Corrupt texture.cfg file

I think I remember Nick once remarking that P3D is prone to crashing if the texture.cfg file has been corrupted.  Is this the case, does anyone know or remember?  I think this is what is happening to me since my install yesterday of REX SkyForce clouds and textures, but not 100% sure.

Hello Stewart, it is and also if the scenery.cfg is corrupt.

In both cases though, it tends to refuse to start.

I doubt that installing those products would have had any effect

on either cfg file.

Try deleting the terrain.cfg file, P3D will replace it and if you run

FTX Central, that will put back the Orbx entries.

Thank you, Nick, though it's difficult to understand how the terrain.cfg file was corrupted by the REX installing its textures.  I'll first try restoring default clouds and textures through the REX program and see what happens, rather than a complete reinstall of the texture.cfg.  Actually, problems began when P3D started crashing and Event Viewer indicated there was an ATAPI error.  I think I cleared that up because I don't get that error anymore.  But the sim keeps crashing at the same point, so figured something new is causing the crashes.  A corrupt texture.cfg was the first thing that came to mind.

Deleting terrain.cfg and a rebuild by P3D didn't prevent the ctd.  I'm beginning to think something I did yesterday corrupted P3D and I'll have to do a complete re-install.  I've made backups per your (Nick) previous advice, but I'm really not looking forward to this.

Hello Stewart 

Are you able to launch Prepar3D ?   Or does this crash happen in flight ? 

Mostly texture programs will add to and or modify these locations,   ShadersHLSL,  Textures,   Effects\Textures,  Scenery\World\Texture,  Scenery\Global\Texture,  Sound  (And maybe More)

Does the Rex control panel have a  "Cloud Sizing algorithm"  option ?   This modify's the ShadersHLSL folder

For certain , If i was to use a texture program I would then delete my Shaders folder and let Prepar3D generate this again when launched next.

---

Before you take any big action I would first remove some generated files to see if this small step resolves your Issue

The Topic below will run you through some steps.   Note:  Instead of deleting the scenery.cfg file just Click and Move this file onto your desktop so you can use it again if required 

Remove these 5 generated files and folders 

Hello, Elaine.  Thanks for your advice.  I had read your instructions for deleting the "5 generated files and folders", and deleted all but the scenery.cfg, but the sim still crashed after trying to load into the airport--it didn't matter which airport btw.  I have since re-installed the complete backup of my P drive where the sim and all of its files and folders reside, and with a few adjustments the sim is running again.  My main trouble is that the REX SkyForce program either causes the sim to freeze or ctd about 17 or so minutes into a flight if SkyForce is running in the background.  REX support and I are trying to figure out why.  In the process of trying some solutions, I ran into the problem which I described in my post above--the sim crashing upon loading into the airport.  There have been other folks who have had this problem of SkyForce running in the background and causing P3D to crash, but thus far we haven't been able to solve my situation.  If you have any ideas why this might be happening, I would surely appreciate your advice.  Thus far, I can only use the program to generate its cloud types and textures, install them into P3D, exit SkyForce, and then run the sim--without problems or ctds.  This isn't so bad, but it would be nice to run the program in the background and take advantage of its other features while the sim is running.

Best Regards,

Stew

Hi, Elaine.  Thanks for your concern.  Yes, I finally got P3D to run properly after a complete restore of my P drive, as I've described above.  Up until this afternoon, Pacific Daylight Time, however, I kept getting crashes as I've described above whenever SkyForce was running in the background.  This afternoon, however, I had P3D rebuild %LOCALAPPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3d v4, this on suggestion from REX Support.  I have since been able to fly two flights, both over an hour each, without a ctd or freeze-up.  It appears that something in that appdata folder was the culprit, but God only knows what the exact problem was or what caused the problem in the first place.  That simple replacement avoided a complete re-install of P3D, which I was not looking forward to.

Thanks again for your input. 

Cheers!

Stew 

Archived