Great Britain Central

14 minutes ago, Shotgun Steve said:

Can anybody tell me when Great Britain Central and North will be released I'm currently debating whether to buy fsx or X-Plane 11 I'm on the fence at the moment because I need northern scenery.

Admittedly I am an Xplane fanboy but Xplane is 64 bit and currently being ported to Vulkan, is very well supported with constant updates improving the sim.

When you buy FSX you are buying an old engine and sim which is only being kept alive by a loving community, when you buy Xplane you are buying a modern sim and assuring a reasonable amount of future-proofing and upgrades.

Xplane requires atop end rig to get the most out of it but if you have that then there would be only one choice for me.

If you were considering whether it was worth ditching FSX for Xplane that would be a much harder and more nuanced decision.

That is the case for Xplane so hopefully someone will be along and make a good case for FSX for balance.

thank you for your reply. I think I do want X plane 11 it's just I'm so tempted by the fantastic ftx scenery for England and the global base pack, also uk2000 seem to be the only developer on the planet who has made egnm Leeds which looks fantastic. The problem I feel with X-Plane is I am limited to photo scenery and not a lot of aircraft and airports, this is a difficult decision. I have a powerful new rig on the way, I am an ex, fsx simmer but haven't flew for years so just getting back into it. Decisions decisions.... Things that are important to me are, 1.  cloud immersion, I have to be able to fly through clouds with zero visibility I remember Rex didn't offer this,  as I flew into a cloud it would just disperse. 2,  turbulence I would love to bump up and down when flying through bad weather, 3. I need Leeds Bradford Airport preferably payware. 

I don't think anyone can justifiably make a good case for FSX... not if starting from scratch.  It just doesn't make sense....... the choice should realistically be between P3D v4 and X-Plane both of which are 64 bit multi-threaded applications and both of which have their strengths and weaknesses.

X-Plane appears to handle multi-threading better than P3D, with significantly better flight characteristics, but it currently uses older technology for the graphics engine (openGL), at least until it fully utilises Vulcan, in which case it should be leaps ahead of P3D;  it has limited 3rd party products currently available, and has terrible ATC and weather. 

P3D is lacking behind X-Plane in some areas, but its built on an engine that's been around for many years (about 12 I think) so there's a much bigger ecosystem in place, more mature 3rd party products are available, including scenery, airports, planes, weather such as Active Sky, REX, A2A, PMDG and many more etc.

This is in no way intended to start an argument between sims.... they each have their strengths, which is why I have them both installed on my machine. 

Ultimately it depends on what you want to do with the sim, how realistic you want it, how immersed you want to be. 

Research both P3D and X-Plane..... but the only reason for FSX is if you have spent a fortune in add-ons over the years, and you're re-installing onto another computer without wanting the hassle of upgrading all your add-ons..... it doesn't make sense to install FSX these days.

2 hours ago, Shotgun Steve said:

thank you for your reply. I think I do want X plane 11 it's just I'm so tempted by the fantastic ftx scenery for England and the global base pack, also uk2000 seem to be the only developer on the planet who has made egnm Leeds which looks fantastic. The problem I feel with X-Plane is I am limited to photo scenery and not a lot of aircraft and airports, this is a difficult decision. I have a powerful new rig on the way, I am an ex, fsx simmer but haven't flew for years so just getting back into it. Decisions decisions.... Things that are important to me are, 1.  cloud immersion, I have to be able to fly through clouds with zero visibility I remember Rex didn't offer this,  as I flew into a cloud it would just disperse. 2,  turbulence I would love to bump up and down when flying through bad weather, 3. I need Leeds Bradford Airport preferably payware. 

Xplane has a vast library of free aircraft and scenery, some of it up to payware standards and of course OrbX are doing the whole of Great Britain.

As far as airports go there is a free Bradford airport for Xplane here, not payware standard but great for free.

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/37532-egnm-leeds-bradford-airport-xp11/

There is even a free scenery for Leeds itself here.

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/41712-leeds-vfr/

Also FSX sceneries can be converted to Xplane using a free 3rd party tool.

It usually works very well but isn't perfect so you may need to manually edit any errors.

The ATC ins't great by any means but is currently reeving a faceover and is already improved in 11.3 beta (still away to go though)

I find Xplanes clouds and weather adequate but there are 3rd party programs to customise both. (you can't see in clouds)

Ultimately though you will just have to research and make your own mind up. You can try Xplane demo for free though personally I don't think it really shows off the sim that well.

16 hours ago, TerryM said:

P3D is lacking behind X-Plane in some areas, but its built on an engine that's been around for many years (about 12 I think) so there's a much bigger ecosystem in place, more mature 3rd party products are available, including scenery, airports, planes, weather such as Active Sky, REX, A2A, PMDG and many more etc.

Actually, it's a common misconception that X-Plane isn't old, it's starting to grow grey hairs now and has been around for a long time. v1 was out many moons ago and cost an arm and a leg. It continued to be developed after FSX was cancelled, so it's a pretty mature flight sim.

But as you say, P3D inherited the very big FS9/FSX ecosystem so there are much more in the way of payware products out there. I think in terms of freeware, the X-Plane community is presently bigger.

13 hours ago, Shotgun Steve said:

Thank you for taking the time to reply.  With regards to my post. Does anyone know when Orbx will release Northern and Central Britain?   I've searched but cannot see any release details.

Central will start internal beta testing shortly, we're hoping to have some info and screenshots soon. 

Thanks for your replys. I'll probably go with X plane. The amount of scenery for fsx is tempting but like you say, the core game is very old. (Although I do remember back in 2009 saying.. "in ten years time I'll be able to play this game on high settings") :wacko:  Lastly, can anybody please advise me on what add on will give me the best 3d night lighting?  This is also very important to me.  Many thanks

Hi Steve - I've been flying Microsoft Flightsim and derivatives since the mid 80's. After a break for a few years (I got sick of the OOM errors) and spending my time in DCS and Elite:Dangerous instead I recently got back into the scene - prompted by the release of True Earth. I got X-Plane and I've been super impressed by the quality of the base package, the community, the active developers and the ease of use of the software. There are some excellent add-on planes (the new TBM is amazing) but I do hope that A2A and PMDG start developing for X-Plane (PMDG did one plane, but not heard much since), but that's the only area I'd have P4D ahead at the moment.

On 11/6/2018 at 5:12 PM, Shotgun Steve said:

Thanks for your replys. I'll probably go with X plane. The amount of scenery for fsx is tempting but like you say, the core game is very old. (Although I do remember back in 2009 saying.. "in ten years time I'll be able to play this game on high settings") :wacko:  Lastly, can anybody please advise me on what add on will give me the best 3d night lighting?  This is also very important to me.  Many thanks

Xplane 11 night lighting is actually very good but there are various add ons to customise to your tastes including freeware and payware programs.

You really should join Xplane forums to get the best information on Xplane related products, scenery etc.

https://forums.x-plane.org

Archived