Canberra and CityScape

8 hours ago, Aussie123 said:

Shot of a Kookaburra on the balcony railing for you Jack.

...Along with a couple of other aviation types that came, in on a short final, for refuelling. (Rainbow Lorikeets and grandson)

These are awesome Aussie!  Are these wild birds?  Man you are lucky, birds here are all dull and drab and would never let you feed them.  And that Kookaburra is VERY cool!  I wish I lived in Australia, what a beautiful set of photos.  Can you feed the Kookaburras too?  Thanks for these photos, and your grandson is cute, you're very fortunate.

Oh, flying an inverted 530 over that site is still high on my list, maybe even today.  I looked at that NASA site, it's amazing at just exactly how many things this antenna can track at one time.

On 6/2/2018 at 1:42 AM, Aussie123 said:

They were tracking Juno and good old Viking II while we were there. Also have a 2 inch piece of the moon on display in the exhibition.

Great information Aussie123

I would like once to see this small piece of the moon...And to compare it to moon's meteorite fallen on Earth...

Also funny to think about this small part of the moon back on Earth...around  4.5 billion of years after its first encounter

(some superficial parts of the moon being originally parts of the Earth taken when the 2 "planetoids" were smashing together :

"While the Earth is thought to have formed more than 4.5 billion years ago, the moon came millions of years later, after an object the size of Mars smashed into the young planet.

A layer of iron and other material deep in the Earth’s interior is proof the moon formed from the remnants.")

Hello Jean,

It is always interesting to contemplate the lunar sample out at Tidbinbilla. It certainly made an impression on a young visitor I had with me last week. The night before, I had pointed to the nearly full moon over Canberra and explained that we were going to see a part of it close up the next day.

It was collect during Apollo 11 by Buzz Aldrin in 1969 and is about 75mm (3 in) tall. In the old days, it was well secured in a small case within a large display case exhibit. Now, it is on a podium by itself and you can get to look at it from only 15-20 cm (6 in) away. Very thought provoking.

Aussie

Moon Rock Apollo 11.jpg

Aussie, that's so cool!  Recently I went to the free Macon Air Museum here in Georgia and was fortunate to be there when NASA was there with some extremely tiny slices of moon rock encased in plastic.  They were thinner than a piece of paper and about the size of an American dime.  They needed a small microscope to be seen.  Not at all like this beauty.  I remember when they landed, I was ten and glued to the TV for every last mission.

Having a rock this big so close to you is really cool, I'd have to drive all the way to Florida and that's IF they had some on display.

Great photo you took, thanks so much for this and it brings back a lot of memories.  Those guys were my heroes.  I even got a slide rule as a kid and taught myself how to use it because remember all the guys at mission control always walked around with slide rules in their hands?  Man those were exciting days.

Archived