Is this the hardest strip in OZx?

John Dow

Lake MacDonald near Noosa.  Managed to get the 182RG in with just a few pine needles in the port wingtip light.  8-12 knots of crosswind dropping to 4-6 knots below 200 feet.  Although I've landed at shorter strips I don't think I've encountered one that requires such precision on the approach to get between the trees.

www.avalonvolunteers.com/FSXVideos/LakeMacDonald.wmv  20MB

To download just use www.avalonvolunteers.com/FSXVideos and select the file for download.

Would you believe that when I did this strip, I just found it on aerial imagery.  I had no real idea about it and had never been there in real life.  Since then, some family friends have actually bought the property, including the strip of course, and sent me some photos.  Interesting because I had done the strip before I ever saw these recent pics, but as you can see, it's quite realistic!  And boy, it is some approach!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

ps: I'm chuffed you like the strip :)

pss: nice landing mate!

cheers

Prof

Guest J van E

Posted Image

OT but just imagine FSX had sunlight as on this picture... If there is ONE thing I am missing in FSX, it is 'real' sunlight!

Lake MacDonald is one of the prettiest and most enjoyable strips in OZx - but not one of the most difficult.  I just love the sensation of speed landing between the trees in a Spit or Duke.

Try Airey's Inlet, VIC, with its perpetual updraft.

Maleny North, QLD, with the pond, trees, slope, bend (and a "faux" runway running parallel just North of the real one).  Take off blind down the hill.

Ewen Maddock Dam, QLD, just North of Landsborough - so short you need a microlight.

Mt Brisbane, QLD, just East of Watt's Bridge at 2000' elevation - up and down-drafts on short final.

Leila's, QLD, North of Cairns - whoa Nelly!

King William III, TAS - make sure you land UP-hill.

One of MC's Blue Mtns strips near Katoomba.

bazzam did some humdingers for FS9 but hasn't done any real tricky ones for FSX.

I'm sure there are some others.  Regale us with your exploits!

Try Airey's Inlet, VIC, with its perpetual updraft.

Maleny North, QLD, with the pond, trees, slope, bend (and a "faux" runway running parallel just North of the real one).  Take off blind down the hill.

Ewen Maddock Dam, QLD, just North of Landsborough - so short you need a microlight.

Mt Brisbane, QLD, just East of Watt's Bridge at 2000' elevation - up and down-drafts on short final.

Leila's, QLD, North of Cairns - whoa Nelly!

King William III, TAS - make sure you land UP-hill.

One of MC's Blue Mtns strips near Katoomba.

bazzam did some humdingers for FS9 but hasn't done any real tricky ones for FSX.

I'm sure there are some others.  Regale us with your exploits!

Tried them all last night with the tricycle, great airstrips. I couldn't even land at Airey's Inlet because of the wind! With my engine off I was being picked up like a leaf...

Thanks for the suggestions

Kris

"Ewen Maddock Dam, QLD, just North of Landsborough - so short you need a microlight."

Got in in the C152 with a 4 knot wind at 078, quite comfotably after setting up a low and slow approach.  Now comes the hard part, taking off!

Just managed to get out, by starting bum-up against the ute full power release brakes and steer onto the strip, yoke fully back and as soon as the mains were just lifting, gave it one notch of flap, and banked right then left between the trees more or less blind over the nose.  Definitely not a by the book departure!

Archived