No landmark buildings appearing after TE UK install

Hught

I wonder if someone can help. I installed TE UK (X-Plane 11/ Windows7) successfully and have checked the order is correct in scenery_packs.ini but I see no landmarks - in their place are modern block buildings. Tintagel appears like a DHI Depot! The rest of the TE scenery shows up just fine. I checked my version of MS Visual C++ and it needed repairing but this was after installing TE UK and I wonder if that had an effect. I've tried different display settings. I dread having to download the scenery again and re-installing - is there a workaround? Anyone had the same issue? Many thanks.   

I am not official OrbX support or anything but please post your scenery.ini and check your log.txt for any errors.

It sounds like you are seeing Xplane autogen in place of landmarks which is usually a sign of scenery.ini being incorrect.

It could be that there isn't a custom building for that location so I would fly over London and see if all the landmarks there are present - if so it can only be there is no custom building for it as yet. 

Thanks David - I think I have the ORBX files in the correct place in scenery_packs.ini - but I notice under "Orbx_B_GB_South_Overlay/Landmarks that there are only 6 Folders:
Birkenhead/Liverpool/Cheshire/Chester/Sussex/Manchester - which makes me think I may be missing a bunch of Landmark Folders (Liverpool isn't even covered by GB_South). Hugh

scenery_packs.ini

37 minutes ago, Hught said:

Thanks David - I think I have the ORBX files in the correct place in scenery_packs.ini - but I notice under "Orbx_B_GB_South_Overlay/Landmarks that there are only 6 Folders:
Birkenhead/Liverpool/Cheshire/Chester/Sussex/Manchester - which makes me think I may be missing a bunch of Landmark Folders (Liverpool isn't even covered by GB_South). Hugh

scenery_packs.ini

Hi Hugh, those folders are just a legacy of development and not part of your issue.

Looking at your scenery packs.ini I see you have London VFR, it is possible this is conflicting scenery or is it just a library?

Remove the folder temporarily and see if that fixes things.

Normally you would place your libraries below the global airports and Xplane landmarks should be at the very top but this shouldn't make much difference to your issue.

I would also have the the Orbx A and B folders just below global airports and then libraries with the OrbX C folder at the very bottom.

The order is because scenery listed above other scenery for the same area will be placed over that scenery so having Orthos or mesh above other scenery will cause that scenery to not display.

Let me know how you get on after removing London VFR and also please test flight from EGLC (London city airport) and fly over the city see if you are getting landmarks.

A screenshot of the area you are having an issue with might also help (shift+space in Xplane)

On 10/31/2018 at 9:40 PM, david broome said:

Hi Hugh, those folders are just a legacy of development and not part of your issue.

Looking at your scenery packs.ini I see you have London VFR, it is possible this is conflicting scenery or is it just a library?

Remove the folder temporarily and see if that fixes things.

Normally you would place your libraries below the global airports and Xplane landmarks should be at the very top but this shouldn't make much difference to your issue.

I would also have the the Orbx A and B folders just below global airports and then libraries with the OrbX C folder at the very bottom.

The order is because scenery listed above other scenery for the same area will be placed over that scenery so having Orthos or mesh above other scenery will cause that scenery to not display.

Let me know how you get on after removing London VFR and also please test flight from EGLC (London city airport) and fly over the city see if you are getting landmarks.

A screenshot of the area you are having an issue with might also help (shift+space in Xplane)

Hi David. I've done what you suggested but I think with no change. As you can see from the picture, almost no landmark buildings west of London City airport EGLC and the Dome showing up as blocks (as do other landmarks, Tintagel etc). Debating doing another (huge) download and re-installing as I still wonder whether Visual C++ not being confugured properly might have contributed. Any further suggestions? Again, many thanks for your help.

Screenshot 2018-11-02 12.24.57.png

On 10/31/2018 at 9:13 PM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

I don't think so, unless we all are.

Nick are you able to offer me any help with this topic? As you can see from the picture posted to David Broome, the landmarks are just appearing as blocks (autogen?). Help very much appreciated. Hugh

38 minutes ago, Hught said:

Hi David. I've done what you suggested but I think with no change. As you can see from the picture, almost no landmark buildings west of London City airport EGLC and the Dome showing up as blocks (as do other landmarks, Tintagel etc). Debating doing another (huge) download and re-installing as I still wonder whether Visual C++ not being confugured properly might have contributed. Any further suggestions? Again, many thanks for your help.

Screenshot 2018-11-02 12.24.57.png

Hi Hugh, please post your log file from the main Xplane directory so we can see what scenery is being loaded and any errors and also your latest scenery.ini

When we manually reorder the scenery ini and save it Xplane will still try to reorder it again the first time it is run.

For this reason once editing the scenery ini and saving it is best practice to run Xplane until you hit the first menu (whether new flight or continue last flight screen) and quit out without continuing.

Then go back and recheck your scenery.ini.

If Xplane has reordered anything change it back and save again.

Now your scenery ini will stay in tact until you add or remove more custom scenery in which case you should repeat above step.

It is very unlikely your C++ package is relevant here and almost certainly that either OrbX scenery is not properly installed or it is being suppressed.

If we still cannot locate the issue from above steps then we can look at your OrbX installation.

Report the exact size of folders A,B and C. They should be 1.11 GB, 1.33 GB and 123 GB respectively.

If yours are are smaller then you should run FTX central 3 (ensure you have latest installer)

Click on OrbX TE GB South and from the menu click verify files. This process will take some time so only do it if all else has failed.

2 hours ago, david broome said:

Hi Hugh, please post your log file from the main Xplane directory so we can see what scenery is being loaded and any errors and also your latest scenery.ini

When we manually reorder the scenery ini and save it Xplane will still try to reorder it again the first time it is run.

For this reason once editing the scenery ini and saving it is best practice to run Xplane until you hit the first menu (whether new flight or continue last flight screen) and quit out without continuing.

Then go back and recheck your scenery.ini.

If Xplane has reordered anything change it back and save again.

Now your scenery ini will stay in tact until you add or remove more custom scenery in which case you should repeat above step.

It is very unlikely your C++ package is relevant here and almost certainly that either OrbX scenery is not properly installed or it is being suppressed.

If we still cannot locate the issue from above steps then we can look at your OrbX installation.

Report the exact size of folders A,B and C. They should be 1.11 GB, 1.33 GB and 123 GB respectively.

If yours are are smaller then you should run FTX central 3 (ensure you have latest installer)

Click on OrbX TE GB South and from the menu click verify files. This process will take some time so only do it if all else has failed.

Hi David - I think you may have located the problem: B = 1.33GB, C = 123GB but A is only 1.75MB and only contains the user pdf.

I attach the recent log.txt and secenery_packs.ini. I will run FTX cnetral 3 and verify as well.

6 hours ago, Hught said:

Sorry forgot the attachments.

Log.txt

scenery_packs.ini

6 hours ago, Hught said:

Sorry forgot the attachments.

Log.txt

scenery_packs.ini

Yup, looking at your log and ini files there are no obvious errors there except the dsf files from the OrbX custom folder are not being loaded which of course makes sense if they don't exist.

Could you follow the advice I gave on how to verify your OrbX installation files and report back?

I really appreciate all the help you're giving me, David. Quite surprised ORBX haven't offered more.
Installation has frozen at 73% so I am unable to verify as per your request - but I attach two screenshots of the A_Custom folder//Objects which now has a size of 718mb, so we're getting close. The options I'm offered are: to cancel the frozen installation or: Clear unfinished Orbx downloads (clear temp in settings).

True Earth Custom_.PNG

True Earth Custom_objects.PNG

22 minutes ago, Hught said:

I really appreciate all the help you're giving me, David. Quite surprised ORBX haven't offered more.
Installation has frozen at 73% so I am unable to verify as per your request - but I attach two screenshots of the A_Custom folder//Objects which now has a size of 718mb, so we're getting close. The options I'm offered are: to cancel the frozen installation or: Clear unfinished Orbx downloads (clear temp in settings).

True Earth Custom_.PNG

True Earth Custom_objects.PNG

I know this is obvious, but you do have enough disk space spare for the download?

Assuming you have enough space I would try closing FTX central without cancelling the download or clearing the cache and then reopening it to see if the download begins again.

If not you could try the verify button once more.

Remember that it also has to unpack the downloaded files which can take a long time.

I can't tell you why your download isn't working correctly (ensure you have latest FTX central installer) but if all else fails you can download manually.

Read this thread.

https://support.orbxdirect.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000096555-Installing-from-a-manually-downloaded-zip?mobile_site=true

Before you do that though you may as well try clearing cache if download still not working as you won't lose anything by trying it.

I expect OrbX support are happy with the advice I am giving you and if they have anything to add or correct me on I'm sure they will.

Hopefully you will be up and flying soon!

1 hour ago, david broome said:

I expect OrbX support are happy with the advice I am giving you and if they have anything to add or correct me on I'm sure they will.

Exactly so David, I for one have learned from you so please do continue.

None of us can know everything about everything all the time.

Sometimes the installation "freezes" because there is not enough disk space and sometimes because of this:

To Hught,

the folder is correctly 612 files and 27 folders.

In the world of computers, there is only correct or incorrect, there is no getting close.

6 hours ago, david broome said:

I know this is obvious, but you do have enough disk space spare for the download?

Assuming you have enough space I would try closing FTX central without cancelling the download or clearing the cache and then reopening it to see if the download begins again.

If not you could try the verify button once more.

Remember that it also has to unpack the downloaded files which can take a long time.

I can't tell you why your download isn't working correctly (ensure you have latest FTX central installer) but if all else fails you can download manually.

Read this thread.

https://support.orbxdirect.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000096555-Installing-from-a-manually-downloaded-zip?mobile_site=true

Before you do that though you may as well try clearing cache if download still not working as you won't lose anything by trying it.

Hopefully you will be up and flying soon!

Very happy to report that all files have now downloaded, expanded and installed correctly. I re-installed FTX Central and that did the trick. Many, many thanks for your time and help, David. If you need any Zibo 737 tips, let me know. And thank you too, Nick. Best wishes, Hugh

4 hours ago, Hught said:

Very happy to report that all files have now downloaded, expanded and installed correctly. I re-installed FTX Central and that did the trick. Many, many thanks for your time and help, David. If you need any Zibo 737 tips, let me know. And thank you too, Nick. Best wishes, Hugh

Woohoo! :D

Enjoy what is a fantastic scenery addition to Xplane

Archived