Wings of Prey is bloody awesome

dogdoor

I was always a fan of IL2 Sturmovik but this latest incarnation is quite simply sex on a stick!

I purchased on Steam on Friday night (6gig or  so)

P-40 (extra $3) and the Spit are a joy. Running in Simulator mode of course!

Note to Mr Moderator - I trust this doesnt break any posting guidelines? (i.e not an applicable topic - if so please delete asap).

Some pics of the last 12 hours, no edits, straight out of the game:

In sights

Posted Image

Boom!

[img width=1120 height=700]http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp256/dogdoor123/shot20100116220401.jpg

some Randoms:

[img width=1120 height=700]http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp256/dogdoor123/shot20100116220222.jpg

[img width=1120 height=700]http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp256/dogdoor123/shot20100116215739.jpg

[img width=1120 height=700]http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp256/dogdoor123/shot20100115105601.jpg

I have been grinninng like an idiot all day

;D

[img width=1120 height=700]http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp256/dogdoor123/shot20100116220151.jpg

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You won't regret it Ian! It is a blast.

Nice pic too there JayKae, The damage modeling blows me away... quite literally. Nothing like exiting a barrage of flak and coming out the other side to see your wings in tatters smoke billowing, yet still keepijng her in the air.

- on a wing and a prayer

Yep bloom is very nicely applied, not OTT. It feels just right.

The IL2 Community is pretty hardcore - or atleast it used to be. I have not ventured into online play yet. (lest I get my ass handed to me).

I will do though, once I have a handle on the campaigns

The offline campaign has me riveted. - very engaging and quite challenging. 

There are also single player modes that you can vary the content of.

The tutorials are also very good. The older IL2 ones were less than great...

This is a stand alone (new) game. As distinct from IL2

Appears to be a new graphics engine.

And not free game - this a payware game, with aircraft being developed as addon payware (there is one so far) P-40

Just been and looked on the site it has made my mind up i will be installing my spare drive into my flightsim pc ready to buying this next weekend and then install it to its own drive, with a few of the extra aircraft they also look mighty fine as well.

cheers

Iain

I have been trying the demo for the past few days. It is indeed pretty.

The rain effects are excellent. As is the watching the shadows play around the cockpit when turning into the sun.

Sounds silly but is most impressive to watch.

I would love that& the damage models incorporated into FSX/Next

Whilst it is an apple's & tractor's comparison it does make FSX look a little dowdy & dated.

(I will go & wash my mouth out now :)

Regards

Warwick

Hope it's alright to say this, but looking throo the posts there and someone was talking about how to buy this.

It was suggested that torrents were available. WHAT???

Aren't they where all the games and such are pirated?

Then I read on and it appears that the manufacturer is using it as a way to sell the game. Am I right?

It's all too scarey for me. I'd like the game and will probably buy it. I bought Dirt2 recently from steam and it was Dirt Cheap....hahaha, sorry bad pun! But it really was, I was gonna pay 100 bucks from EB and bought it from steam for 50 bucks. Don't know how you'd go reinstalling after an upgrade tho.

I'll have to put this on another drive, tho, as my 160gb is only for FSX/FTX.

Frank

What did you have to go and show this to me for? LOL.

I'm going to be loking into this. I'd long ago stopped really looking at PC game - usually leave gaming for the Xbox these days, but this does look really good. The last combat flight sim I had for the PC was Lock-On. This looks good - I can just see Patrick shooting me down for real now lol.  ;)

Hehe. But I don't wanna be a Nazi pilot. :(

Oh ok mate - defect, we need all the good pilots we can get!  :)

No offence intended by my original post btw, I think you probably know me well enough from our online flights to know I'm a smart-arse by now.  ;)

Hope it's alright to say this, but looking throo the posts there and someone was talking about how to buy this.

It was suggested that torrents were available. WHAT???

Aren't they where all the games and such are pirated?

Then I read on and it appears that the manufacturer is using it as a way to sell the game. Am I right?

They are not selling a pirated game, they have the option of using a .torrent to DISTRIBUTE the file. In other words, you buy a game key, download the files, install using your unique key and then fly. It's all perfectly legal and many smaller game makers have been using .torrents to distribute their games and patches for years.

and someone was talking about how to buy this.

Frank

I purchased this on Steam for $44 US. For the uninitiated Steam is an integrated online secure purchase tool / game updater / game loader / built in community tool for chat /etc / etc. I am a fan of the overall utility of this application. http://store.steampowered.com/

Blackjack, i think that the game is possibly built on a larger arcade concept - might have even gone out to psp's and xbox in the arcade style first and was further developed into PC for simulator support? This would need some research to confirm though. It is not a pure simulator by any stretch of the imagination. Nor is it  a replacement for FSX! To use Warwicks charming metaphor it would be like comparing "apple's & tractor's"

I think i spend way too much time with Lawyers (my official disclaimer):

Folks if in doubt get the free demo version first! - in any event don't hold me accountable if ya buy it and later discover that you don't like it

Yes sure did i will be getting the mustang, spitfire and one or two others i cant wait to have a tootell around in this as i said i will be installing a seprate drive for this in the morning in readiness it does look like a v key dream to me.

cheers

Iain

I agree. The Track IR is seemless - really places you nicely in the virtual cockpit and leaning forward to sight the crosshairs feels pretty natural. I hear 3d does not work so well tho, the cross hairs get confuzzled

Looking at the youtube vids for this it does look stunning, but many of them have terrible stutters, although the recommended PC specs don't seem that high.

Am downloading the demo but are peoples' experiences generally that gameplay is smooth?

Archived