Missing plane pics in menu screen

I am having problems with Prepar3d with selecting planes in the menu screen. The plane pics are missing. My question is can I delete and reinstall Prepar3D without losing my orbs files s they take a very long time to download. Can I back up my scenery files and then reimport it back into my new reinstall.

thanks 

Best bet first up is to click on the Setup_Preap3D.exe file to install and it'll give you the option to repair or uninstall.    Try the repair function it should fix it without affecting any add on files.

An uninstall of P3D and reinstall leaves add-on files in place, such as ORBX etc.  However many fies such as Controls and scenery.cfg etc are returned to default.

So, before reinstalling, it would be a good idea to replicate what I did below and then you have a bacjkup strategy.

I recently completely wiped my P3DV4.3 install and reinstalled it from the ground up.

I copied the entire P3D folder to another drive.

A also copied the following folders:

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin

C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Orbx

C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\Orbx systems

C:\Users\John\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons

C:\Users\John\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Files

That gave me all the current set up files.

After installing the new P3DV4.3 and confirming it worked, I set about locating and replacing all the files/folders to bring me back to square one.

The P3D folders that I merged to old ones into included:

Autogen

Effects

gauges

Modules

ORBX

Scenery

SimObjects

Texture

*********However in your case... the SimObjects folder needs to be treated with caution as it is there that the thumbnails reside as far as I know.   You may need to reinstall all your aircraft rather than copying from the backup location. *-*************

as well as any files in the previous P3DV4 root directory that were in addition to the default ones .

I then merged all the C:\Users saved folders into the new ones.

When I ran FTXCentral it found all my sceneries and configured the sim.

I still had a few loose ends to tidy up, EZCA, Active Sky, Track IR all benefitted from a reinstall, but all in all it only took about 3 hours to return the sim to its original condition.

Archived