Absolutely Spectacular! Jigsaw's PNW video ... Scar Creek to Tsuniah Lake

Guest J van E

Hi guys,

for clarification: PNW will include both water textures (the basic colors) and water class files (the water class files telling the sim where to place different water textures). FTX AU is limited to water class files, relying on the default textures or whatever third-party textures the user has installed as far as water colors are concerned. However, AU GREEN and RED use a special system to display the seasonal water bodies in the interior so their colors are determined by FTX as well.

Cheers, Holger

Clear. I already started to doubt myself. ;) Good to hear btw!

Fantastic video Patrick...one word of advice for next time tho......Dodo.  ;D

I'd love to, but like I said: FS Recorder doesn't work properly with helicopters and FS Recorder is essential for the creation of a video like that, because I had to use two aircraft flying in formation.

FTX AU is limited to water class files

Oh, really? Now I'm surprised, because I never saw that greenish tint of water anywhere else in the FSX world, so I assumed that the AU scenery did something to the water textures as well.

Guest J van E

Patrick

Becasue PNW looks all mountains/trees for 95% of the time, do you find you can max out auto gen etc for flying there. Unlike AUS.

LOL I get the biggest drop in smoothness above trees... So that would mean I should expect less from PNW than from AUS. ;) But I think you are mistaken it's 95% mountains and trees: I think it's better to say 'the screenshots we see here are 95% mountains and trees'... ;)

Becasue PNW looks all mountains/trees for 95% of the time, do you find you can max out auto gen etc for flying there. Unlike AUS.

Every system is different and I don't want to make any predictions in that matter. I could make this flight with Extremely Dense autogen (without tweaks) and got quite decent framerates on my system.  Just wait for the demo and decide for yourself. ;)

Every system is different and I don't want to make any predictions in that matter. I could make this flight with Extremely Dense autogen (without tweaks) and got quite decent framerates on my system.  Just wait for the demo and decide for yourself. ;)

Looking at you pc spec and mine i think i should be ok on max then, Think i will skip the demo and wait for the full version. Thanks Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

P.S. Just had a very first look at the first two airports that are planned for PNW... Very first because I am not really interested in addon airports. But boy, this time I am going to buy every addon that will be released for that region... I didn't do that for Australia, because I liked it as it was and I don't really have anything with that region (even though I fly there all the time) and I also don't spend a lot of time around a single airport, but PNW is going to rock my FSX-world... Can't wait. I promised myself never to wait for FSX-addons, but this one is to good NOT to look out for daily.

Not trying to talk you into anything, but I just wanted to nudge you about your thinking in your message.  I bought AU Blue almost a year ago and it quickly became my default area to fly in, even though I've never been to Oz.  I hesitated to buy it, because I'd already gotten UTX and GEX and was a bit disappointed.  But I liked the demo (good idea) a lot, and so bought it.  Like you, I thought I didn't need the payware airports.  I d/l Launceton and was troubled by the hit on FPS it made.  But, when the Tamworth TextureFlow beta came out recently I bought AU Gold and that airport to give it a try (and to support this amazing team). 

I liked the results, but even more, I liked the scenery.  It was stunningly realistic.  Better even than the high standard of the regular area scenery.  So, as you can see from my sig, one airport followed another until I have almost all of them. 

I've been waiting for PNW this whole time since finding out about Orbx and getting AU Blue.  But, and I can't believe I'm saying this, I think I may continue to spend just as much time flying Oz now that I have the airports.  It's not that I spend much time around any one, but I LOVE taking off from one and flying to another, and then to another.  Going from one almost photo-real scenery to the next, and being able to land in airports that look pretty much like life has made my FSX experience a completely and radically different animal.  They line up so nicely along the Gold coast.  I can fly from S. of Sydney to Hervey Bay or beyond and have a super realistic airport to land at on every leg.

When I first got FSX, I flew it a couple of times and was disappointed.  Nothing like my experiences flying in RL, and mostly because of the lame scenery.  Then I found FTX and flew it more, because it was SO much closer to life.  Then I got these airports, and for the first time, it feels so close to flying in RL that I sometimes think I prefer FTX.  Such amazing scenery and it sure is a HELL of a lot cheaper!  I'm flying every day now, and find myself thinking up new cross country adventures to try out (tonights adventure was Katoomba YKAT to Somersby (??) to Warnervale YWMA and there was some stunning scenery along the way across the Blue Mtns and down to the sea north of Sydney as the sun slowly lowered in the pinking sky).

So, I've pre-bought PNW and both airports, and look forward to exploring what is pretty much my favorite part of the world, but I will continue to fly the heck out of Oz, and it's those airports that will keep me doing it. 

Just food for thought. 

Best money I've spent on flying related activity in a long time.

• 6 months later...

Absolutely spectacular indeed, Orbx you have done yourself proud with PNW.

Cheers,

Mitchell

I remember climbing around in mountains that looked just like that - Sawtooth Mountains in Idaho with mostly Douglas Fir trees.  Not a good place for a GoldWing.

jja

• 2 weeks later...

Archived