A new VAS record?

Triplane

Slow day here again today. So....I loaded up P3Dv4, moved all the sliders full-right, and decided to fly around True Earth Netherlands. Using Process Explorer, the VAS shows to be only 40.5 GB :lol:. Not a typo...it actually shows 40.5 GB (physical RAM usage is 6.5 GB). I saved the flight, shut everything down and then reloaded the flight just saved. And the VAS went down....all the way down to 38.1 GB. Can this be right? I mean, come on, 40.5 GB? Sheeez..........Doug

High VAS usage is not untypical of photoscenery because it typically uses a unique texture for every single area within it.

Other scenery uses a smaller group of textures which are repeated.

VAS is effectively a pre-allocation of everything the simulator can potentially access during a flight and will fluctuate over the course of using the simulator as you fly between different areas.

Thanks guys. I understand the ins-and-outs of VAS and I'm not concerned about a high number. It's just that I've never seen anything like that before. But that could well be because I've flown very little photoscenery before and I've never paid any attention to the VAS numbers the few times I've tried it. Now I understand why there may never be any True Earth scenery for a 32-bit process. I learn something new most every day..........Doug

Archived