Time Warp

antonvs

11 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Nice pic Anton but I don't get it.  :huh:

Jack, as John said Ansett were one of Australia’s two National Airlines which operated for decades and started by an Australian icon Sir Reginald “Reg” Ansett. 

There is an interesting tale of how Sir Reg got into the Transport business. He wanted to start a Bus line from a Western country Victoria town of Hamilton. At the time Bus lines in Victoria were run by the State Government who soon vetoed this young upstart and put a ban on private commercial buses. This did not stop this resourseful man who then run the bus service for nothing, charging £1 ($2) for a fresh (compulsory) Orange that was handed to each passenger. When the government went to block this venture he quitely started an Airline to cover the route as Airlines came under Federal control.

1 hour ago, antonvs said:

Jack, as John said Ansett were one of Australia’s two National Airlines which operated for decades and started by an Australian icon Sir Reginald “Reg” Ansett. 

There is an interesting tale of how Sir Reg got into the Transport business. He wanted to start a Bus line from a Western country Victoria town of Hamilton. At the time Bus lines in Victoria were run by the State Government who soon vetoed this young upstart and put a ban on private commercial buses. This did not stop this resourseful man who then run the bus service for nothing, charging £1 ($2) for a fresh (compulsory) Orange that was handed to each passenger. When the government went to block this venture he quitely started an Airline to cover the route as Airlines came under Federal control.

This is so cool Anton!  Thanks for this, any airline trivia like this is always interesting to me.  Imagine all the hassles this poor guy had to deal with but he finally got an airline going.  And I love the story about the oranges, that was a brilliant idea!

An excellent image Anton showing Australia's best airline which is now just a distant memory.

I can remember these 732's up against TAA's A300s when I first came to Australia.

They called them the sporty 737 in their ads.

Archived