HELP - Invisible aircraft using EU products

Ian Wilson

Hi I'm still a beginner with ORBX & FSX having loaded  FTX Global: Base, openLC Europe, openLC North America, Vector and  Trees HD at Christmas.  Love the scenery and all was working well with Just Flight payware products.  I have just loaded EU England, Scotland and Wales (which I love) but have developed some interesting issues in that my Just Flight products have become transparent to various levels and as such unusable.  I can however see my payware Carenado A36 Bonanza and all FS default aircraft as normal. See attached screenshots and settings.  Can anyone offer and  solutions/help please?

Ian Wilson

Invisible aircraft.xps

Hi.  You could try deleting your shaders.

Go to ".......Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX" and delete the Shaders folder.  New shaders will be built upon reload of the simulator.

BTW, I am not sure what a .xps file is.  To post screenshots which can be viewed on the forum, please see this thread:

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/122913-how-to-post-a-screenshot/

Alternatively, you could use this site:

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/

Cheers,

@Scott Harmes & @dexthom Actually XPS is a Microsoft OS native product "XPS Viewer" which arrived with Win7, it is used to view .xps files containing text and pictures, create them with MS Office and save as .xps (very handy tool).

Hello Ian Wilson,

Do you by any chance use VRS TacPack ? It has been known to cause transparency issues when VRS.dll module is loaded, you can choose not to load the module upon sim start, or you can disable it in your dll.xml file.
and

Is this FSX:MS + Acceleration or FSX:SE ?  Do you have the  HIGHMEMFIX=1 entry  in the  [GRAPHICS] section of your FSX.cfg ? If not present also known to affect transparency. 

I notice that you use 5760 x 1080 x 32  x 3 monitors - 1920 x3?

Hi Jeff, I'm on FSX:MS + Acceleration. No not using VRS TacPack and can't find a HIGHMEMFIX=1 entry  in config but not sure if I'm in the right place..

I've always used 5760 x 1080 x 32  x 3 monitors as this was set by Alpine Computers when they built the  system. Up to now its worked well.

Thanks Ian

Hi Ian,

If you navigate to this location  C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.cfg   there you will find your fsx.cfg file (open with notepad) if you use the find function, search for [GRAPHICS] (including brackets) then check to see if HIGHMEMFIX=1 is present in that section, if not make a space just below the  [GRAPHICS]  header and insert HIGHMEMFIX=1 close notepad with red X and you will be prompted to save click yes or OK,  you can copy/paste HIGHMEMFIX=1 it exactly as typed.

Thanks for letting us know you don't use TacPack, and the 3 screen res should not present an issue,  it was just my curiosity because I also use a GTX770 and DX9 Default shaders but only on a single monitor. No transparency issues observed so far.

Hi Ian,

I'm out of ideas for the moment, I don't have the JF aircraft mentioned, in my hangar to perform any checks. All the usual known suspects seem to have been eliminated including the fact you have Acceleration installed. (some users experienced transparent user aircraft because they forgot to install either FSX/SP2 or Acceleration) but you mention that your Default aircraft and the Carenado Bonanza are displaying correctly.
As this seems to be related to the JustFlight PW aircraft mentioned in your (xps) perhaps you could open a support ticket with JF.

Hi Jeff thanks.  I have gone back to basics this morning and uninstalled/reinstalled these aircraft and this has resolved the issue!

I have also noticed that a few of my freeware aircraft are now displaying in both the preview window and in FSX virtual screens as grey colour only without and paint detail.  They seem to fly ok.  This is a larger issue as I cant remember where I downloaded them!

I think this is a wider ORBX issue as it only happened either when I installed EU or when it did a file update not 100% sure which.  Perhaps they need to look into that a bit more?

Thanks for your help Jeff. Regards Ian

Hello Ian,

this is far more likely to be that you have selected the Preview Direct X 10 box in your display settings.

This is the very well documented cause of FS9 aircraft models displaying as grey in colour.

You should not need to download them, if they were missing textures, they would display as black or

light blue with a Microsoft logo.

The installation of scenery cannot possibly affect aircraft installations, as the installation of aircraft

cannot possibly affect scenery installations, no matter how many unfounded assumptions are made.

Hi Ian,

I concur with Nick, in his above post,  it is not an Orbx issue, but also as you appear to not to be using your sim in Preview DX10 mode (according to your xps) and are seeing grey aircraft in preview and on the (Virtual screen) don't know what you mean by "Virtual screen" though? Perhaps a couple of pictures of those screens might show what you mean.

Since you are running FSX in Default DX9 mode, it might prove beneficial to run the "DirectX9 End-User runtime updater (Web Installer)" It will check your current DX9c runtime files, and update those files to the most recent versions.
In the link below you will open the MS update DX9 End-User Runtime WebInstaller  (Download) It might immediately offer the DX9c updater / Downloader, Choose "Run" and Accept the MS agreement, click Next and let the Direct X installer run, It will tell you what needs updating after initialising and scanning, then advise of updates which may need to be installed, if "none" then it will finish with message saying: "Newer or equivalent already installed" Just click Finish unless it has found files to update, for update/s found they may install automatically but follow the prompts, when complete click "finish".

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=35

HI Jeff thanks this resolved the grey aircraft issue.....however everything seems to be on a go slow with some scenery juddering where it was smooth before.  FPS has gone from 30-50 to 15-20 at the airfield I use as  a datum benchmark.  It all works just a noticeable judder and an occasional section of the scenery goes black for a few seconds. Any ideas?

Thanks for your time and support I think I have a long way to go on the learning front.  Does anyone run any master classes?

Regards  Ian 

Hi Ian,

Glad to hear that updating DirectX 9 runtime, has fixed your grey aircraft.

9 hours ago, Ian Wilson said:

It all works just a noticeable judder and an occasional section of the scenery goes black for a few seconds. Any ideas?

This unfortunately is classic resource exhaustion, you can alleviate this to some extent by CPU overclocking @4.2 and above, or by reducing your FSX autogen slider, traffic levels, and water setting.  Black tiles appearing then resolving is typical where CPU is not keeping up, the GTX770 GPU can keep up with anything FSX might throw at it (at least it can with a single monitor) but you have 3.
I would note that your "Target frame rate is set to Unlimited", perhaps you could try locking the frame rate to 30, in that way you will not be wasting valuable CPU cycles chasing FPS. You could also if not already utilising Nvidia Inspector/Profiler, use Vertical Sync - 1/2 Refresh & Vertical Sync Tear Control - Adaptive, in an effort to smooth out stutters/judders caused by massive fluctuations between screen refresh (typically 60Hz) and FPS.  1/2 refresh 60Hz = 30Hz - Locked Frame Rate 30,  30/30.

If you would prefer to use the much more efficient DX10 API in FSX instead of default DX9, I would highly recommend Steve Parsons DX10 Fixer. Of course this will require setting your graphics according to the DX10 Fixer recommended settings.

I'd be happy to look at your current setup Hardware SpecsNvidiaCP/NVI Graphics settings and FSX.cfg - you never know there might be something in there that is tweakable. (Take a look at HW specs in my sig, Note my GTX770 is a 4Gb card, and my i7 4770k Overclocked @4.6Ghz)

Archived