True Earth Great Britain South

rammysteve

I am now really frustrated with ORBX scenery true earth Great Britain South for X plane 11 SE. I have spent the last TWO days trying to get this add on to work and it wont. Every time I try to run X plane with this installed all I get is "Be advised error could not locate image file for terrain etc". I have read and tried so many different ways suggested in the forums, but nothing is working.

I have the latest Microsoft Visual C++, I have the latest version of FTX central 3 I have downloaded and installed this add on using FTX central 3 as advised.

I have re-installed this now 3 times, and you know how long it takes to download, extract and install.

I am now at the stage to

A request a refund 

B never waste my time ever again with any ORBX products.

2 hours ago, rammysteve said:

I am now really frustrated with ORBX scenery true earth Great Britain South for X plane 11 SE. I have spent the last TWO days trying to get this add on to work and it wont. Every time I try to run X plane with this installed all I get is "Be advised error could not locate image file for terrain etc". I have read and tried so many different ways suggested in the forums, but nothing is working.

I have the latest Microsoft Visual C++, I have the latest version of FTX central 3 I have downloaded and installed this add on using FTX central 3 as advised.

I have re-installed this now 3 times, and you know how long it takes to download, extract and install.

I am now at the stage to

A request a refund 

B never waste my time ever again with any ORBX products.

Understand your frustration but please be aware that 99.99% of failed installs are due to lack of Disk space for the download AND extraction, or user error.

Please read the link Nick has provided and ensure you meet the process and criteria required as laid out in the link.Good luck.

Hi Nick

Thanks for your reply, I do have enough hard drive space, the strange thing is the files the error message refers to are in the relevant folders. I read your installation problems solutions and noticed at the end you mention for reference the textures folder should contain 12098 files which mine does, but you say none of them should be. jpeg files.

Well all my texture files are .jpeg except the black and white files I think these are mask files which are .png files, what should the .jpeg files be?

Hi Nick

Well at last I have managed to figure out the problem and get this add on working. The problem was as Nick pointed out was that the jpg files had not been converted to dds files.

I tried again using FTX central but it failed to convert. I downloaded a simple conversion tool and converted the jpg files into dds files myself. A bit of trial and error to start with as the first time it failed, so after a bit of reading I noticed that the dds files also have to be mipmaps. So I tried again selecting mipmaps using DTX1 and bingo it worked.

I have to now give credit to ORBX the end result is amazing scenery, worth the hard work in the end but it would have been at lot easier if the FTX central had done the conversion in the first place. Thank you for your help I hope fewer problems going forward.

Archived