Orbx file storage

Ian St

I was just canvassing what other people do with their Orbx files?

My situation is that I have windows and P3D on a 256Gb HDD. I then have all my addons, including over 200Gb worth of Orbx files on a 500Gb internal SSD. This has about 60Gb of space left so I rapidly need to make some new other arrangements, as I can't even download the 75Gb Netherlands True-earth I bought at the moment.

My thoughts are that I will buy a 1TB external SSD, purely for Orbx. I like the idea of an external drive as I can't be bothered engaging a tech-savvy person to help install an internal drive, plus I think it future proofs things a bit as if I change my motherboard I dont need to worry about compatibility, I'll just move the external drive to my new set-up.

So, getting to the point, is anyone succesfully running Orbx installations off an external SSD, or encountered any performance issues?

Also, I am wondering  whether 1TB will be enough, given the rate of True-earth scenery being released at the size of the files (plus some more LC hopefully!). So, rather than shelling out $$$ now on a 2TB drive, I am hoping that if I need to add another drive in a couple of years, I'll be able to successfully split my Orbx folder onto two drives using the link shell software. 

Anyone see any issues with this?

Hello,

it would be very much cheaper and more effective to buy a 3 TB internal HDD

and put all your simulator files onto it. Over here, a Toshiba 3TB drive has just

cost me £68.99 off Amazon, about 128 AUD.

You are to some extent wasting your existing SSD by not using it as your C drive.

If you did, the resulting increase in performance would be across your whole PC.

As it is, that expensive drive is serving no purpose other than shaving a few

seconds off the initial loading time of your simulator.

Adding an internal HDD is not difficult, usually four thumbscrews on the case and

two to four on the drive. One power cable and one SATA cable.

Once installed in the case, setting it up can sometimes take as long as a minute,

so even if you have to pay someone to do this for you, it should not be expensive.

2 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

it would be very much cheaper and more effective to buy a 3 TB internal HDD

and put all your simulator files onto it.

You are to some extent wasting your existing SSD by not using it as your C drive.

If you did, the resulting increase in performance would be across your whole PC.

As it is, that expensive drive is serving no purpose other than shaving a few

seconds off the initial loading time of your simulator.

Adding an internal HDD is not difficult and setting it up can sometimes take as long as

a minute, so even if you have to pay someone to do this for you, it should not

be expensive.

Thanks Nick, I'll give that some thought. 

Archived