Getting Out of Memory errors when taking off from CYYZ

Hello,

I am getting Out of Memory errors when taking off from CYYZ at night. This may be happening in other nearby areas as well. I have disabled all other addons by process of elimination, until only FTX Global remained, as a possible cause. I have FTX Global, Vector and OpenLC NA installed.

I confirmed that this is not because the airport is located in a busy area, as busier airports like KJFK worked fine, with all my addons enabled. I can also confirm that other people have see this memory issue over Canada, in relation to FTX Global, as can be seen in this post:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/477563-memory-leak-over-canada/

Why is this happening and is there a fix for it? This is pretty bad as it essentially makes the game unplayable in this area.

Hi

This is a decades old issue happening because FSX is a 32bit program that has severe limitations (especially in DX9 mode), and when you combine that with your high end PC and your complex aircraft and crank up the settings, it chews through the small amount of available VAS very quickly and produces an OOM (Out Of Memory). This is not an Orbx product issue, the added detail from Orbx products as well as other addon products are just acting as the straw that broke the camels back.

I only use FSX in DX10 mode with Steves DX10 fixer, the VAS management is vastly improved with this configuration.

Yes there is a fix for it, the new version 64bit simulators such as P3Dv4, FSW, X-Plane 11, and Aerofly FS2 were developed to eradicate this issue.  :) With your FSX, you could also try using a simple aircraft and turning down settings such as LOD at 4.5 max, and texture resolution at 1024 max, to see if that helps

Cheers

Doug

32 minutes ago, TwoWings said:

Sorry, but this is incorrect. If you read my post, I mention that everything works fine in other locations.

Yes, you are right, FSX does work well in other locations.  but it doesn't work well in the area around CYYZ, with add-ons that overcome the ability of FSX to handle the data.  Vector takes a big hit because of the complex shorelines.  The scenery is loaded with hundreds of airports.  There's a huge amount of terrain data in the area.  Night flying for some reason sucks even more out of the computer.  Add a complex aircraft that adds to the load, and you'll get OOMs.

The only choice you have in FSX is to scale back the load on the computer.  The easiest and quickest step to take first up is to reduce your LOD to medium or low.  That might fix your problem, if not, you can probably fly without Vector as the area is pretty accurately modelled.  Reduce scenery complexity sliders.  Reduce traffic settings. 

There's nothing any developer can do to get around this problem if you haven't reduced the load to what FSX can handle.  Sure, the combination of all possible add-ons does add up to greater than the program can handle but each component on its own will not cause an OOM.  It's up to the user to decide which of the available add-on options are more important and select those, while reducing the load in other areas.

49 minutes ago, John Dow said:

Reduce scenery complexity sliders.  Reduce traffic settings.

Thank you for the reply. I honestly did go through and systematically turned off all my other addons one by one, as well as reduce display settings such as complexity. I didn't even consider that this could have been caused by FTX, until I turned everything else off, and then ran into other forum threads with people having similar issues in the same general area in Canada.

The thing is, my system and FSX is not even pushed to its limit, when I play in more crowded areas. Are you saying that CYYZ is the most resource intensive area in the game as far as FTX Global / Vector is concerned?

In addition, when I run other crowded areas such as JFK, I have my full addons enabled, and FSX still works fine. By full addons I mean a scenery addon for JFK, Active Sky, UTLive, addon plane, etc, etc. Another example of a crowded area where my setup works fine is EGLL. Sure, the fps isn't as great in these places as in the sky, but I have never received this out of memory error before, and I play this game a lot.

I kept an eye on my Task Manager and it starts asking for another 50MB every second as I take off from CYYZ. I have the FTX Global Lights Configurator installed, so that could be part of the cause. Also of note, is that I don't have any addon scenery for CYYZ airport, that would make it more require more resources.

5 hours ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

I only use FSX in DX10 mode with Steves DX10 fixer, the VAS management is vastly improved with this configuration.

Just wanted to confirm that I do have Steve's DX10 fixer installed. I had to get it a while ago, in order to fix some addon sceneries that I purchased. I agree that it definitely improves performance.

Archived