FSX Crash - Missing Scenery Libraries

Shortlander

I own most of the PNW Orbx airports and fly at low altitude (GA)

FSX SP2 systematically crashes at a specific location when I fly towards CYCD (Nanaimo) from the San Juan area.

I believe this is due to as many as about 20 missing scenery libraries suddenly piling up as FSX attempts to load some Orbx scenery (see some of the alerts I am getting in the attachment)

Could someone at Orbx have a quick look at some of the GUIDs attached and let me know which scenery specifically I should reinstall to fix the issue ? There are so many alerts and Orbx products in the area that I am not sure where to start.

Thank you in advance,

Best,

Missing Scenery Library Object.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Doug, and sorry for the late feedback.

I updated the "AA" libraries after deleting the txt file you mentioned. Unfortunately I still get the same 21 alerts as I approach CYCD... 

Would you have any alternative suggestion ?

Best,

Hello,

I would suggest that you disable the lines in your fsx.cfg file.

The function is intended for developers and unless there is another

fault in the same place, not relevant to day to day simulator use.

//ShowMissingTextureAlert=1
//MissingLibraryAlert=1

or 

ShowMissingTextureAlert=0
MissingLibraryAlert=0

Hello,

To add to what  Nick said above,  in general, a missing object (eg a .bgl) should not cause the sim to crash. I'm assuming you have attended to the basics; antivirus exemptions, re-installed the Orbx Libs, that you have monitored your VAS and you are not running out at the time of the crash, etc. There are a fair number of generic problems that are not specific to a given addon.

There is no GUID catalog for Orbx products that will give the name of the object based on the GUID.  Even if you knew that you still  don't know where it is used.  There is an online catalog of default FSX scenery objects.  You could Google one or two of the GUIDs to see if something pops up. But again, just knowing the object name won't help much. I suggest not bothering with this.

I would suggest a brute force approach which may save time in the long run. Disable all Orbx scenery, and  all other addons, and all but default aircraft.  Check for a crash.   Assuming you find none, next, add one half of the Orbx scenery back (include FTX PNW) and check for a crash.  If no crash, add half of the remaining Orbx scenery back and so on, you get the idea. It should not take too long to narrow down the addon that's causing the problem. If it's a particular Orbx scenery, let FTXC3 re-install it.  The caveat however is that some crashes are caused by overloading your hardware and in this case it's not necessarily  specific to a given addon. It can be the straw that broke the camel's back.

In checking various sceneries, do so with only default aircraft and without other addons.  If you can load all your sceneries and yet not have a crash using no other addons, now you can start adding them back to see if you can isolate the cause.

Dear Nick, Dear Larry,

Thank you for your guidance. If there are no ways to further narrow down the issue other than through "brute force", then I will slowly try that overtime. I was hoping to avoid that as I believed GUID could point more precisely to specific scenaries. Forgive my ignorance.

As a background, just to clarify: I monitored the VAS before writing my initial post and I cannot see any problem there. As I could not understand what was going on I tried to narrow down by turning on the ShowMissingTextureAlert. I normally use FSX with this line removed from the FSX config file as noo-ne really needs these pop-ups mid-flight anyway, as you both rightly point out.

Turning the alert on is how I found out that there were 21 missing scenery alerts at the very place I systematically got kicked out of FSX. I guess there must be some sort of overflow because I normally do not get kicked out when the ShowMissingTextureAlert is turned ON. But this is a 100% when I turn it off (again, always at the exact same position, when the textures load). Luckily, I rarely get a software crash (if at all) in any other circumstances when I am using FSX.

Anyway - thanks again for taking the time. I will post if I can find out something of general interest after more investigation.

Best,

Archived