Floating houses - PNW & KEGE Vail

shhmule

Hi team,

I'm consistently seeing floating houses in Pacific Northwest region in the Olympic Peninsula and Orcas Islands.
It's also happening near Eagle Country Airport and Vail Colorado.

Sometimes I can fly past and everything is mostly ok, but other times the same group of houses will be floating.
Have tried setting mesh & texture resolution to 100%, but that didn't fix it. Refreshing the scenery doesn't help either.
If I slew into the area fast, the houses start off on the ground, but as the terrain sharpens up and loads, the houses take flight.

Most areas are fine, but about 7 separate areas across Vail & PNW have this issue.
All my airports are correctly elevated, and custom buildings don't float either.

I don't have any other addons in effect, and don't have FTX global or anything.

The only setting I didn't try adjusting was Terrain Tessellation, it's about 60%.

See screenshots:

West Vail, Colorado, CRM

29336584308_a54de4849a_o.png

41397914370_349b6e45c3_o.png

View from eastern end of West Vail, you can see most buildings are pretty close to the ground, with a few floating a few feet. In the back of the shot is the floating ones 50-100 feet up.

41397912750_b3a070882f_o.png

Above screenshot taken from location below (looking South-west along the valley)

41397910920_4d6ec6c2ba_o.png

G'day there, 

Unfortunately this is a well-known bug in the FSX and P3D engine and not much that we as developers can do it about it, though Lockheed Martin are aware of it, and fingers crossed we will get a solution at some point. There are a myriad of factors, but we notice that it affects areas with higher-resolution meshes more often (though not exclusively). Refreshing your scenery library mid-flight will almost always fix the issue at any given time, though this isn't always practical. 

Cheers

Jarrad

Hi Jarrad,

Thanks for the info.
So I'm not the only person with floating houses in those areas?

I have tried refreshing the scenery, but it doesn't seem to fix the float.

It is intermittent though, some flights the exact houses will be stuck to the ground, but other flights they're not.

No other recommendations?

Cheers.

Sam

You are not alone with this problem. Sometimes the flying houses appear, sometimes a scenery refresh helps but not always, flying same area another day no more flying houses ...

Through the years many users reported this "phenomenon".

Holger Sandmann and other very experienced developers commented this like Jarrad did above.

There are no solutions at this time (I'm afraid)

15 minutes ago, Dieter said:

Through the years many users reported this "phenomenon".

Thanks for info.

I'm very new to P3D, having switched from FS2004. Very little experience with "well known" phenomena.

But I'll learn!

Cheers :D

Archived