reply,

Does that mean it's a Laminar problem ?

I am not sure whats going on with it.

In the real world the approach to 07 at EGNT does have some land fall off as you approach BUT the lights are much lower than on the sim.

Dave

I've posted on their forum to see if anyone knows why it's happening, no response so far. Will file a bug report in a few days.

A quick fix is to download WED, import EGNT from the gateway, select "newcastle" in the top right and tick the "always flatten" box, then export the scenery pack.

That'll make the lighting a bit lower, but still not as low as it is without Orbx TE.

AW139_17.png

Thanks for the info.

I can get the same affect by ticking the "Runways follow terrain" box in the General Tab

Problem is looks so flat off to the west, you know we have a slight hill off to the west of 07 at EGNT

Will see what happens with the bug rebort at LR

Thanks for the info.

I got a reply from a Laminar associate, which places the ball for this firmly in Orbx's court.

Any 3rd party library or addon can modify ANY aspect of the default scenery. Your own test have already clearly shown that its NOT happening when you use the default sim.

Default approach light are always drawn as sitting at the ground level, there is no user configurability in this. That is why Laminars base mesh scenery has intentionally somewhat level surfaces extending from the approach ends of the runways.

If you install someone else base mesh scenery and ANYTHING is working differently as you like it - its 100% between you and that 3rd party, always.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2019 at 3:30 PM, miller745 said:

I've posted on their forum to see if anyone knows why it's happening, no response so far. Will file a bug report in a few days.

A quick fix is to download WED, import EGNT from the gateway, select "newcastle" in the top right and tick the "always flatten" box, then export the scenery pack.

That'll make the lighting a bit lower, but still not as low as it is without Orbx TE.

AW139_17.png

If I do this will I lose the sloping runway?

Ian.

From what I understand Orbx need to lower the terrain mesh on approach to 07, there's no other way to make the lighting lower and keep the runway from being as flat as a pool table. This is Laminars "workaround" to the issue.

Here's how it should look!

vlcsnap-2019-03-15-17h54m39s901.png

Archived