ORBX FTX Chicago, Illinois scenery error

Greetings,

I have an ORBX scenery problem that appears to be unique.  I live in the Chicago, Illinois area and obtained my PPL many years ago flying out of KMDW.  I have been using P3Dv4 and noticed a scenery issue with a prominent landmark just north of the airport.  Just north of the airport is a major expressway and just north of that is the Chicago River.  Both run parallel to one another and run northeast and southwest through the city.

I recently noticed that the river does not run as a continuous body of water.  A large section of the river, just north of KMDW,  is a solid land mass populated with various with land objects.  Some distance to the northeast the river appears as it should as it does some distance to the southwest.  This break in the river has got me puzzled.  I know it is a minor issue but it is a prominent landmark and I am trying to figure out the problem.

I went into the P3Dv4 scenery library and disabled all the ORBX files.  When I started the sim and flew, the river appeared as it should.  So it is there as it should with the default P3D scenery.  I then started down the scenery list and enabled all the ORBX files one at a time.  The river appears as it should with all the ORBX files enabled except for the following last two files. 

ORBXIVECTOR_CVX     ORBX\FTX_VECTOR\FTX_VECTOR_CVX      45

ORBXIVECTOR_EXX      ORBX\FTX_VECTOR\FTX_VECTOR_EXX      46

When the CVX file enabled, the river is one continuous body of water but a large section of it is black and there are other black areas in the surrounding area.

When the EXX file is enabled after the CVX file, the black area in the river is gone as are the black areas in the surrounding area.  Everything appears as it it should except that a large section of the river, just north of the airport is solid land mass.

I had the same problem with FSX and ORBX about two years ago.  I can't remember exactly how I solved the problem but I now believe it was an issue with the same two files.  I have since stopped using FSX.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?  It is obvious that these two files are the problem.  If they are somehow corrupted can I fix them?  I guess I can use ORBX without these two files but I am not sure as to their purpose or what else might be affected by running the sim with them disabled. I hope I am not being picky but I like everything with my sims working as they should.

Thank you,

cbreeze 

P3dv4 1.PNG

Doug,

Thank you very much.  The response I have been waiting for.  It is annoying because it is such a prominent landmark flying north out of KMDW.  I hope you can correct it without much trouble.

Thank you again,

cbreeze

• Thanks 1

On 12/4/2018 at 11:45 PM, cbreeze said:

Thank you very much.  The response I have been waiting for.  It is annoying because it is such a prominent landmark flying north out of KMDW.  I hope you can correct it without much trouble.

Attached is a fix that adds the missing segment of the Chicago River back into the sim.  I dug a little deeper and also corrected a few other features that I found were missing.  The Calumet River was missing west of Lake Calumet, as well as the Indiana Harbor Canal.  Place the file in your library somewhere above Vector.

Typical of these SBX Builder fixes, the new shorelines (FSX/P3D default gray) don't match the style of the ORBX shorelines (greenish) and there's nothing I can do about that - small price to pay.  If you notice any shorelines missing, let me know - the excludes to prevent the default Vector shorelines from crossing the river where it "ended" can be finicky - I think I caught and re-added all the ones it blocks out, but it's possible I may have missed one. 

As is usual when you go looking for problems, you usually find them...

chicago.thumb.jpg.0a87612f6f307c46e9c530d2c93d0cfa.jpg

CVX_2417_SBX_CMS.BGL

Edited by Sabretooth78
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2