Missing Scenery and Slow Loading since update

VH-DUX

Hi,

A recent Windows 8.1 update caused FSX to load very slowly and to miss scenery, particularly the City of Melbourne. This led me to roll back the PC to  a previous restore point and then use FTX central to reinstall the scenery. There was a bit of a diversion when I had to cross license my old DVD based Australia SP3, and get FTX Central to handle it, which it now does.

So now, I have all of my scenery and planes installed, but FSX takes ages to load , and once it has, there is no city of Melbourne. The surrounding airports are all there, and the geography looks ok, but instead of Melbourne there is bare earth, and a helipad.

Obviously, I haven't been able to fully restore the damage caused by the update, and I don't know what to do next, as I have uninstalled and reinstalled everything, tried turning on and off scenery in the FSX scenery library, but nothing seems to help.

I recognise that ORBX is not at fault but I hope that someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

VH-DUX

Hooray. I just turned off every scenery in the FSX scenery list, that it would let me turn off, and then on again and it is now working.

How do these Microsoft updates do this???

Foggy.

Hi All,

So now I have recovered most of my (Melbourne) scenery to nearly what I had before the windows update, but I still have three remaining issues:

1. FSX is very slow to load, with most of the time spent "Not Responding".

2. My Melbourne scenery looks to me like generic microsoft scenery instead of ORBX scenery, with the Airports and landmarks sitting on top. For example, the city of Melbourne has all of the right buildings but they are sitting on roads that are not aligned, or anything like the real ones.

3. A number of areas of bare  earth. For example Royal Park and the area around the zoo is a large brown patch.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Foggy.

Hi,

1.  The slow loading could be caused by a number of things;  ie your PC specs, whether you have a HDD or SSD, your operating system, the number of addons you have active in the scenery.cfg etc.

2.  Please post some pictures with clear coordinates.

3.  Please post some pictures with clear coordinates.

Cheers,

Thanks Scott,

Any help would be gratefully received.

The slow running and missing scenery has only arrived since a recent windows update. Nothing else was changed. I've since rolled back the update, and the situation I have described is what is left.

I have Windows 8.1

I have HDD not SSD

I will post some screenshots of the obvious faults.

Do you think I should delete my config file and see what happens then??

Foggy

It may be worth a try.  Try deleting your fsx.cfg file.  Also open up FTX Central 3, go to settings and use the "Library insertion point" tool, then save, to ensure your entries are placed where they should be.   

Make sure your FTX libraries are up to date, or even do a re-installation.

To do so, go to  ".....\FSX\ORBX\User Documents\Versions" and delete the file "FTX_AA_ORBXLIBS.TXT"

Then open up FTX Central 3, and reinstall the FTX libraries.

Also in FTX Central 3 run the "Force Migration".

Try doing all these steps before you restart the sim.

If none of this helps, also try to reinstall the Australia scenery, and run the migration tool again after you have done so.

Cheers,

• Nick Cooper changed the title to Missing Scenery and Slow Loading since update

Hi Scott,

Magnificent! That fixed it. I did have a screen shot of the bare earth in Carlton, but not much point in using it now.

FSX took only 4 minutes to get flying, which is not too bad, and everything is back to what it was now.

Thanks Microsoft for wasting another few hours of my life.

Thanks Scott.

Foggy

Archived