NOTAM for XP11 and Orbx titles together...

Notam:

If you run with your own Ortho4XP scenery, and you also have Orbx titles, AND, you are updating the Beta run of XP11.20(x),  well, after each time you update your XP11 version, I have found out that I lose my Ortho4XP Overlays/XP11 standard...that is, I no longer get road lights, XP11 roadways, and A.I. road traffic.  ONLY, when I uninstall my only Orbx title to date, Meig's Field/ KCGX) and then REINSTALL the title, do I get back my universal overlay over the whole world, and all that it brings.   This has happened twice through two updates of XP11 beta's.

So...if you run with other Ortho, or perhaps (I dunno) even if you don't and you find that  you have lost all A.I. and roadway systems,  highway and street lighting.  Try firing up Central, and uninstall KCGX, and then re-install KCGX. I'll bet you that your XP11 returns to normal. Obviously...something within the Orbx file system, is conflicting with, or is erased (a hidden license perhaps that reads your copy that you installed any Orbx title into. So..if it is a new XP11 version, perhaps something gets conflicted or the new version overwrites some required file?) when you update your version, and will make necessary either this one title, or mostly likely any and all further content from Orbx, to have to be uninstalled and reinstalled, to get your XP11 to render XP11 overlays.  This has been my experience both times I have updated to another latest beta version, with Orbx's KCGX installed.  Only by un...and re...did I get my XP11 overlays to once more work and show up. This suggests that something is then reset in the Orbx register or XP11 itself, blah, blah.

Notam ended...

Hi @PNW User,

There are no licenses installed with KCGX at all. Additionally, KCGX does not overwrite any default X-Plane content. It only touches three directories in Custom Scenery: Orbx_KCGX_A_Merrill_C_Meigs_FieldOrbx_KCGX_C_Overlay and ZZZ_Orbx_KCGX_Merrill_C_Meigs_Field.

The only other thing that happens during installation is editing the scenery_packs.ini to add the three KCGX entries at the appropriate position.

If you'd like to verify this, you can download the cross-platform download from your account and manually install the scenery.

If you experience this issue again, can you please create a new topic in this forum and attach a copy of your scenery_packs.ini? That's the only thing I believe could be reset between versions.

@tonywob do you have any ideas about this?

21 hours ago, PNW User said:

I'll bet you that your XP11 returns to normal. Obviously...something within the Orbx file system, is conflicting with, or is erased (a hidden license perhaps that reads your copy that you installed any Orbx title into

No. FTX only installs the required scenery folders and tries to sort your scenery_packs.ini accordingly (which works quite well, but you may always edit it by yourself afterwards). There is no FTX file system in X-Plane.

If you scenery load order changes with X-Plane updates, something else is going on.

@PNW User

As Ben points out, there is no hidden logic in our sceneries, they're just like any other standard X-Plane scenery (i.e. There are no hidden files or plugins being used). There are three separate sceneries being installed, and what it sounds like is happening is that the mesh scenery beginning with "zzz_" is being placed above your orthos or HD Mesh, hence it is hiding everything below it, and uninstalling and reinstalling via central is placing the mesh back where it should be again.

Now the mystery remains on why running the X-Plane installer or updater would touch your scenery_packs.ini file, it shouldn't (unless it adds something new like 11.20 and Sydney). Do you have some third-party application that is managing this file, or are you following the often touted "bad advice" out there, to delete this file every time you add a new scenery?

As Ben again points out, if this happens again, please post us a copy of your scenery_packs.ini file before you uninstall again. This will help us determine (most likely easily) what exactly is going on.

15 hours ago, Ben McClintock said:

Hi @PNW User,

There are no licenses installed with KCGX at all. Additionally, KCGX does not overwrite any default X-Plane content. It only touches three directories in Custom Scenery: Orbx_KCGX_A_Merrill_C_Meigs_FieldOrbx_KCGX_C_Overlay and ZZZ_Orbx_KCGX_Merrill_C_Meigs_Field.

The only other thing that happens during installation is editing the scenery_packs.ini to add the three KCGX entries at the appropriate position.

If you'd like to verify this, you can download the cross-platform download from your account and manually install the scenery.

If you experience this issue again, can you please create a new topic in this forum and attach a copy of your scenery_packs.ini? That's the only thing I believe could be reset between versions.

@tonywob do you have any ideas about this?

Thanks Ben...Ok..I'll work with this info...but this has only really happened, for when I updated to a new beta...if this happens again, I contact you folks and see what could be happening. Thank you!

10 hours ago, tonywob said:

@PNW User

As Ben points out, there is no hidden logic in our sceneries, they're just like any other standard X-Plane scenery (i.e. There are no hidden files or plugins being used). There are three separate sceneries being installed, and what it sounds like is happening is that the mesh scenery beginning with "zzz_" is being placed above your orthos or HD Mesh, hence it is hiding everything below it, and uninstalling and reinstalling via central is placing the mesh back where it should be again.

Now the mystery remains on why running the X-Plane installer or updater would touch your scenery_packs.ini file, it shouldn't (unless it adds something new like 11.20 and Sydney). Do you have some third-party application that is managing this file, or are you following the often touted "bad advice" out there, to delete this file every time you add a new scenery?

As Ben again points out, if this happens again, please post us a copy of your scenery_packs.ini file before you uninstall again. This will help us determine (most likely easily) what exactly is going on.

Thank Tony...the next time I update...I will make note of where the zzz is...and then where it resides after the update. If this is the case, I will contact you, and let you know that was what it was...thanks for your reply.  I was just assuming that something needed to be (licence) there...and got messed up with each new version. Noted that this is not the case at all. 

11 hours ago, M. Donick said:

No. FTX only installs the required scenery folders and tries to sort your scenery_packs.ini accordingly (which works quite well, but you may always edit it by yourself afterwards). There is no FTX file system in X-Plane.

If you scenery load order changes with X-Plane updates, something else is going on.

Thank you for your post.  I now have some info to keep watch for.  Right now, everything is working perfectly. 

16 hours ago, PNW User said:

Thank Tony...the next time I update...I will make note of where the zzz is...and then where it resides after the update. If this is the case, I will contact you, and let you know that was what it was...thanks for your reply.  I was just assuming that something needed to be (licence) there...and got messed up with each new version. Noted that this is not the case at all. 

Hi

I use XOrganiser to manage my .ini files and have manually placed KCGX under Airports, KCGX Overlay under the Overlays folder and the ZZZ file in the Mesh folder and have not experienced any problem

Kind regards

Ian S

Archived