The night I met JFK..........

The night I met John Fitzgerald Kennedy was May 29, 1960 - his 43rd birthday. The place was the main dining room in The Lodge at Pebble Beach, California. JFK was campaigning for the California presidential primary which was to be held in early June. He decided to take a rest break and play a little golf at Pebble Beach.

My date and I had an early dinner as we were trying to get to the second showing of Ben Hur at the Golden Bough theater in Carmel (yes, they only showed film in those days). As we were asking for the check (about 9 p.m.), a party of six entered the dining room to a round of applause and were seated at the table next to us. Neither my date nor I had any idea what was going on.

But our waiter, Andre, came to the rescue. He told us that the folks at the next table were the Senator from Massachusetts, his wife, and friends (I think it was the Shriver's). The Senator's name was John Kennedy and he was running for President of The United States.

I was only 17 years old then and couldn't vote for four more years. But I knew that this was a very special occasion. As we left the table I walked over to JFK to wish him well. He stood, shook my hand, and thanked me for my thoughts. As I stood there, I looked down and was mesmerized by Jackie's incredible smile. That was a moment which will live forever in my mind.

And such are the things that Old Coots remember - and dream of. Oh, for the days of yesteryear. But never forget, the only things we will really regret in life are the things we didn't do. Listen to your heart, and do the things you've always dreamed of. Time isn't on our side.............Doug

• 6 months later...

Archived