PNG/Kokoda flying inspiration - book reco

Sholay

So, I know the AYPY Jacksons is not new. I know there is whole bunch of good forum threads on Kokoda flying.

However...

The whole reason I recently picked up the ORBX Scenery was a book 'Flying the Knife Edge: New Guinea Bush Pilot'. This is great reading full of PNG aviation stories from '90 as well as WWII and before.

Strongly recommended, as the author,  Matt MacLaughlin, was flying to many airstrips from ORBX scenery, and level of details of his stories comes down to tips on how to land in Efogi, Tapini etc.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25535072-flying-the-knife-edge

https://backcountrypilot.org/features/category/tales-from-yesteryear/flying-the-knife-edge/68-flying-the-knife-edge

If anyone can share anything else on that subject would be great!

Andrzej

Loved that book, one my favourites, Matt also helped me out with some information on the 'jungles' and 'goilalas' which was great, and we also had a huge amount of assistance from a gentleman who flew some big iron into these strips but wished to remain anonymous, so when the orthoimagery catches up in this part of the world... we have a stash of photos for a ton of future projects

Theres a little collection of videos I found from these areas, posted here

Also did a whole bunch of repaints for the Twinotter, and a couple for some others, link in my signature

Terrific thread! No idea how come I could not find these clips previously. Thanks :D

Out of curiosity, regadring this: " flew some big iron into these strips". How BIG that iron was? (not that size matters)

Andrzej

DC3s flew into Kokoda, Woitape and Tapini for many years before being replaced by Twotters.  Caribous flew into both Goilala and Koiari (Papuan Kokoda Trail language group) airstrips sometimes unsuccessfully (Tapini and Efogi). Islanders flew into them all.

Got this book last Christmas...mentioned it here...reply from Tim:

"Flying the knife edge is a great read, I had a digital copy and read it while working on the Tapini project, also had some chats with the author, he flew into a lot of the strips contained in the AYPY and TAP packages (the Jungles and the Goilalas) and the information gleaned helped me/us a lot"

I'm now reading it for the second time - this time I'm listing all the airfields/strips mentioned in the book and covered by orbx in their great png - Jacksons AYPY - package. When I'm done with the listing I'll be flying all the routes covered in the book...in Vr with mynOculuscRift,

Don

Archived